Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember though - they're building April's/Pike's Enterprise. The one that had a crew of 203; not 430, etc. IMO - It's quite likely that by Kirk's time many Starship/Constitution class ships had gone through a refit that turned them more into exploration/science capable ships.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a great point.

3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But it was Kirk's ship specifically that could level the habitable surface of a planet.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There's nothing in any of the shows that contradict Pike's version having similar, if not as advanced, capabilities.

So I tend to think the Constitution-class always had strong offensive/defensive weapons.

5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

A different time. The Klingons are on the move and Starfleet has to keep pace while still continuing their mission to explore. The Constitutions are the extension of their exploration policy while being able to combat Klingons in the space near the borders.

Prior to this Starfleet ships would have difficulty dealing with the combat oriented Klingon warships, as seen in Enterprise. It took two upgraded NX-class ships to even threated one D5 cruiser. An NX-class cruiser was barely able to match a old Bird of Prey or Raptor. The Kelvin era ships could likely handle the D4 and maybe the D5, but not the D6. The Ares was the short term solution to the D6 problem by building a combat ship rather than Starfleet's usual multipurpose starships. The Constitutions are the long term solution to the D6 and it seems the D7 as well, by using the tech from the Ares Project for the next generation of multipurpose cruisers and then increasing its power to make it a "heavy" cruiser.

*What defines a heavy cruiser from any other cruiser in Starfleet?

The term is a left over from the Washington Treaty to World War II era of cruiser construction. The difference between a heavy and light cruiser back then was the size of their main guns. Nothing else. A light cruiser could be as large or larger than a heavy cruiser, but was armed with 6.1 inch guns are smaller. A heavy cruiser was limited to 8 inch guns. All cruisers were limited (by treaty) to 10,000 tons. Most countries cheated a little on tonnage, but the gun limitations were held. You could have a ship that has 6 eight inch guns called a heavy cruiser and also a ship with 15 six inch guns called a light cruiser. The light cruiser will do the most damage in that case. mostly because the weight of all those shells, plus the 6 inch guns could fire rapidly (automatics) while the 8 inch guns has a slower rate of fire until the end of World War II.

6. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    That's some interesting info. :vulcan:

Basically, it was a matter of 'size.'

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Alright, where did the embedded Vimeo video of Prelude go?

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They seem to have replaced the Vimeo one on the kickstarter page with another version.

9. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

You can do a Google search on the terms "Kickstarter" and "Axanar" to find their Kickstarter page with the full 22-minute "Prelude to Axanar" video imbedded on their page. If there's another way to find it other than their Kickstarter campaign page. I don't know what it is.

10. localyokel

localyokel Ensign Red Shirt

They should lose the "bitch, whore" comment. It's offensive and adds nothing to the dramatic effect. IE it serves no useful purpose except to make me want my kids out of the room.

11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

It sure has caused people to talk about their production--I think more than any single moment in the whole thing.

The only bad publicity is no publicity.

12. BeatleJWOL

Tried that; having two Kickstarters for essentially the same project is confusing! :vulcan:

13. localyokel

localyokel Ensign Red Shirt

---
    I think you're confusing publicity with controversy. This isn't shocking enough to draw people in to watch for the commment.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Qxxxx Bxxxx Wxxxx" is absolutely shocking and controversial. No one has ever uttered those words onscreen before. Certainly not in that combination. Shame, shame.

I truly believe that if there was new Star Trek on tv every week, and a new movie in theaters every month, fans would still find something to bitch about. Undoubtedly as much as with the Borg Queen, or about Kirk the whoremonger.

;)

15. BeatleJWOL

oh no your children are learning to swear the horror

the horror

(ever heard of a teaching moment, folks?)

16. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

"All I ever needed to learn I learned from Star Trek." ;)

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re "Queen bitch whore". All three words are canonical.

"Queen"? Check.

"Bitch" occurs quite a few times, mostly in Enterprise episodes, but also in five of the films (already pointed out upthread as "Klingon bitch", but also as "son of a bitch").

"Whore" occurs in STXI, as "human whore."

So, whatever. Nothing new here.

18. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Again, I hope they say lots of bad words. Drop an F-bomb in there or two.

We've become prudes and it annoys me.

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

How old are you?

20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Or, you can just come to Star Trek Reviewed which offers links to hundreds (or maybe thousands, I haven't counted in three and a half years) of Star Trek Fan Films... and Reviews... http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/14.html

hello. bookmark this: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/ or this: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/2.html or this: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/100.html . You won't regret it next time you are trying to find a fan film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.