Brannon Braga: Not a Diane Carey Fan?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by SpaceCadetJuan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

BTW, maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't George Kirk part of April's crew in Carey's books? Where was he in Legacies?

2. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been a long time, but George Kirk wasn't an assigned member of the Enterprise crew in either Final Frontier or Best Destiny, right? He was just there for those specific missions.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Steve's right. In fact, the Enterprise wasn't even in regular service in those books. It was a prototype in Final Frontier, and even though Best Destiny was years later, apparently it was still an unusual occurrence for the ship to be in service, because April talked excitedly about how "we get to take her out again."

4. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not surprised by this. I actually like many of her TOS books writing-wise, Carey does seem to be one of those kind of authors that make their own presence quite apparent in their books. I mostly remember, enough with the sailing ships.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

1) Since when is 25 almost a teen?

2) Its Kirk, so Diane Carey would likely just use it as proof of James T. Kirk's superiority to other Starfleet captains.

6. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Hey, we're back to all this again?

On Carey's books and the amount of editing they received... I ranted once many years back, probably on the old Simon & Schuster Trek board, about plot problems, continuity problems, and just plain grammar disasters (transitive vs intransitive verbs, among other things) in one of Carey's novels, and asked why they weren't more tightly edited and proofread. As I recall, John Ordover responded with something like, hey, she's our most popular writer. He may not have implied what I inferred, but I took it to mean he didn't bother doing much work on her stuff because the fans didn't care about bad prose or plot problems.

As for her April books... I vaguely remember thinking the crew was a parody of the multinational TOS crew, but with deliberately one-dimensional ethnic caricatures played strictly for laughs.