Why did the Changelings look like Odo?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captain Nebula, Feb 1, 2013.

1. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget that Odo got better at shapeshifting, or would have, ie in "Children of Time."

Odo just didn't quite manage to get his face right. I think the Founders went with Odo's appearance so other races could identify them in their "default" form when they weren't puddles of goo.

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There natural form is as a liquid. They aren't humanoid at all. Odo wasn't a good shape-shifter, remember. He did his best to imitate a form, but when they take the shape of a humanoid, perhaps they either A) wanted the Alpha Quadrant to know they were changelings or B) this is how their natural faces look, smushed and ill-defined features. Like a baby can babble, but can't talk in sentences. It's just the least of a form they can take.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

An interesting theory.

This is the same fanbase that's continually perplexed at the Riker/O'Brian scene in "Defiant", so I'm a bit skeptical.

4. Boomer359

Boomer359 Commodore Commodore

I don't think the Founders really had a default humanoid shape - or, at least, they didn't until they came across Odo.

If Odo's appearance really was typical of the Founders, it seems like the Vorta (Erris, Emmis, maybe?) from the Season 2 finale should have recognized him as one of her gods. Instead, she barely acknowledges him when he steps up to arrest her before she escapes.

Since the Founders make their first appearance in the next episode looking like Odo, I always assumed that they were able to somehow determine that Odo was one of them from the Vorta's report and thereafter mimicked his appearance to make it clear to him and everyone else that they were the same species.

5. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Eris was trying to be undercover. Though her cover was blown, she was hardly around long enough to give away anything she knew about the Founders and the Dominion. Not to mention that it is unlikely that every Vorta interacts directly with the Founders. It's entirely possible she had never seen a Founder herself, and wouldn't be able to peg Odo as one.

6. Marcus Porcius Cato

Marcus Porcius Cato Commander Red Shirt

A consideration for Odo?

7. HaventGotALife

There's not much continuity between The Jem'Hadar and every other episode with the Dominion. Take, for instance, the way the Jem'Hadar act. They are menacing bad guys, arrogant in the 2nd season finale, in the rest of the series they can take the dialogue and they are just confident in themselves and the Dominion. The Vorta can summon an energy bubble from her chest and knock Sisko to the ground? I believe the bible on the Dominion was written between the 2nd and 3rd seasons by Robert Hewitt Wolfe. At least, that's what I think remember from the DVD commentaries.

8. HaventGotALife

And the out-of-universe explanation is that we can recognize Changelings on site. If they didn't do it, they would have to tell us each time we ran into a Changeling. This was just easier.