Kate Mulgrew's Memoir "Born with Teeth".

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JanewayRulz!, Apr 12, 2015.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a nice interview between our Lady and the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-kate-mulgrew-conversation-20150412-story.html

I caught the last half of this next interview on the car radio Saturday morning.

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/11/39876...ess-kate-mulgrew-on-a-life-lived-with-abandon

Holy sh*t! This next blurb contains a significant story point of the memoir that I was unaware of and I'm not talking about her 1st child! :eek: At least I don't think I am. :wtf:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenand...w-and-candice-bergen-release-memoirs-20150409

:klingon:

If you will be in Philly 4/28, consider buying a ticket to the library. :mallory:

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/arts-and-culture/cover-story/Get_Lit-296629881.html

Or in Chicago 4/16th.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...ary-events-allison-pataki-20150219-story.html

They are cheaper than a convention ;) and you get a copy of the book. :bolian:

2. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's horrible! I hate hearing about stuff like that. Glad she was able to overcome her painful past and focus on the positives in life.

3. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not inconceivable that I may find myself in the neighborhood, on that date ...

4. delenn13

delenn13 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was shocked too. The incident takes up 4 pages of the book too.

I preordered the book and audio version costing over $40.00CA. So now I can have our Auburn Queen read her book to me while I clutch the hard copy in my hands. :) Having 40.00 of gift cards at Chapters plus the free shipping, the two items only cost me 3.78. Go me!

5. Beawild

Beawild Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

She will be at the Barnes & Noble in Union Square (NYC) this Wednesday, April 15 at 7:00 PM. I might go. Is anyone else going?

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That's what life was like in the 60s, people. My ex's mother was just as bad.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was totally :eek: at that line.

8. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Has anyone read it and, if so, how much does it deal with:

A. Voyager in general
    B. The Jeri Ryan brouhaha specifically

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

C. The ill-treatment of Jennifer Lien and the character Kes.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I would totally read a Mulgrew/VOY variant of Star Trek Memories.

PhotoBoy likes this.
  11. teacake

I am sure when the nearly 60 year old Kate Mulgrew looks back on her life these things are like, super important.

12. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I just preordered it. :) I'm not a big Janeway fan, but I think it will be a good read.

13. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

I'm sorry, but I really have no interest in this.

14. JanewayRulz!

^^ :confused:

uh... okay.

15. Janeway’s Girl

My main reason for wanting to read it is that I want to know why she gave up her daughter.

16. teacake

Because she was young and unmarried in an era and from a religious background where that is what people did.

I'm interested in her finding her daughter again, she has lovely things to say about her.

17. JanewayRulz!

SPOILERS...

In one of the interviews I listened to and THINK I posted a link to, she mentions that ...

her mom encouraged her to give the baby up for adoption when Kate called home to give her the news. Her mom at the time had just (recently) buried one of her own daughters and presumably wasn't in the mood to take on the care of a newborn. Kate realized that at the stage of life she was in, she could not devote herself to the child and to learning/practicing her craft. Evidently she changed her mind "soon" after and tried unsuccessfully to find the child for many years.

18. Janeway’s Girl

It's just so sad. Hearing stories like hers makes me thankful that I did not grow up in a religious home.

19. JanewayRulz!

20. teacake

JRulez I truly love that article.

Janeway's Girl it's not just religion, it's the era. It was the normal thing to be pressured to give up a baby for adoption if you were unmarried. Yes it's a horrible thing and it's wrong but you would be told you were doing the best thing for the baby, why bring the child up already shamed by having an unwed mother?

It's hard to wrap your head around but it still happens (particularly in the US where adoption is an industry) today.

I can't imagine being the grandmother and wanting my grandchild to be given away, never to see them again. I would take any grandchild whose parents were unable to care for it without a second's thought. But I also live in a time and place where society would support this as a great thing, not a shameful fix of a mistake.