Was Picard a generic action hero in the movies?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Jan 27, 2012.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A common complaint of the TNG movies is that Picard is presented as a generic action hero in those movies, that his skills as a diplomat are down played in favor of more action scenes with him. Is that a fair criticism or not?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It's a fair criticism and it isn't.

Series Picard simply isn't interesting in a two-hour action movie.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's fair. But I'm more interested in drama than action, which probably isn't true of most of the demographic they're aiming at.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say "generic". He was a little on the old side when he was BAMFing his way around a Reman warbird with a phaser rifle in each hand, moving down vampiric baddies:lol:

5. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Yep. The movie Picard is WAY out of character from the TV Picard.

I would've prefered to see a battle of wits as opposed to muscle. It faired Kirk well in TWOK.

And making an action Picard was taking the easy way out. It would've been a lot more difficult and required a lot more creativity to write Nemesis with the real Picard in it. The writer's weren't up to the task.

6. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What about Insurrection and how Picard was written and played in that? I hear criticism for Nemesis, but tell me friends, what about the way Picard was an action hero in the previous installment?

7. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The part where Picard beamed over to the Collector, was fighting Ru'afo, saying cliched one liners, etc. All that seems like the stuff a generic action hero would do.

8. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

He still feels like the old Picard to me - the familiar "vibe" is still very much in abudance if you will. But it's the old Picard thrust into extraordinary situations, requiring extraordinary actions from the character by necessity. I have no problem with this, I've observed friends and family behave "out of character" when the situation dictates many times. "Action Picard" can easily and believably be rationalised in this way - it merely mirrors real life - and yes - it's way more exciting for the movies!

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The action sequences was what he had Riker for.

I admit Picard as a diplomat may not have been the most thrilling movie ever, but it would beat the loooooooong 'lets light the ship up from every imaginable angle' from TMP.

They should have kept him the diplomat and statesman that he was, commanding the ship through tactical combat in space, and leave Riker to handle the hands on fighting with the bad guy.

10. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In First Contact, it was understandable. He had a personal connection to the Borg, a very personal grudge against them, and so it was appropriate he would get into the hear of the fight. But when we continued to see "action Picard" again and again, it felt out of character and wrong.

Picard was not above a good action sequences in the series, but these were presented as the exception, rather than the rule. He was portrayed as someone who liked to use his intellect before flexing his physical muscles. In the movies, it felt backward.

11. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

The TNG movie formula did not serve PS well. And the odd thing is he kept pushing for things that I feel were not in his best interest! More action/dune buggy/physical stuff, instead of insisting on crafting more intelligent scripts.

This is along the same lines as Shatner writing and directing ST V. He comes across better in II, III and IV than he does in his own piece!

TNG could have pulled off plots closer to Syriana and Mission Impossible, and less of Die Hard and Aliens.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Picard started to become more involved on away missions towards the end of TNG's TV run.

13. 22 Stars

Yeah, but it was in the features that PS really influenced the direction. He chose poorly.

14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought he exhibited more of those traits after he met Kirk.

15. 22 Stars

Well, he ain't Kirk. And they shouldn't have tried to make him that.

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It didn't serve Captain Picard very well. It served Patrick Stewart very well.

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think by TNG's seventh season, Picard was actually leading/being involved with more away missions than Riker.

Patrick Stewart wanting Picard to be more involved in the action may have started in TNG's final seasons or it may have been something the writers and producers wanted to do with the character.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is pretty spot-on. :techman:

19. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have nothing aginst Patrick Stewart wanting to have more to do or more of a say in the scripts that came in by series' end or in the four features.As an earlier poster states so well, it made sense in First Contact for Picard to be at the heart of the fight against the Borg Collective as seen in that film. I like Insurrection after seeing it for the first time in years, but they were already perhaps pushing Picard in a corner of territory that may not have felt like the Picard we all know and love from the series. I don't know...just a thought to see what happens in here.

20. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's all part of the TNG franchise becoming more of a "Picard and Data Show" with each film. The vision of Stewart roaring with laughter as he rocketed his space Jeep in NEM still gives me the heebie jeebies.

I wouldn't mind if he had been that way during the series, but Picard the action hero was wildly out of character.