A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Regardless, they've lost me. Maybe I'll come back and watch after the series is over (if there is a consensus it gets better). But I have not loved much of season five and the finale was the most depressing hour of television I've watched in some time. Too many major deaths, and while I get why Cersei went through that, there's painful and then there's just being downright exploitative. The scene could have been half the length it was, still made the audience uncomfortable and would have been fine. That was way too much. I don't hate watch shows. I'm done.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Has GRRM confirmed that, or is that only a fan expectation?

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL--this was the first spoiler I heard about ADWD while I was still reading ACOK. Jon Snow, in some way, will factor in to the remaining story otherwise why is his lineage so important to GRR Martin. The precedent of characters returning from the dead is well established both in the show and in the books (Catelyn, Mance, etc). Now, whether Jon returns in his own body or not may be a different question.

4. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is mostly speculation, however it is heavily foreshadowed in certain parts of the book.

Such as in Quarth (way back in season/book 2) when Daenerys has all those vision in the House of the Undying in the book she has far more visions such as one predicting the Red Wedding (a man with a wolf head presiding over a feast were people eat their own entrails iirc), one of her oldest brother and one

that shows a blue rose blossoming at a wall of ice.

Admittedly it's pretty vague, ut it does make you think that something is up.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I certainly agree that Jon Snow is dead. I'm just not convinced that he's completely dead. ;)

6. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I think this is going to be some watershed event where he goes on a vision quest type thing and sees the Ice King and/or Bran.

Also with him likely being a Targaryen it will interesting to see if they try burning the body and it will not burn.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Targaryens are not fireproof. They burned Aemon this same season.

8. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Him going to see a certain Targaryen across the Narrow Sea could be aided by Davos now having nothing to do.

I hope if he is Azor that he drives Longclaw into Mellisandres heart at some point and the dragonsteel absorbs the magical power.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

To the surprise of few, apparently Kit Harington has been spotted this week in Belfast, at the Barking Dog, a restaurant on the Malone Road, popular in the past with the GOT cast and crew. He still has Jon Snow hair and beard. Although in the past he's been happy to pose for photos and selfies (including with a drunken moi), he declined to do so this week as 'I'm not supposed to be in Belfast.'

However, there are photos doing the rounds on twitter and Reddit if you look for them. I've seen one though I can't tell when it was from. The weather does look like how it's been in Belfast recently, but beyond that, I can't say.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Not surprising at all. ;) I figured it was only a matter of time before he was spotted or a casting call was leaked. Don't honestly know why they thought they would be fooling people for any amount of time with that one.

11. Captaindemotion

12. Captaindemotion

Meanwhile, Kelly's Cellars, a bar in Central Belfast, claims that 'Jon Snow' was in last night with other GOT cast & crew: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155800492740327&id=297747165326

Update - a friend texted me a picture of Kit outside Kelly's Cellars with others. Given that he isn't apparently a massive fan of living in Belfast, I think it's safe to assume that he's back here for GOT S6.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  13. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

^Wouldn't the simplest answer be that he's there to film the inevitable "Jon Snow BBQ" scene, You know, him just lying there ... dead? Just like Tywin Lannister at the start of Season 5?

Q2

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Woudn't they have already filmed the BBQ scene and had it in the can so to speak, assuming there is to be such a scene?

15. Q2UnME

Well, in the case of the Tywin lying in state scene, it was actually part of Season 5 filming, so one never knows with the "Jon Snow BBQ". It very well could be part of Season 6 filming. No word either way, just my speculation. (for now).

Q2

16. Captaindemotion

He was spotted in a restaurant Sunday 2 weeks ago and then out last night. Would they need him here for 2 weeks to film a scene like that?

17. Q2UnME

^ The question still remains .... Have they even started filming yet? Are the cameras rolling?

That was reported to start in a week or two. Perhaps he's just hanging out?

18. Captaindemotion

^ bear in mind that this is the guy who famously moaned earlier this year about living in Belfast for 5 years and that it was a nice place to visit 'for 2 or 3 days.' I'd be surprised if he was here any longer than he had to be.

IIRC last year they were filming in July (scroll back somewhere on the thread, I think I mentioned it at the time), earlier than people realised. I found out from a friend who's done extras' work on it. It stands to reason that if they're using Kit, they'd try to shoot his scenes outside the anticipated schedule.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

20. Captaindemotion

Bump!

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/game-of-thrones-ian-mcshane-1201554773/

Ian McShane has been cast in a on unspecified but apparently important role, though it will only involve 3 episodes. Enron or Victarion Lovejoy...er, Greyjoy? Or a combination of them? Lord Tarly? Or possibly one of the Stark loyalists/Northern lords who are supposed to appear?

Meanwhile, Kit Harington continues to be regularly spotted and photographed all over Belfast, while HBO execs are now saying that the show will run for at least 8 seasons.