Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a thing.

I assume the intended suggestion is that Supes wouldn't be concerned by looking silly because he's just a good guy who's not self-obsessed or trying to prove anything. Just doing the right thing is what matters.

None of which begins to explain why he'd choose the red trunks to begin with.

Or run around in tights and a red cape, for that matter. :lol:

Faora's outfit looks similar to Superman's other than the color. I guess the intention is to associate the way he dresses more directly with his Kryptonian background, another thing which the upcoming reboot is apparently going to do.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The costume does have a belt in those pictures. It isn't very visible but there is one, and there appeared to be one in the original photo as well.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think a design the incorporates red and blue together in a design would work good.

[​IMG]

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I see the belt, but it's almost the exact same shade of blue. There's nothing to break up the endless pattern of blue, which is my point (and, honestly, it's my only complaint with the suit and Cavill -- I love the look, otherwise).

5. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think very few superhero costumes survive the translation from page to screen without becoming some degree of ridiculous. Iron Man has probably worked best, because his costume is a technological battle suit, and the bright colors fit Tony's personality as depicted in the film. Cap's WWII suit is just this side of believable because they grounded it so thoroughly in something that looked like it might be a commando uniform of that era. The modern-day Avengers variant is less successful in that respect. Thor is...Thor. If you're buying that Asgard and it's inhabitants exist, then I guess they can wear whatever the hell they want, however chuckle-worthy.

Superman and Batman and Spidey are just silly in person. Why does Batman have a cape? I know, he uses it as a glider occasionally, but isn't it a hindrance most of the time? Doesn't the cowl obstruct his hearing and peripheral vision? Doesn't it get hot? Don't the pointy ears reduce his head clearance in tight situations?

Supes is invulnerable and super-everything, so I guess wearing a cape won't hurt him, but then you wonder why he wears it at all. Are the cape and underpants and red booties some sort of Gaga-esque affectation?

Spidey's formfitting bodysuit makes some sense, but the color and design certainly works against stealth. Also, as was brought up elsewhere, the gloves and boots would seem to be an impediment to his sticktoititveness.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Back in the 50s and 60s Kryptonians wore colorful jackets and tights emblazoned with emblems of one kind or another - Jor-El's being a stylized sun. So yeah, the tradition does go back a ways.

I still miss the transparent plastic rings the Els and their countrymen wore instead of hats during the Wayne Boring days. I don't see why successive generations of artists haven't understood that these were absolutely essential to the Superman mythos. ;)

8. Admiral_Young

Bruce uses his cape as an offensive weapon occasionally as well as a defensive aide, and his cowl is lined with high tech equipment that aides him in his war on crime.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

I think that's a somewhat more plausible justification for the cowl than for the cape.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 70's Spider-Man outfit is better than anything seen on screen so far. Screw aesthetics, if we're looking for 'realism' in our superhero movies the Spidey outfit absolutely needs to look as though it was put together by some nerd in his bedroom.

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I agree. Superhero costumes are impractical as depicted. But I wouldn't want it any other way. Sure a cape on a superhero crime fighter is a disaster waiting to happen...if this were reality...but since it isn't reality we can just throw practicality out the window and enjoy the fantasy cape, cowl and all.

12. Admiral_Young

They're impractical because comic books are intended to be a form of escapism, not realism. It hasn't been until the last few decades that attempts at realism, or "explaining" things has seeped into the various companies books. Back in the day it was all about telling the story and entertaining your readership.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Some of the older storytelling is naive and doesn't translate well to other media now. In what universe does an apparently sole proprietorship, small aircraft company in SoCal design, prototype, build and test an advanced robotic fighter plane under Pentagon contract - the approval of which hinges on a single dog-and-pony show? If Ferris had come up with a single worthwhile design innovation somewhere along the way they would have wound up subcontracted to Lockheed-Martin or Boeing, and then the big guys would have eaten their lunch. :lol:

14. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyone notice that the hair seems to be a bit shorter?

15. Admiral Buzzkill

One would hope. I can't tell that it's shorter than in the first official picture - these are too low-rez - but it's shorter than what he was sporting in public a couple of weeks ago.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't the longer hair for 'younger' Clark sequences?

17. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed - in for a penny/in for a pound and all that. :)

18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Deja vu. This has happened before, right?

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I love the cape and the huge shield, and I'm glad that the goofy trunks are gone. I wish the belt were more of a gold color (though it very well could be, and it just didn't register well in the photo), but other than that I like this new costume a lot. :techman:

20. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

It is funny how people get used to certain things. Imagine the uproar if Superman had always been without the red trunks then suddenly in this movie they added the red trunks! People would still complain.