Peter Jackson directing opportunity now "getting serious"

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/9514876/Peter-Jackson-talks-Dr-Who-plans

The Daleks would surrender once they see the Haka.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It would be amusing to me if the episode ended up involving something that kind of was a dragon.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

*Obligatory joke about it being over three hours on the Blu-ray special edition.*

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Please, please, please let this happen.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Peter Jackson is one of the few people who could make a fantastic Slitheen episode.

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't know. He's not god. He did direct Lovely Bones which is a pretty bad film. After all of these past EPPIIIIIICCCCC films, I wonder if he could do something small and more character driven.

7. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

If they prevent him from using 48FPS filming stuff, I'd like to see it. He can do epic. But if you give him too many toys or a blank canvas it might turn out....wonky. The first Hobbit film was horrible.

8. Skywalker

It actually wasn't horrible. Not as good as its predecessors, but far from horrible. That said, if Jackson ever does direct an episode of Doctor Who, he will be constrained by budget. So I wouldn't go in expecting him to use all these fancy filming techniques he can get away with on his massively-budgeted feature film projects.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Braindead cost 3 million dollars. I'm sure Sir Peter can manage.

10. Skywalker

Agreed.

11. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I felt hugely let down by it. The pacing was off to a large degree. I also didn't like that it felt like I was watching an XBox game. Too smooth. Too glassy. If this is the future of movies, I don't like it.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

If it's the Peter Jackson who made Heavenly Creatures then I'm in, if it's the Peter Jackson who made King Kong and who no longer seems to be able to edit his work then not so much...

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

He wouldn't have much choice about editing. It needs to fit in a time slot.

14. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surely this episode would be an epic two-part story. They wouldn't bring someone in like Jackson for just a single episode, would they?

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Also, if it's actually going to be on location in New Zealand, it seems a two-parter would be easier on the budget

16. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That depends on who'd be flying out to New Zealand - or to the UK for that matter. It's not like they'd bring the TARDIS console room set to NZ to shoot scenes. OTOH, they could build a console set that looked like the inside of a Hobbit hole, just for the occasion. :P

Speaking of which, if they secure a stupidly rich man like Peter Jackson a a director, who's to say that he couldn't open his own pocketbooks to get that extra helicopter shot of Capaldi and company walking over those snow-capped mountains for an extra twenty minutes? Or does the BBC have rules against that sort of thing?

Mark

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm also thinking that if they do this, they'll release at theaters just like The Day of the Doctor. That proved to be very successful so I'm guessing they'll try it again. And, having Jackson direct a longer story would be the perfect vehicle for that.

Mr Awe

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Good to see this is still a real possibility. I certainly hope actually happens.

19. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure I would notice if Peter Jackson directed. If you take away his big budget and WETA, what really makes Jackson's directorial style stand out? When you see a Sam Raimi film, you usually know it's a Sam Raimi film; it has a clear signature style. I just don't see a unique signature in Jackson's work.

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You would know by spotting his inevitable cameo as an extra in the background. ;)
    He would probably let himself be blasted by a Dalek. :guffaw: