Classic monsters return (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nick does pretty good Ice Warrior voices for the audios.

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh, I've never seen the Peladon stories so I can't judge, but I don't like the concept of bad guys turning good.

No, I hope in this upcoming episode we finally get something evil!

Seen the advert or Saturdays doctor who with the Ice Warriors, and they look and sound great! When I saw their picture in the radiotimes I thought they didn't modify them enough, but in the dark shadows of the submarine, they look awesome!

3. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He might do good voices for them in the audios but, in the new trailer it sounds like he's using the same generic growly voice he's used for other aliens including the Judoon.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So do you still consider Germany or Japan, or England or Spain, for that matter, to be an enemy of the United States? Nations can go from being enemies to allies over time as policies and objectives change. Earth and Mars had resolved their differences by the future century in which the Peladon serials took place.

5. Green Lantern

That's a completely different thing (I'm English BTW). I'm talking bout things like super villains or sci-fi monsters, not real world politics.

As I've said I've not seen them so I can't really judge, just said I didn't like the sound of the concept.

6. Christopher

You really should see the Peladon stories. They're great.

7. Green Lantern

Yeah. I'd like too at some point.

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I can see where you're coming from, as the notion of the bad guys actually being honourable warriors who'll become your most reliable allies under the right circumstances has become a major league cliche. But when Curse did it to the Ice Warriors back in 72 it was fresh, if not unique, in TV SF (there'd been variants on the old Robin Hood/Little John fight at first meeting and end up as friends trope, but I can't think of any case of an established regular villain comign good). It was a major surprise, on the scale of Han Solo saying: "Actually, Vader hired me to infiltrate you idiots years ago... Here's all their secret codes, Lord Vader." ("Well done, Han. By the way, I am your father. You know, Luke's actually stupid enough to believe he might be my son just because I said so?")

9. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We must agree to disagree there I'm afraid. I think his Ice Warrior voices are terrible.

10. Green Lantern

Agreed. Plus it's been so overdone now with Moffat (the Silurian and Sontran allys of the Doctor, and the daleks have by far lost their edge since series 5.)

But maybe this version of bad turning good might be better.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Also, in the first Ice Warriors Story, they weren't necessarily villains or evil. They were scared and made poor Xenophobic choices out of mistrust. The Seeds of Death, however, yea, that one makes it clear they are indeed bad guys.

12. Christopher

Well, the Silurians were always portrayed as a noble people who had as much right to the planet as we do, and as a species that the Doctor was always trying to work with to find a peaceful solution. The recurring thread in all the Silurian stories was that there were peacemakers and warmongers on both sides, and unfortunately it was always the warmongers who won, up until "Cold Blood."

Just to be clear, the Peladon serials are not specifically about the Ice Warriors. They're just one of multiple featured alien races.

Good point. It's worth noting that all four classic Ice Warrior stories, including the two Peladon serials, were written by the same person, Brian Hayles. So it's not like it was some new writer introducing a retcon; it was their creator adding more depth to them.

13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, not quite - the rewrites on Monster and the last half of Seeds were so extensive that in the internal paperwork Terrance Dicks is credited as co-author (similarly, very little of original Hayles's Celestial Toymaker script made the screen.)

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see the Movellans and the Dominators come back. Maybe the Yetis. Definitely the Rastan robot.

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I quite like that they're not baddies. The whole "Every alien race is out to destroy us!" vibe that the show had given off in the past gets old after awhile. Hell even Sarah Jane was a bit xenophobic as a result.

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That robot was what we got with the T-1000 after all--that is what it was meant to be--a lethal, fast killer that could out-perform slow cyberman hulks.