Making the Intepid Class Prototype (Sternbach)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by calamity_si, Apr 11, 2013.

1. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

Hi everyone,

Rick Sternbach designed this as a primary concept idea for the USS Voyager. He was later told to 'smooth' the design over and make it look a bit more like a Lexus, which he did.

[​IMG]

This design, is a particular favourite of mine and has been ever since I first saw it when I was about 15 years old in the 'Art of Star Trek' book. Sternbach did other angled views of this concept, but changed the details whenever he did so, meaning that this picture is the ONLY existing image of this particular design. It was quite a challenge to build my Sketchup model to match, especially as I had never seen the navigational deflector array before, so essentially, I got to add my own flair to the design. Here's the back quarter view to match the original sketch. It's obviously not finished, so there's much more to follow! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. calamity_si

Rick, I was wondering if I could get your opinon on the Navigational deflector area of the ship? I was wondering how this compared to your original vision of it...

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The Fan Art forum is probably better for this. If you ask a mod, they can probably move it for you. ;)

4. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The preliminary model I built based on this design had the deflector area about like what it eventually turned out to be. There were photos of the model kicking around the web over the last couple of years, but I don't think there were decent shots of the engineering hull.

Rick

5. calamity_si

Ah Mr. Sternbach, you've made my year by replying, so thank you. I recall the photo you're referring to. I did my best to find it on the Web but to no avail. I know this version of the engineering hull is slightly different to your original concept but I'm trying to be as accurate as possible with the rest of the ship.

If any moderators are reading this, perhaps they could make the call of this thread is better suited to the artwork section? I will be posting more updates soon and Rick, many thanks again for your input. Please feel free to chime in again if you have any comments or critiques on this in the future.

6. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i like this design a lot but and i know this sounds odd it looks a smaller ship then the intrepid almost defiant or even runabout size somehow.

not complaining though, in fact it has given me an idea :)

pity there isnt any other angles on this design about :)

7. calamity_si

Ok so here's an update. I've worked on adding some depth to the deflector array and some further hull detailing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's the runabout style nacelle pylons. You're used to seeing those things on small ships, so it makes you think this ship is small too.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was never a good enough modeler to make accurate versions of conceptual or final canon ships. I usually wound up doing hypothetical designs that didn't fit the Trek universe and had improper scale.

10. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I never like to turn away cool Voyager topics, but you will probably get better feedback if I move it to Fan Art. So I will do so. :)

11. calamity_si

Here's a little update showing the detail to the saucer secton
    [​IMG]

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Very cool.

Especially liking the nacelles (any pylons), they look like the ship was designed for speed.

13. calamity_si

Thanks, I'll hazard a guess and say that was what Sternbach intended. I'm still not happy with those shield grid lines on the primary hull though. They still look too thick to me. I've been banned from working on this tonight so I'll have another go when I can.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Oh I like this - more than the one used.

I'd like to see this appear in Treklit, possibly as part of the 'Voyager' fleet...

15. calamity_si

Thanks! I guess she needs a name first...perhaps Mr.Sternbach could come up with a suggestion? Or perhaps it should really be called the Sternbach Class?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Shorthand for Trek Literature - the ongoing novel series.

17. calamity_si

Thanks, I edited my last post when I looked it up myself.

As I was saying, I guess she needs a name first...perhaps Mr.Sternbach could come up with a suggestion? Or perhaps it should really be called the Sternbach Class?

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Works for me...:)

It looks like it should be rather larger than Voyager to me. It's more powerful looking.

19. calamity_si

Ok here's a little update: I've finally sorted out the shield grid lines on the primary hull. And she has a name!
    [​IMG]

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good ship with Well deserved Name sake :)