Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Better than the first teaser. Less depressing. Still nothing amazing looking.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That looks, well, fantastic.

3. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks good - might upgrade this from 'Bluray' to 'cinema'.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Based on everything that I've read about the film up until now I was expecting a disaster, but that trailer was good. Really good. I want to see this movie.

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Oh, well now, that looks like a real movie - not another Marvel flick.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I still don't like the casting of Miles Teller (although he's a very good actor). Everything else looks solid.

7. Serveaux

"You've opened a door that you don't know how to close," however, will not be nominated for any awards for originality. :lol:

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know once you lock on you don't let go but I can't see how that looks much different from any other superhero trailer.

How about the "especially from people who say I don't take orders well". :)

9. Serveaux

Uh, okay I guess. :)

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That's the first thing I've seen from the film that makes me think there's a chance I might want to see it...still not completely sold, though.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

As I understand it, he looks very like the Ultimate Marvel version of Reed, though I'm not familiar with that take myself.

Agreed on his acting skills.

12. Serveaux

A moron at CinemaBlend contributed this pithy observation:

How do people that dimwitted even learn to type?

Rant all one likes about how casting is approached and why, but the question as stated is as brilliant as starting a Miscellaneous topic titled "Do You Think I Could Find Out Something About Potatoes If I Googled 'Potato?'"

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm totally unfamiliar with Miles Teller, but he seemed incredibly bland in the trailer. But as I said, everyone seems to be playing this in a subdued way. Jordan doesn't seem nearly as energetic or charismatic as he was in Chronicle, even though that's exactly how Johnny Storm should be. Honestly, I'm reminded of Superman Returns, a movie where it felt to me like the director was telling all the actors to play everything in the most subdued way possible.

14. Serveaux

There's no real resemblance between the style of the two films, but every so often people approach making one of these movies as if the characters in it might be people at least as they're generally portrayed in other films with some ambition to appeal to adults. Can't say how well that always works out.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Each trailer has made this look better. I'm still not totally blown away, and it's still fairly low on my list of movies I want to see, but it looks like it could be good. It definitely doesn't look like the total disaster a lot of us were expecting.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Meh. I'll wait for home video.

17. Serveaux

The whole "home video" thing always amuses me. If I feel like "waiting for the Blu-ray" or whatever, I can wait forever and save the time and money. :lol:

18. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

So what's the Storm family make-up?
    Sue is adopted or are they step brother and sister?
    Not really following all the news surrounding this movie and i wonder if it has been mentioned.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Or they could be biological siblings. There have been instances where the children of a "mixed" marriage -- even fraternal twins -- appear to belong to different "races":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/02/biracial-twins-lucy-maria-aylmer_n_6787294.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ple-birth-black-white-twins--second-time.html

Really, it shouldn't be any more surprising than a family where one child is brown-haired and another is blond. Children get a fairly random mix of their parents' genes, and often one child will strongly favor one parent over the other. So there's no reason it shouldn't be possible for parents of different ethnicities to have one child who looks more like the father and one who looks more like the mother.

It just underlines the fact that race is a cultural fiction with no basis in biology. The differences in appearance that we make such a fuss over are entirely superficial and genetically trivial.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If I watch it through Netflix or Redbox, then I am saving money. But I'm not going to spend $20+ in the theater to see a movie that I'm iffy on in the first place.