Mayan Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by splodenode, Dec 20, 2012.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, not really no. I only started to think that there might be some truth behind the whole thing because of all these documentaries, and all these people talking about visions, and these scientists saying that it might happen (and fortunately, they were very much incorrect). We didn't even lose our power grid, thank goodness.

Shows like Doompreppers didn't ease my conscious. In fact, if we were to take into account the Multiverse Theory, I wouldn't be surprised if there were alternate timelines in which the apocalypse did happen, in which the ones that are ridiculed are the ones who survived.:p

All I know is that this is one of the happiest times for my fears to be wrong! One might even say they were dead wrong!

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

No reputable scientists said an apocalypse predicted by the Mayan calendar (or any apocalypse for that matter) was going to happen on December 21st, 2012. The people on those History Channel and Discovery Channel pseudoscience shows are not reputable (and in most cases not even real) scientists. Ancient Aliens guy can give you some tips on overuse of hair gel, but that's about it.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. All of the doom and gloom is appropriated to a misunderstanding of the way the Mayan calendar works. The Mayans never predicted the end of the world, and as already mentioned in this thread, never put much importance on it. The Mayan calendar works very much like a watch, only on a much bigger scale, with each part of the calendar playing their roles. As it happened, the part of the calendar that was so focused on was longterm. Putting it in perspective, it's like counting down a day, vs the hour, minutes and seconds. Nobody expects chaos when the cycle begins anew to create a new day. So, this calendar is simply restarting to begin a new cycle, and that's all there is to it. Nothing is ending. Pigs are not gonna fly.

4. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

But... but...

[​IMG]

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

APOCALYPSE
    NOT FOUND​

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Have you tried under the barrel? ;)

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Really, when Seinfeld, Friends and Frasier ended I'm surprised the sitcom continued to exist.

8. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Mayan Apocalypse was complete and undeniable crap, but let's hope the board isn't currently being subjected to the Malware Apocalypse.

:(

10. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

How does that even work?

12. Tiberius

I'm not sure what happened. It's meant to be a facebook or twitter post of GLaDOS (of Portal fame) posting "Still Alive."

13. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I suppose you didn't read the thread where facebook was permabanned :p

14. Tiberius

But it wasn't actually Facebook, just a link to a screenshot from Facebook that was up on another non-Faccebook site.

EDIT: Ah. it's from Tickled. They don't allow hotlinking. Hang on, I'll save it to my Photobucket...

[​IMG]

There we go.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are your thoughts on it? Do you agree with the author's premise? If so, why?

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just curious, do the aztecs or incans have an apocalypse date we should be concerned about. The last one was "so" anticlimatic. ;)

18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Prince predicted 1999 and we all saw how that went.

If we can't trust our funky entertainers from suburban Minnesota then all hope for accuracy is lost. :(

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

We can still party like it's 1999. I'll get my VHS copies of Friends and Seinfeld that I taped over the air, and then we can listen to my Del Amitri and Sixpence None the Richer CDs.

20. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Are we all still here.....what happened......i thought it was a cert......always the same, promises promises and then nothing......i was looking forwatd to it as well.

Fingered crossed for the next one....come on everybody, positive thoughts for the next end of the world, we can make it happen. lol