Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Owen E Oulton, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Sites come and go... you should check out several and decide which ones you like. Some are very minimal, and others are extremely detailed.

http://www.roll-dice-online.com/
    http://rolz.org/

The above might give you a few ideas of what you're looking for. I found a lot that were only for d6 but if you need other kinds, those won't work.

This is the site recommended to me by a friend who's running an old-school AD&D game: http://invisiblecastle.com/ Just at first glance, it looks pretty decent.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'll have the rules up later. I'm pulling mostly from WoD but setting it up with unique rules for Trek BBS. Here's the character sheet.
    [​IMG]

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Ok, creating thread one for it. I'll post a link after I'm done pasting. We'll see if it works or not.

4. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Video chat's optional, and IMO a bit too distracting. My groups usually prefer to just do audio.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

6. Obiwansolo18

Obiwansolo18 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I do play dnd 3.5, pathfinder, world of darkness, the new marvel

7. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Mainly playing Star Wars Edge of the Empire right now (great system), plus running a couple of different campaigns (Bond type spy campaign and a 1930s two-fisted adventure campaign) using FATE. For Trek my go to game is Last Unicorn Games' Star Trek Icon system... played the heck out of that for years, and I'm planning a new campaign soon set in the TOS Movie Era.

Yancy

8. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You might be able to extrapolate an answer based upon the sales of Star Trek RPG material, for it would be logical that if there are many sales of such items, that there has to be some folks still doing this.

Personally, I'd be surprised, for while I was an ardent player in my teenaged years and into college, that form of entertainment seems dated. That's too bad, because it was quite fun.

In my region there was a group of actors, and those interested in drama who played these games. I wasn't in that niche, but it's reasonable to conclude that they enjoyed the challenge of roleplaying from a dramatic perspective.

The toughest aspect of a RPG back then was people all finding a time in which to play. Everyone was always so busy that it was tough to commit to a set time. Any RPG that uses calculations that are complex in any way to determine events or combat is going to be better served by a computer doing those calculations instead of rolling many kinds of dice and then consulting charts to determine those outcomes. As such, computers helped to transition RPGS from pencil, paper, and dice plus got around the scheduling issues.

9. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I GM tons of games. I'm going to be starting a Hero System version of TOS in the Des Moines area soon. Anyone around DSM on here?

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

All true, but I've never seen a DM get annoyed with a player and drop a Buick on him in an online RPG. Never been turned into a giant war sheep by multiple uses of a Luzer's Wand because my party was trying to bring me back to life, either. These are the good times, my friends, and you just can't find that in a computer - they aren't close to as able to adapt on the fly as a human DM. Or anywhere nearly as insane. :D

11. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's true. I have lots of fond memories playing RPG with friends.We all took turns so we could all have both the experience and freedom of being players, but building elaborate situations and scenarios for others to encounter.

It's not Star Trek, but some might enjoy looking up Skyrealms of Jorune, a little known space roleplaying game with an enormously varied backstory. Some of those elements might fit within a Star Trek universe.
    http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2010/03/retrospective-skyrealms-of-jorune.html

Proabably a lot of the now venerable Traveler RPG would also fit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_(role-playing_game)

12. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Holy crap... Jorune is seriously "old school." Great game.

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Me and my group just finished up Shadowrun. I played a ex-marine turned chemist who blew up his lab trying to create a new form of explosives and was taken for dead. I fell into Shadowruning as a demolitions expert. Next Friday it's Exalted, but we'll be heroic mortals. I'm thinking about doing a tribal warrior from the south who specializes in taking down big game.