Star Wars live action series?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sbk1234, Jan 19, 2009.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Thread title nearly says it all. Does anyone have any information about the live action Star Wars series that's supposed to take place between episodes 3 and 4? New information would be preferred.

2. btflash

btflash Captain Captain

http://tv.ign.com/articles/859/859974p1.html

according to this article it has been delayed and won't be out till 2010.

3. Obi Wana Jones

Obi Wana Jones Lieutenant Red Shirt

This one of those things that you hope to see, but dread seeing at the same time.

I have only had the opportunity to catch a few eps of the animated Clone Wars series, and have been impressed by the story telling. I hope they can maintain the quality.

The prequel series, while still entertaining, was an overall letdown. Like ROTJ, the prequels suffered from writing intended to create merchandise. Remember, Lucas and team created the Ewoks to sell Star Wars teddy bears; originally, the planetside battles were intended to be Chewie's return to his homeworld.

Too much in EP III was rushed; Mace's death should have been an epic duel with Anakin after Mace injured the Emperor. The battle on the Wookie homeworld (probably intended to right the wrong from ROTJ) should have been much more detailed, instead we had a few short minutes. Obi Wan and Darth/Anakin's duel was good, but ridiculous: first, the temperature of that planet alone would have seared the flesh off human bones; secondly, all the volcanic gas would have been too poisonous for survival. Lucas' own original concept (as described in an interview after the original SW was released) was a duel at the peak of a volcano, with Darth being defeated and falling into the volcanic pit. A bit more "realistic" than dueling on rocks floating on volcanic rapids.

4. ChickenPug!

ChickenPug! Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm interested to see this as well. Reviews where mixed on the animated series. I personally can't watch it but I'm willing to give the live action show a watch. I would love it if they could knock it out the park again.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

So basically you wanted RotS to be four and a half hours long?

6. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^That would have been cool!

7. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Look for it to be delayed at least a year for every year that goes by.

Lucasfilm statements will amount to "We've got top men working on it!"

8. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread is off to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum labs for further analysis...

9. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

I know nothing about it except what you have in your thread-starter? Known that some time now.

Here's hoping said series is well written, like The PRISONER, Oz, 24, TZ, TOL 60's & 90's, et al.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

"Top. Men."

12. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

according to wookiepedia, we will see, as lucas is quoted, one series turn to 4, and by the fact that for promotion boba fett's helmet is used, as well as him holding off on having other writers write books about Leia, were looking at atleast the telling of what Boba and Leia did in those 19 unseen years

13. Prydonian

Prydonian Lieutenant Red Shirt

On the basis of the first 13-or-so episodes of The Clone Wars series, my hopes for the live action series have risen considerably. Maybe they should finish TCW first, then transfer the writers to the live-action series (if they are not burned out too much by then).

14. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wondered about this too. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I kept hearing about a show like this but all that was said was about The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. And I'm thinking, that's not what I remember hearing what's going to be on...

15. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doubt it would happen, but I'd be pleased if they did further animated series set between the other films. The possiblities are endless. Except Luke couldn't meet Vader every week :D

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The big question is, will this series be mature? The clone wars is fine for kids but a live action show should be much more mature and target 18 to 40 year olds who grew up with Star Wars but adon't want to see a dam kid show!

17. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also have wondered this. That's what's great about Star Trek, it can be mature and still be an an awesome series.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I recall them saying that it will be darker than even RotS which is news I like. :techman:

19. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Sadly, with Harvey Korman's death, it means such iconic characters as Krelman and Chef Gormaanda would either have to be recast or written out. I just couldn't bear to watch.

;)

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

If you look at the Wookiepedia entry they have a link to an interview where Lucas says the show will air on HBO. Its described as Deadwood and the Sopranos in Space.