Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 11, 2012.

?

How do you feel about Zachary Quinto as the new Mr. Spock?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2013.
  1. GREAT Performance!!! I loved it. :)

70.7%
  2. He did okay. So far, so good.

22.0%
  3. Mmm, I'm not sure.

2.4%
  4. FAIL!!! Who hired that guy??? :o

4.9%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Except Spock is nearly ten years younger in the film than he was in TOS. Remember the smiling, loud Spock from the pilots?

And he was baited by into an emotional response by McCoy in All Our Yesterdays.

Spock evolved as a character as TOS ran, he wasn't the stoic, coldly logical character early on.

2. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Which is what I think Abrams was going for, as the scenes in which Spock tries to strangle McCoy and Kirk are similar.

3. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

You can't actually say that. NuSpock doesn't have the same career that old Spock had in TOS. Because of the destruction of the Kelvin, the Enterprise itself was built about 15 years later. . . thus, Spock and Pike (and Number One and Colt and Dr. Piper) didn't have 11 years of adventures; so the Spock in the new timeline didn't necessarily have the same influences while he was in the Academy, or afterward. . . for instance, he met Uhura 10 years earlier in the new timeline. . plus, we don't know exactly how the destruction of the Kelvin changed other things in the Federation and Starfleet (politics, diplomacy. . . was there a war/was Sarek not as home as much?), so no one's life in the new universe after that point was exactly the same.

What exactly does "emo" mean? If Nimoy's Spock had been on the ground while his planet died beneath his feet, and his connections to the billions of Vulcans snapped at that same time, plus watching as his mother, who was one second from being saved, almost literally slips from his fingers tips, you don't think he would act "emo" later, when his already fragile grasp on his emotions gets challenged? Especially about his MOTHER -- whom we know from TOS and TAS was the cause of his fights as a boy, and that he loved, but never told? As it is, Nimoy Spock is emotionally compromised because he blames himself for the destruction of Vulcan, but he is not as connected to this tragedy as new Spock is. . . Spock Prime's mother and father are already dead. . .he's not really connected mentally to the people on Vulcan in this new timeline. . . he's 130-something years older than NuSpock, has gone through Kohlinar, has died and been resurrected, has more experience being Vulcan and Human than new Spock. . . of course he is going to react differently.

I don't know what Vulcans you were watching, but it sure wasn't the ones in Star Trek. . . almost the entire race was portrayed as arrogant, sure of their superiority, cocky and self-satisfied. . . even TOS Spock wasn't immune to that portrayal at times. It took Kirk "10 seconds" because after everything that happened on that day, Spock is barely hanging on to his control as it is, and Kirk luckily picked to one thing that was shown that Spock would lose his control over, his mother and his feelings for her.

As BillJ said, Spock wasn't always the stoic, coldly logical character early in TOS, this Spock HASN'T led the same life as Spock Prime, and we never saw Spock under the emotional pressures he is under in ST09 in TOS. . .so really, you can't say how TOS Spock would react. . .

~FS

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering how utterly gutted he looked when he thought he'd killed Kirk I think snapping when his whole planet had blown up was expected.

5. FarStrider

And let's not mention how HAPPY he was when it turned out that Kirk was alive. . .

~FS

6. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"JIM!"

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

TOS was constantly finding excuses for Spock to beat up Kirk, in "The Naked Time," "This Side of Paradise," "Amok Time" . . . whenever he was emotionally compromised in some way.

I always figured Spock smacking Kirk around the bridge of the new Enterprise was basically a homage to those scenes.

And the original Spock was certainly capable of expressing irritation on occasion. For example: just look how exasperated he gets with all that bureaucratic stonewalling in "Mark of Gideon." Not to mention the way McCoy gets on his nerves in "The Tholian Web."

8. FarStrider

IT'S TRADITION!! That's the ticket!

Seriously, though, you make a very good point. I don't know where some people get the idea that Spock is an emotional automaton, but it certainly isn't from any Star Trek that aired in the real world. . .

~FS

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The most telling scene is after the mind meld on Delta Vega. Kirk had tears down his face, and is trying hard to pull himself together. Spock Prime apologizes, saying "emotional transferrence is an effect of the mind meld."
    Spock is crying his eyes out over the deaths of the Romulans and the Vulcans, but he's not showing it (although his voice did get thick and teary when he said "Jim, I just lost my planet. I am emotionally compromised.")

Makes you wonder what was going on inside during some TOS episodes...

10. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

^ Indeed.

---------------

So I was poking around the 'nets and I saw this picture. It made me think of Vulcan Driver's Ed:

[​IMG]

:D

11. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agree. I thought the same thing

12. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Haha. love it :lol:

13. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought the K/S ladies (esp in the '70s) seriously got off on those scenes :p

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Thanks. :)

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They feature in every NuTrek K/S vid.

Here, have a look at my absolute favorite one:

(Even if you don't like K/S this video is very well done and full of beautiful men.)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORNVGFcUsc[/yt]