Bad news for V remake

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by 23skidoo, Sep 26, 2009.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

If Zap2It's report is accurate, things aren't looking good for the much-anticipated V remake.

According to the story, plans call for only 4 episodes to air in November and then they're taking the show off the air for an undisclosed length of time - allegedly so it doesn't compete with the Olympics but last I looked the Olympics don't happen in December and January - and then bring it back as an "event" for the remainder of the 13 episodes sometime in 2010.

According to the report, production was already shut down suddenly after a couple of weeks suggesting some retooling.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...ien-takeover-partly-deferred-till-spring.html

Not a good sign, especially since this sort of "pre-planned hiatus" was already done with Defying Gravity and odds are Americans will be lucky if they see the remaining DG episodes burned off on a Saturday sometime next summer.

So does this suggest that ABC has already given up on V (and science fiction, given how they treated Defying Gravity; they also did this to Pushing Daisies' second season)? I don't really trust this in terms of it being any gauge regarding how good the show is or not - Defying Gravity IMO was one of the best shows of the year - but could it be a sign that the new V isn't going to be the BSG 2.0 we all were hoping it'd be...

I'm a little annoyed because it was literally the only new show of the season (AMC's miniseries The Prisoner notwithstanding) that I had any interest in. I will say I'm getting a lot of reading done!

Alex

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a stupid idea to bring back the show in the first place.

The creator should have known better and should have the 13 episodes planned have a conclusion. He has only had 20 years to think about how to do this.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They should put it behind LOST already if they want to kill the show.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was an entirely new creative team behind this series?

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...well if this frees Elizabeth Mitchell up to film more Lost than planned I'll say it's a good thing!
    [​IMG]

6. well that blows. I heard the pilot was excellent.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Taking it off the air to avoid clashing with the Olympics would be truly ironic - the original became such a hit in the UK as a result of being shown OPPOSITE the 1984 Olympics. All those who had no interest in the Olympics - this was back when there were only 4 channels, and in many cases only 3 - instead tuned in to V and found themselves hooked. IIRC, it got better viewing figures than the sporting event.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of surprised by this. From the few clips I saw, it looked like a pretty interesting and well-written show.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will depend on the ratings, I guess. FlashForward did very well and I imagine a lot of people or going to be tuning in to check out V (especially for Elizabeth Mitchell).

10. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Seems like hiatuses cost viewers. Out of sight, out of mind.

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only Kenneth Johnson isn't involved in this project, so that comment isn't relevant.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flash Forward did well for ABC so how can they be down on sci-fi? And they advertised V during the Flash Forward premiere; if they've "already given up on it," why would they do that?

This news is kinda difficult to fathom...from the previews, it looks like it would have a good chance of appealing to the same audience as Flash Forward (while having the potential to be a lot more ironic and fun).

The general audience won't know a thing about the scheduling and wouldn't be deterred from watching because of it. If the premiere gets healthy ratings, maybe ABC will change its mind again, or at the very least, give the show enough of a post-Olympics push that they will give it a fighting chance.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

That poster likes to make a lot of hit and run posts.

14. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is ominous. I'll make sure I don't get too interested in the program.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Self-fulfilling prophecy! Not that it matters if you aren't a Nielsens household. If anyone is, defy ABC and watch the show. Don't let those bastards kill another sci fi series with their stupidity! :D

16. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Inexplicable. Four episodes don't even make a mini-series. Even if the series is good, that's not enough content to leave a truly memorable enough mark for audiences to set "Part II" as another "event" -- unless, somehow, it has an epic Lord of the Rings quality to it.

I'm still going to watch the show ... but damn ... what a bizarre "strategy."

17. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Why doesn't ABC stop beating around the bush and cancel this series now? You know that's where it's headed.

18. Archangel

Archangel Guest

Don't you know you aren't cool on the interwebz unless you hate everything?

Also, I tried to read Kenneth Johnson's "V: The Second Generation" novel...I made it about half a chapter in and it was the stupidest thing I have ever read (no exaggeration). It made me pretty much drop to my knees and thank god he isn't allowed anywhere near this incarnation.

19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was hoping that it would be like [highlight]V[/highlight] 2.0. I don't want it to be anything like nuBSG. We just got done with that show and don't need any copycats.

20. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I was willing to give it a chance. Real scifi is so hard to find(aliens! Spaceships! etc) these days I'm forced to watch Fringe to get my fix of the imaginative and creative stories I love so much. Ah, well, isn't Kings due out on DVD soon? I guess I'll have to make do.