Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

(I know you know a lot, but my only argument is that the last 30 plus years of comics since the rise of the speciality shop is not the same as 1961. Hell, I would even go so far as to assume/guess that news stands in the 60s used to order comics by the box (or by the pound) which would be to "within reason" a random assortment. )

Which has nothing to do with when the the news-stand/speciality shop orders books from their distributor.

There are two different yet over lapping timetables.

How a physical comic is made probably starts even four months further back into the recess of history before the first orders from previews come in to Diamond, or when each shop pays off their account to diamond, or sends back returns, or makes reorders and back orders... Which means that Diamond/Marvel/DC would always have literal tons of comics in warehouses waiting for shipping dates unless something goes horribly wrong.

Using warehouse space costs money, and not using warehouse space wastes money.

:)

Now about Christopher's Youtube link.

I was already smitten with Louise, we talked about Power Pack for half an hour a very long time ago, but no one told me that Ann was drop dead gorgeous. I will amend my files to take account of that.

Although it's odd that they can't see the writing on the wall.

Marvel and DC seem to want a world where they only make & sell comics digitally.

No more physical stores and no more printing/distribution infrastructure.

If they could guarantee the customer base that can fulfil their adjusted profit expectations, this would change how they make money, and bankrupt all our friends that run comic book stores caught flatfooted.

(You didn't watch Halt and Catch Fire?)

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Back in the 60s comics were in pretty much every newsstand and drugstore in America. I was buying them at convenience stores, drugstores and the base exchange. If the 7-11 didn't have it, I could go to Thrifty Drug and get it. They may have had less titles but they were probably moving more units in total sales. The FF and Spidey were probably selling more than all the current Avengers titles combined. But yeah, with the rise of the specialty shops and move away from newsstands, that part of the business has changed. But that has little to do with the turn around on sales information impacting what was happening in the books.

3. Guy Gardener

Stan felt completely Justified in stamping "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" on every book after issue #3.

4. Guy Gardener

(Not arguing, but I thought you might find this interesting.)

In theory I would agree with you that News Agents should have reasonably sold more comics at 5 cents per unit than the speciality shops do today at 4 dollars per unit, but here are the actual figures, or at least until the end of the 80s, but observing the trends are very interesting. Marvel seemed to have really got hit hard by that Seduction of the Innocent guff.

[​IMG]

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

If the format on the DVDs is PDF like it is on the CDs, you can just extract the graphic and probably get a better resolution. You can find free utilities that do that on download.com.

6. Guy Gardener

The format is probably going to be weird since Marvel does not want people to pirate their comics (even though I know for a fact that these disks have been pirated and mass disseminated online.) so it's going to be a little more difficult, but not that much more difficult than "right click" + "view files".

Probably the same sort of free extraction utility used to pirate a movie from the DVD store.

[​IMG]

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Because amongst his other talents, Stan was The World's Greatest Huckster.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Fox doesn't appear to be all that interested in promoting this movie, MCU is already hyping up the Avengers movie, so Fox's lack of interest is puzzling.

10. theenglish

11. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except for Bryan Singer releasing stuff, I don't remember much done for Days of Future Past until a month or so before release. But Fox may also realize they've got a stinker with FF; studios usually try to cover that crap up.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, let's see. The teaser trailer was released in late October, 2013. The movie was released late May, 2014, so about seven months prior. The Fantastic Four movie has mid-June release date. So maybe a mid-November release of a teaser trailer? There's nothing all that exciting from 20th Century Fox around that time, though (I'm doubtful it'll air for Penguins of Madagascar). If they first show it with a non-Fox movie, they could release the teaser trailer on November 21 for Hunger Games.

So I'll agree there's still time. On the other hand, I wouldn't underestimate Bryan Singer releasing stuff. I remember lots of teases involving Sentinels going way back in production.

ETA: Looking back at the production discussion thread, I'm seeing set photos from an entire year before release.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  13. theenglish

There wasn't anything at Comic Con?

14. Guy Gardener

Nothing.

Look at this from Fox's point of view.

Marvel is spending 10s of millions of dollars to make people think that Marvel Movies are cool.

They do not need to advertise.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they'll go all-out on the found footage angle and leak some cheesy website with some "amazing find".

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It appears only Kate Mara has wrapped filming and not the entire production. The Hollywood Reporter suggests as much anyway and the trade is backed up by a tweet from co-star Miles Teller which basically confirms it. So don't fret fellow Fantastic Four-ites. Filming is still underway.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So the only female character in the movie has a severely truncated filming schedule? That bodes well :lol:

But wait! What am I saying! This is the Invisible Woman! They're just going to have her invisible most of the movie :wtf:

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

^^^Most likely.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's an old article.

As I commented already last week

Miles Teller posted he was done filming on Instagram one day after Kate Mara posted the picture. That's two of the lead actors.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/0...es-production-on-fantastic-four----is-filmin/

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore