MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Christopher, May 2, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually Kari and Tory were working for Jamie's M5 Industries before the show even began; Kari was in the show's pilot episode, and she and Tory were part of the behind-the-scenes support team from the beginning, although Tory didn't make his on-camera debut until the start of season 2.

For me, surface beauty isn't enough without substance underneath. I mean, Jessi was nice-looking too, but didn't have the same presence or the same appeal in the ways that mattered more. She didn't project as much intelligence, grace, and wit as Kari, didn't have as good a rapport with the others, didn't have as appealing a voice or delivery, etc. (Kari's vocal delivery is terrific. Some of my most vivid memories of her are lines she's delivered in funny ways.) What makes Kari special is her substance, not just her surface (impressive though that is). And real men have no trouble seeing that.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

We can hope it was a mutual decision, but I don't know. I'm reading through Kari's twitter feed and it doesn't feel like this was voluntary on her part.

[​IMG]

A lot of people are upset about this. Both Redditors and guys at The RPF are calling for Adam (who's a member at both places) to post and explain what went on.

This for sure, though. They won't have any difficulty finding work after 10 years on the air at Mythbusters.

4. Christopher

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

I think it's great to hear that both Kari and Grant are working to encourage girls to study science and technical subjects. Kari would obviously be a great spokesperson and role model for that.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, Kari's beauty went far beyond the physical when you factor in her personality, her intelligence, and various skills. (Though her being a vegetarian who reacts, pretty dramatically, to meat and meat products gets her a point two off. ;).) Just a real shame to see her go, Tory and Grant I can cope with but Kari is much, much harder. Because she *has* been there from the very beginning and she brought so much to the show in so many ways.

Be really interesting to see if anything is coming forward as far as her and the others getting their own spin-off series. Mythbusters: Miami! ;)

So, I wonder if this move has been part of the plan for a while now or if it was a sudden decision they didn't have time to plan for? Because if it's something they knew was coming it's a real shame that they didn't do one last "big myth" requiring the A-Team and B-Team to work together. I think the send-off of the trio deserved more than a little snippet at the end of the show.

And is this it for Mythbusters for the rest of the year? Usually they have another block of episodes in the late fall/winter.

It will be interesting to see what happens from here on an Adam and Jamie show, any other members at M5 helping out I hope aren't given any status beyond background help. Because it'd be, as Christopher said above, foolish to introduce "new cast members" to fit the roles (like the "Geek Babe") without really fitting in, earning it or really even showing it. (Again, as Christopher said, hiring a female cast-member for looks alone rather than her abilities and screen personality which Kari certainly had loads of.)

Going forward it really needs to be Jamie and Adam alone if we're going to dispense with the Jr. Mythbusters. And I do hope maybe they get more back into more complex myths and more detail when it comes to showing the planning and building.

Be interesting to see.

On the myths in this episode:

I think the "WILMA" method could still work in the case with parents traveling with children, just make an exception for those cases. If a member of the party is an adult with a child (or a child with an adult) let them board as a group. They'll still be in adjacent seats and it should still some-what stream line things.

Along another line, why not in order to facilitate better traffic-flow why not prohibit using the lavatories during boarding? I mean you were just sitting at the gate for the last hour or so and if you're doing it right you've been at the airport for two hours. Why not do what your parents did to you before going on a trip? Go to the bathroom before getting in the car (plane, in this case.)

Similarly during boarding why not prohibit getting back out of your seat to mess with the luggage in the overhead bin and stuff? Just say, "Look, we're trying to get 200 people boarded on this plane here in a reasonable time. How about you don't clog up our 18-wide aisle by messing around with your bag when everyone else is trying to board or going to the bathroom when you've had the last two hours to do it?"

Just make the rules, "Get on the plane, store you bags, sit down, and stay put!"

8. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We know that Adam and Jamie wanted to bring back the show to its roots, but I think there is a very good chance that this cast change was brought on by Discovery. The story/theory I read was Mythbusters was renewed for 7 years a few years ago, and since then Discovery has gone through a change of management, who is now stuck with a expensive show. If the Build Team's contracts were up for renewal Discovery could have opted to not bring them back in an attempt to cut costs. But I cant back any of that up with facts.

9. Christopher

Not for me. I respect her vegetarianism because it speaks of compassion and a good heart. And it added texture to her personality, gave her contrast with the other cast members, which is always good in an ensemble.

I'd kind of prefer it if they found something different to do, but still something that helped teach science and get kids interested in STEM.

Kari, Tory, and Scottie started out as M5 employees before they appeared on the show -- or, in Kari's case, her appearance in the pilot was her first day of work for M5. And Grant was hired because he'd worked with Jamie before. Only the "Mythterns" Christine and Jess, and guest host Jessi, were brought in without prior connections to M5, although Jess got the gig as a result of her earlier participation in a viewer contest on the show.

So I imagine that any new supporting players would come in the same way, as members of M5 who prove capable, likeable, and photogenic enough to work well on camera.

I dunno, I like it when they have supporting players. Heck, I still miss folklorist Heather Joseph-Witham. I like it that they have recurring experts like Frank Doyle and J.D. Nelson and Alan Normandy and Sanjay the paramedic. It makes it feel more like a family. So having some junior builders would be good too.

Besides, if the goal is to get back to basics and focus more on the building and procedure as Adam & Jamie reportedly intend, then it would be necessary to show more of the people doing the building.

Interesting suggestion, though. If so, it would be just one more reason to hate what Discovery has become. I still wish Mythbusters would find a better home, like The Science Channel or Netflix, so that it doesn't have to be sullied by association with all the blatant frauds that pass as Discovery shows these days.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

You are not alone. Take Iginio Ugo Tarchetti and his
    "King for Twenty-four Hours"

The Black Teeth for which I thought I would have felt the utmost horror, had such a sweet, mild affectionate look that I felt instantly drawn to them by an irresistible fondness, while the White Teeth struck me as so rebellious, ferocious, and proud that they almost horrified me.

Those long, sharp white--horribly white teeth, bared to the roots by rather upturned lips--those teeth, sharp and curved towards the tip like canines seemed to seize, bite and lacerate living pulsating flesh. They lent the face a horribly savage look.

Contrariwise, black teeth, stubby, short, square, well set in and covered by gums, promised such a meek nature... (honest teeth)

ON UGLINESS edited by Umberto Eco. Page 358

Thee are too many endings, not enough beginnings. It is almost like heat death has already started. Next week, it will be announced that the sun will die sooner than expected.

PBS will not show Poirot in Curtain--you have to have Acorn.

I get VHS, and they come up with DVD. I get that--they go to blue ray. I pay good money for cable, but you have to get a computer to see House of Cards on Netflix--Crackle for early Jeopardy programs.

I can't keep up.

But they can damn sure bring back Hee Haw in re-runs, and PBS can show diet programs, Doo-wop and Lawrence Welk just fine...

Robin Williams, I think I might join you.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Owned by Discovery Communications. I mean, have you seen all the alien shows they've been running on there? :p

That said, Mythbusters is already on Netflix, so going to an independent show might be worth the jump...

12. Christopher

^Good point. I naively allowed myself to think that something called The Science Channel might actually have some science on it.

This is why we need public television! We need an outlet for science programming that isn't dependent on ad revenues and thus doesn't have to appeal to the tastes of the lowest common denominator to stay on the air.

And some of Mythbusters is on Netflix, but it's just the video compilations, not the entire series. And some of the episodes are edited because their rights to the movie clips expired or something.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

It's a common misconception.

nah j/k there's more science on Science than there is discovery on Discovery, at least.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Applause!

15. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

So, no more build-team. This makes me sad.

Oh, and it isn't just The Science Channel that has sold out, The History Channel is also full of reality shows and other nonsense now. I love Pawn Stars and American Pickers, but they really belong on another network.

16. Trekker4747

In this episode we're told by the announcer/clips that the guys couldn't get a hold of a real plane due to their "past experience" with them. (Cue clips of them blowing up, cutting up and destroying planes over the last 10-12 years of the show.)

Anyone sort of doubt this? I mean it made for cute moment in the show to segue into the clips but I think their reason for not using a real plane was more of the simple logistics of it.

First of all, if they used an actual airliner they wouldn't have the advantage of observing the action in such a manner they'd be limited to what they could film inside an average sized airliner cabin. This would have seriously impacted the "visual stimuli" of the myth segments.

Secondly, they'd need either a jetway (meaning they'd have to rent out a gate at an airport which I'm sure would be a logistics and security nightmare) in order to properly simulate the boarding process of an airliner. The other alternative would to be use a rolling staircase which means filming outside (which depending on weather conditions wouldn't be practical or comfortable for the participants) and it'd probably be more difficult to simulate the "real-world" boarding process with the terminal seating, call station, jetway ramp, etc. (A staircase being slower to climb and flow people through than a jetway.)

So I think their using this mock-up of an airline cabin they went with had more to do with TV-reasons that this set was easier to build, cheaper to build, and gave them more control over the environment, the terminal and boarding replication as well as a chance to observe the events inside the "airplane" without being limited to looking down the aisle from a bulkhead.

Again, the set-up for why they went with the set idea is "funny" in the sense it set-up the clip segment, but I think the direction they went with when it came to testing the myth had more to do with TV reasons than them somehow not being able to rent an airplane to test boarding methods with.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  17. Christopher

I tend to agree, but not entirely. I'm sure they were joking about their past record with jets being the reason, but I can buy that they did actually look into the possibility of using a real jet and airport boarding lounge and gate, but determined that it would be prohibitive. I doubt any airport would be willing to shut down one of its gates for a whole day or however long the testing would take. They may have known from the start that it would be a long shot to do it for real, but I can see their researchers looking into the possibility as due diligence.

18. Trekker4747

Yeah. I'm sure they looked into it but I'm sure the practicality of it, and again better filming and observing opportunities, wasn't there over making their own airplane cabin set with the jetway and terminal lounge.

19. Christopher

Besides, they probably thought it was more fun to build their own. :D

20. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's sad that Kari, Grant and Tori are now gone.

It's even sadder that their final episode is an almost two year old one with the last blueprint scene refilmed to tell us they've been axed.