Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 17, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

10.2%
  2. Above Average

21.6%
  3. Average

28.4%
  4. Below Average

17.0%
  5. Poor

22.7%
  1. INACTIVESamusAranX

INACTIVESamusAranX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good point. But to me...
    the Fallen was hyped to be pretty powerful in the movie, especially by the line that only a prime had to potential to defeat him.

2. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

^

I think Michael Bay's Give-A-Fuck-About-Metacritic-O-Meter stands at a big fat zero.

4. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Well, I don't care.

Some movies you just go see because you are a fan of certain characters or actors/actress's

For me it's Optimas Prime & Megan Fox, put those too together on screen together and I am so there, no matter how bad the movie sucks.

5. payndz201

payndz201 Commodore Commodore

I must be getting old, because I just don't get the rabid love for Megan Fox. She's pretty, yes, but if you stood in Hollywood and tossed a stone in a random direction I'm sure you'd get a cry of pain and a lawsuit from someone equally attractive and with as much (or more) acting ability.

6. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it last night. I didn't think it was as good as the first, but it's perfectly fine as mindless entertainment. Turn off you brain, leave your expectations at the door, and enjoy all of the CGI and Megan Fox goodness. A pure popcorn summer action flick, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not understanding those who absolutely hated it, but I can easily see all of the film's flaws. I was really frustrated at the lack of screen time for most of the autobots. Optimus Prime is the lead, so naturally he gets most of the focus. Bumblebee gets decent screen time, as do Jetfire and the twins (who weren't that bad, but definitely weren't needed). Ironhide was great in the opening scene, then disappeared. Ratchet was chillin' in the background for the entire film. I don't understand the concept of Arcee (3 bikes that transform into 3 robots? huh?) and I believe she had one line in the entire film. Volt (who was, cleverly enough, a Chevy Volt) got about 30 seconds of screen time. I mean, what's the point? Other than to sell more toys for Hasbro?

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Hasbro wanted to sell more toys, every Autobot that you knew would die in the first act and then we'd follow around Ultra Magnus, Kup and Hot Rod around for the rest of the movie, and all the Decepticons would get 100% facelifts with new names and new vechicle forms.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's because people felt that, despite it's problems, Trek was still a fun and entertaining movie. TF2's problems are a LOT more pronounced and hard to ignore.

And I gotta ask. What is this "whinged" word I keep seeing on the internet? Is that a british spelling of "whine", or do people just not know the proper spelling?

It's driving me nuts. lol

9. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Neither. "whinge" is largely synonymous with "whine" on this island, but it implies a more snivelling, pathetic and pointless form of whining.

I'm not even going to get into the idea of Johnny Foreigner lecturing the British on the correct application of the Queen's English. ;)

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^Ok, you got me there. :)

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually had a problem with the special effects: the colors of the robots were too bright, or the contracst with real objects stood out too much, expecially for new characters. Prime, and almost any charaster that appeared in the old flm looked ok, but there were things that bugged me all the tiny characters especially, they seemed to bright, the colors not muted enough. In the first film when we see Blackout transform quickly from the alley, it was seemlessly executed, and his colors were perfectly done, like he was lit by the actual light everyone else was light by. The new characters were too brightly lit

12. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I have to ask, how would the dogs humping each other insult your intelligence?

I've never understood why people care what a films rating is on rotten tomatoes.

It's either "yay its high" or "haha its low". If the film doesnt make money, a high rating wont get it a sequel, and if it makes money, a low one wont stop a sequel, and neither affect how you enjoyed or dislike the movie. Why care??

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I wnet to see it with the need to leave the theater often (nature wasn't cooperating with me) but there were some things that puzzled me. First off I'm a huge fan of the franchise.

1. Megatron was a tank, but somehow he could still rocket around the city?
    2. How exactly did the Matrix reform?
    3. How does one activate a shard of the alspark to get it to bring machines to life?

14. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love how people in this thread post spoiler warnings and are hiding things in invisiotext, when the movie clearly doesnt have any kind of plot to spoil. :lol:

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I mentioned before the annoyance of totally not focusing on the Autobots, and just to add to that I assumed the movie would shift to their focus after the death of Optimus- seeign how they deal with his death, maybe seeing Ironhide taking up the leadership mantle, etc
    But no. We see sod all. Ratchet & Ironhide seemed to just dissapear (apart from getting angry at the soldiers in one scene), and those annoying twins continue to act like fuckwits as though nothing's happened.

Something like this would have been nice-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ULg4RSy5Y
    :D

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

1. cuz he's a flying tank or a triple changer
    2. magic
    3. bang it hard apparently. given the shard banged into the table and activated the Kitchenicons and banged into Jetfire and reactivated him. and when Sam bumped the Cube in 1 it activated Dispensor, Xboxatron and the car steering wheel.

17. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Remember the scene where Shia crossed over briefly to some Transformer version of heaven and met the 7 of the original Primes? They basically gave Shia their blessings and told him that it's his destiny to reactivate prime. I found the scene worth of a chuckle because I would never expect a moment of divine/spiritual interventation in a Michael Bay film.

18. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

six. The Fallen was the seventh Prime.

you know, if Megatron's Prime's bro, that means Megatron's a Prime.

Megatron Prime...

it just sounds wrong...

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in the cartoon in the 80s he turned into a gun and could fly.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Above Average. It wasn't the train-wreck I was expecting based on all the reviews and negative comments.

- It wasn't boring, it was fun and entertaining.

- It wasn't too long. I don't mind that it was 2.5 hours. I'm tired of these 70 minute popcorn flicks. I like a movie with a decent length. I hope the complaints don't scare the studio into making the next one too short.

- Great use of the human characters from the first movie. Well done. I especially loved Shia's and Turturro's performances. Shia is good with the wise cracks as always and did pretty well with that scene in class where he was on mental overload.

- The Fallen, as a villain, turned out to be better than I expected. I was surprised that Megatron was taking orders though.

- The whole 7 Primes thing is fascinating. Now I find myself curious and wanting names.

- The humor isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. The only really bad line that sticks in my head was when Optimus Prime said "Pull over!" to that big wheeled decepticon at the beginning. That was lame. That bit with Devastator's balls was lame and unfunny too, but I had to laugh, because it was lame and unfunny. :lol: At least that's my excuse for laughing. :vulcan:

- When the movie started, I couldn't follow what was going on. The autobots were too busy-looking and the fight shots were so quick that everything looked like a mish-mash of parts on screen. I got used to it though and had no problem after that.

- That scene in the museum would have been a nice opportunity to introduce the Arialbots. They even had the concord and everything.

- When I saw the shuttle, I thought of Astrotrain.

- Having a decepticon that could mimic a human form was pretty impressive. I wonder if she was "fully functional". Hey you thought it too. Built in fleshlight perhaps? OK, I 'll stop now. :o

- I was impresed with how they updated Soundwave and his cassette.

- Even if it was just a conspiracy theory, I liked the idea of autobots living on Earth decades ago as classic vehicles.

Stuff I didn't like...

- Poor use of the autobots including the classic ones. That's been talked about at length already.

- Looks like they ignored the fact that Bumblebee got his voice back in the first movie.

- The movie made it seem like the public didn't know about robots from outerspace living among them.

- Didn't like Arcee's unicyle robot mode.

- Megatron's voice was unimpressive.

- I liked Devastator's ape-like movements, but he was too busy. At times, you couldn't even make out that he was a robot or anything in particular for that matter.

- The final battle seemed to be nothing but a lot of random explosions and running.

- In the first movie, I could buy that Sam could have a girlfriend that looked like Megan Fox, because it actually isn't uncommon for geeky/average joe's to have hot girlfriends these days, but this time it didn't ring true. Maybe it's because Megan Fox's persona is so exposed and well known in the media that I can't help but think of her instead of her character. In other words, I couldn't see Sam Witwicky with Megan Fox.

That's all I can think of for now.