SPOILERS!!! NEW AICN RUMORS (APRIL 30)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by indranee, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, a lot of things that the fanboise like to praise are as shitty as Twilight - many more so. That's especially true when the talk turns to "classic" skiffy TV.

The only reason that Twilight is bashed as hard as it is and with relative impunity is that it's a property that has been one of the most massively successful franchises of recent times without making any concession to or in any way engaging the young male demographic.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

^very true. The boys hate it simply 'cos it's aimed primarily at the girls.

Anyway, this new interview with Cumberbatch is interesting mainly because the interviewer makes a valiant attempt to find out WHO he plays in the new Trek movie. No dice, though. He's too clever.

Check out 04:19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lQse0OS_kiE#/

3. Admiral Buzzkill

It's not that I don't think they can come up with other reasons to dislike it as well, but there's a definite double standard here. Twilight is treated with such utter contempt because its success disrespects boy culture. :lol:

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dislike Twilight because the characters are all so dull, apart from Bella's school friends who get about 5 lines between them in each movie. Jacob's pecs are truly astonishing but do they have to make the characters so bland just because they look good? True Blood has about one million times the entertainment value in every episode.

5. indranee

Let's not get into yet another why we hate Twilight discussion here, ok? ;)

Don't you ladies have anything to say about the "KHAAAAAAN" unleashed by the VH1 interviewer there. I thought she did a good job. And her resigned shrug was kinda funny when he refused to take the bait ;)

6. Pauln6

Nobody does deadpan like the Cumberbatch. They should get his mum to appear as an admiral as well - she's still quite foxy despite being 100.

7. indranee

100?! Come on, she's the exact same age as my mom. And my mom's only, er, 45 :p

Yes, that was a good stoic-face by BC there.

8. Pauln6

100 the new 45. Come into the 21st century.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Nothing they couldn't think of for themselves.

Besides, why would anyone in this universe even presume Spock Prime would or should know about Khan? Why would they think anyone (let alone Spock Prime) even discovered the Botany Bay in the other universe? Let alone met Khan.
    The only thing that makes sense is Spock Prime hears about Kirk and Spock in a current conflict with "a" Khan from 1996, and things go from there. Spock Prime finally faces the first of what will be many dilemmas: Should I get involved or not? Perhaps Nimoy is in this movie to settle the involvement question once and for all.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

And yet you're a Star Trek fan. :confused:

11. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, speaking only for myself, and setting aside Meyer's complete disregard for the pre-existing vampire mythos, I openly bash it not because it is directed at the female tweener demographic and not the tweener male idiot demographic, but because the writer and the screenwriter made any attempt for the self-important, low self-esteemed, weak-willed social idiot without any sense of self-preservation female protagonist to have any redeeming qualities.

She fauns over this "perfect man" who, in the beginning attempts to keep her at arm's length and this sends her spiraling into a depression. In the second installment he is forced to leave her and in response, she attempts suicide. This is a teenage girl with zero coping mechanisms. She completely ignores friends and family who are trying to help her in lieu of what she could have with Edward.

Yet, Bella Swan is now seen as a role-model for women the world over. Young and old. They all want a love like she had. That's not love, that's at the very least an extreme case of co-dependancy and anyone who believes it to be 'true love' is deluding themselves.

YMMV.

Sorry, had to get that out. Didn't want my reasoning mislabeled by My Name Is Legion.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Oops, lost me. :p

But, you know, I've seen you praise Transformers cartoons - the point being that there's no real "high ground" of taste or critical standards from which skiffy enthusiasts at places like TrekBBS condemn stuff like Twilight; it's entirely a matter of the idiosyncrasies of personal preferences...and it's pretty clear that the contempt with which Twilight is generally treated owes greatly to the fact that the kinds of folks who make it successful just don't overlap much with the core demographic groups usually serviced by big-budget fantasy. Skiffy fans forgive nonsense that makes Twilight look like Shakespeare.

13. Satyrquaze

^ Which is fine, But in fairness I loved the Transformers cartoon when I was 8-9 years old and I look back at it with not a small amount of nostagia. I might even watch the newer stuff on occasion. No, it's not high art, But, It also doesn't excuse the three lumps of shit that Michael Bay dropped on it.

That said, there isn't a character in any iteration of Transformers that is as much a step backwards for female equality in western culture or the mental states of teenage girls as Bella Swan.

14. Pauln6

Yeah but I prefer McCoy, Picard, Spock, Ro, Quark, Holodoc, Janeway, Seven, T'Pol, Shran, Kira, Garak and any other of the more multi-dimensional characters. The problem with Enterprise was that it lacked enough variation and depth in its main characters. Trek has it's share of fun characters. I have a special love for Janice Rand because she was so gloriously camp and a rubbish astronaut.

15. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Repeat it often enough and maybe it will come true?

I think we've all seen how very effective internet maliciousness is with Mr. Abrams.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

My views on Twilight aren't strong enough to constitute contempt. The boy culture thing doesn't bother me. It just strikes me, from what I've seen of it, as being a watered-down mix of Buffy and True Blood, but without the wit or sexiness of either. The apparent pro-abstinence and Mormon undertones don't appeal to me either.

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always admired the morale fiber of the original characters, it's one of the things causing me to be a fan of the series but most people, and this may be why original Trek had such a limited following, (compared to other shows) most people do not believe their near perfect personas were realistic.

Does anyone here honestly believe we're really going to evolve into a species like that? I used to hope so but hey, I faced facts, (thanks to the internet ;-) things are not getting better. Nutrek says to me, and most of the "new" fans, we're going to make it to the future but Human Nature is what it is and will continue to be so.

Original Trek was eventually labeled "The Human Adventure". Bullcrap. I see now that those characters were only barely human. They did exhibit a few human characteristics but really, were they as Human as Nutrek characters? McCoy excepted, I think not. I do think the Nucharacter flaws are big percentage of why so many more of the general population has embraced NuTrek.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

I think that's a complete sentence, really.

19. Satyrquaze

I see what you did there.

But, at least it is what it is and doesn't pretend to be something it's not. I mean, if I want to see strong female leads that are ten times the role-models that Stephanie Meyer pretends Bella is I'll read or watch something written by Joss Whedon, J. K. Rowling, or Suzanne Collins.

20. Mutara Nebula 1967

Mutara Nebula 1967 Captain Captain

My one real question here is...How does Nero showing up from the Prime Time line and creating an alternate history manage to transform K. Noonian Singh from an ethic character to someone looking like they strolled off Abbey Road? Nero showing up as he did should have no affect on KNS who launched from earth in 1996. It's just not possible. How are they going to explain this?