Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Eh, the movie is out in 2 weeks. I don't need anymore commercials/trailers.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think all these Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp lookalikes criticising the looks of Amy Adams, Kirsten Dunst etc should post pics of themselves, so we can marvel at their Adonis-like perfection. #just saying#

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been ready for this film since it was first announced...but agreed, have seen enough footage now. I'm more than ready to see the film :)

4. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Any more trailers and I will be able to put the whole movie together from them. Lets get to it already.

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do we have to upload our own movies if we see a film we don't like as well?

6. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People do that already.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If you've made any films, yes you should. But seeing as most people haven't made films, whereas all of them have faces, my option is probably easier.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You don't have to be pretty to judge pretty,

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That Amy adams stuff actually surprised me. I mean, did that many people watch Night at the Museum 2 or Enchanted? Catch Me if You Can was a good movie, but her role was pretty small (I couldn't even remember who she was, but Wikipedia says she was in it). Of her other movies, its just stuff I've never heard of (which is most of it) or never saw (like The Muppets). Still, I'm not in the demographic for things like the movies she seems to usually does so its entirely possible thats shes famous to a lot of people. To me, she's just a woman I've seen in small parts or in a bad movie like Night at the Museum 2, and those seem to be what her normal role is.

On another topic, that #11 TV spot was really underwhelming. It also had enough explosions to make Michael Bay jealous, but that seems to be every TV spot for Superman anyway.

:rolleyes:

I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm saying superficial when it comes to looks, and she's the only part of the movie i've commented on in that way. My other complaints aren't what I'd call superficial. They may not be valid for everybody (some people would love this to be as dark, depressing, slow, and boring as Nolan's batman movies) but, outside of the admittedly superficial complaint about Amy Adams being very bland looking and forgettable, I haven't brought up superficial stuff very much. Maybe I said the Superman suit sucks (and it does, although not as much as the current suit in the comics) but the suit could be pink and lime green for all I care if the movie was good.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, they were both big hits.

Forgive me, but only someone with a very limited knowledge of film could think that.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That is why I will not be ashamed to judge them when they put up their photos.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a film expert. Looking at most of her movies on wikipedia, they're mostly styff stuff I have absolutely no interest in. I'm not arguing that I have the same tastes as snob film critics, I don't. I realised that a long time ago, and I'm reminded whenever stupid things like silent movies or films about a gameshow in india are declared the best movie of the year.

Still, looking at her movies on wikipedia, are low budget drama's or adaptations of stage plays that popular? What about movies that are completely made for women?Am I that ignorant because I haven't seen Junebug? Or Doubt, Julie & Julia, or The Fighter? These are not what I'd call normal movies, from the perspective of movies trying to get a general audience and not just specific demographics like only women, or people that like independant stuff. Not that she hasn't done several general movies, but all the movies that are listed as having a bunch of awards are mostly bizarre movies that I don't think I'd be expected to have seen even if I did watch more general movies and less sci-fi/fantasy. Also, Night at the Museum was a horrible movie, regardless of how much money it made. I'm not arguing that she's well known to some people, I'm just saying she's not what I'd call a generally famous star that everyone should probably be expected to know.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Various info and spoilers for the movie that Collider gathered during their time on the set of Man of Steel

-There is no second unit on Man of Steel. Zack Snyder shot every scene himself.

-Everything in Man of Steel was shot on hand held cameras.

-Collider was informed that Superman kicks a lot of ass but also gets his ass kicked.

- A pretty interesting revelation, the filmmakers have a three-level strength class. It's made up of a regular human, other Kryptonians and Superman. It's unclear whether they mean 'Kryptonians on Krypton' or 'Kryptonians on Earth'. If its the second option then that heavily implies that Superman is stronger than Zod and his cohorts, which would actually make sense as he's been on Earth far longer. They also touch on Superman's strength, saying that he has limits, 'he can't fly through space for an infinite amount of time.' I think you can expect to see Superman flying through space and maybe running out of breath and falling back down to the Earth (that would be a great visual) but that's just my speculation.

-Snyder confirmed there are NO slow-motion action shots in Man of Steel.

-David S. Goyer says a 'power or two' that's never been revealed before in any previous version of a Superman film will be shown in Man of Steel. Heat vision, super speed, flight, strength and super breath have all been done before. What does that leave?

-Krypton's backstory:
    Krypton has been civilized for 100,000 years and they have been traveling in space for over 25,000 years. In addition, the gravity on Krypton is 4 to 10 times that of Earth and humans can’t breathe on the planet. This is all going to be used to explain why Superman can fly, how he gets his powers, and the science behind everything. Krypton is a true alien world and the production created a full Kryptonian language. When we see some of the buildings on Krypton and they have writing on the side, you will be able to translate it as they will have meaning.​
    Sound like Krypton is just like Planet Vegeta.

-Krypton's social system is akin to feudal Japan, complete with their own Gods and Guilds. In feudal Japan, there was a strict hierarchy and lower class individuals were essentially at the mercy of their upper class superiors. Superman will have to decide whether he will follow the moral code of Krypton or Earth.

-Superman's costume is not just a fashion statement or an undergarment for Kryptonian astronaut armor. It can actually do 'something' and has a specific reason for being created.

-Christopher Nolan was not on set during filming but he did call Goyer to keep in touch with the film's progress.

-Henry Cavill has to "warm up" his American accent. He can't just 'speak it' on the spot.

-There's no comic relief character in Man of Steel.

-One of Superman's earliest battles is against Faora and a Kryptonia robot. Superman was losing but then fires a heat blast and his reaction seems to indicate that's the first time he's discovered that power.

-When the US Army shows up to attack the three combatants, the robot takes the most damage, Faora moves a bit more but Superman hardly moves an inch. An indicator of the difference in strength and invulnerability level of the film's main fighters.

-Continuing the battle with Faora and the Krypton robot, at some point during the confrontation, Superman realized he can't win.

-The battle that's described is pretty intense. Thrown U-Haul trucks, exploding helicopters, even a facedown slam from Superman on Faora that cracks the ground.

-From the scene being described, the battle is the one onlookers captured last summer during filming where Faora and the infamous Mo-Cap Man confronted Superman.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

They may not be your type of movies, but it's not like they were small indie films that only "movie snobs" liked. DOUBT, JULIE & JULIA, THE FIGHTER, etc. were all major motion pictures that played in suburban multiplexes, not just dinky little art theaters in the West Village or whatever. And ENCHANTED was a mega-hit that most of America (and probably everyone with kids) has seen more than once. Amy Adams is far and away the biggest-name star to ever play Lois Lane.

(I mean, it's not like Margot Kidder was a household name back in 1978!)

Saying that dramas and comedies and chick flicks don't count as real movies is like saying that only hamburgers and pizza count as "normal" food, as opposed to all that "mostly bizarre" stuff like tacos and tandoori and sushi!

(And that silent movie, THE ARTIST, was a whole lot of fun, btw. You should check it out!)

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Stupid things like silent movies? Seriously? There are a LOT of amazing silent movies.

Of course, what were they thinking, why didn't they wait for the invention of sound before the invention of film. Stupid inventors...

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

He doesn't mean silent films in general. He's talking about The Artist winning Best Picture at the Oscars.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Given his track record, I don't know. He didn't say A stupid thing like A silent movie.

He said stupid thingS like silent movieS, plural. As in ALL silent movies.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that. ;)

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, in context, it's clear he's referring to recent Oscar winners like THE ARTIST and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.

Just to belabor the point about Amy Adams, btw, it should probably be noted that Julie & Julia was hardly a small, artsy cult film. It was an extremely popular mainstream film that grossed nearly $100 million in the US alone. Heck, even my mother saw it and she almost never goes to the movies anymore.

20. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought the Official Movie Guide today, but I'm going to somehow resist reading the text until after I see the film, lest I stumble upon any spoilers (if there are any significant ones out there). I'll allow myself permission to just look at the photos. :)