Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, my favorite moment in that last ad is Clark saying to the guy he just saved from certain death, "You okay?" :)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Its my favorite part too!

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I liked that moment too. He's is letting the military know that he is a good guy.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's a total Superman moment :)

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's some serious heat-vision Superman's using in that trailer. I'm glad to see some actual beams again, but I'm not sure I wanted it to look THAT powerful.

Yeah I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the genuine emotion that seems to be coming through in these trailers. There's none of that over-stylized and artificial feel that we usually get from Snyder's movie trailers, and the characters actually seem surprisingly believable and real.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know where to start praising these trailers.

The spectacle? The SFX? The action? The way Henry totally sells the 'You okay?' and 'Excuse me' moments? Russell Crowe (who I haven't liked in anything for years) as Jor-El? Costner as Jonathan Kent? Michael Shannon? The way Snyder seems to have made a film that makes redundant all those 'slower than a speeding bullet' jokes (of which I'm as guilty as anyone)?

Can't wait.

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That last TV (#7) spot was decent. At the very least, it didn't make me think of Johnathan Kent and the drowning of children :vulcan: Superman seemed to not be as depressed as I thought he'd be, but being somewhat normal with two lines in a tV spot doesn't mean he won't start copying bale's Batman for most of the movie (and bearded clark argues for dark, depressed Superman more than two lines from a trailer argue against).

Also, Lois is starting to get annoying, and it has nothing do do with her lines. The trouble with casting people that look nothing like more common versions of the characters in stuff like this is that it gets confusing. I expect Lois to have black or very dark brown hair, so when I'm not thinking about it I can't tell if she's in a trailer/tv spot or not. Thats not always a problem if the actor/actress is memorable (like Laurence Fishbure, I'd have never picked him as Perry but he's easily identifiable) but Amy Adams is so bland and not Lois like that its honestly hard to tell in a fast trailer/TV spot if its Lois or random women in certain clips.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

New TV spot looks fantastic.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

You do know her father is a general in the US Army and she grew up as an Army brat? That alone makes it likely she'll grab some sort of weapon and actually know how to use it (well, more likely than just about any other non-soldier character in the movie).

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never been much of a Superman fan, but have to say that I don't think you could've put together a more stellar cast and crew than was assembled for Man of Steel, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing it.

I just watched the third full-scale trailer, BTW, and really like the tone and 'look' Snyder et al have brought to the table; it reminds me of 300 and 30 Days of Night crossed with Barman Begins and The Amazing Spider-Man, with a bit of The Avengers and Spider-Man 2 tossed in as well.

11. kirk55555

Yeah, I know that, and I'm all for Lois being more than a damsel in distress. It was just a comment after seeing Jor-El, who's supposed to be just a scientist, look like he's about to laucnh into a action movie star rampage against the bad guys with his stupid armor and weird (I'm assuming laser?) gun. I could probably have replaced Lois with Ma Kent or something in the comment. Still, army brat =/= working knowledge on using a rocket launcher. Besides, it doesn't look like a rocket launcher would be very helpful, anyway. My point (about Jor-El stupidly being turned into a fighter and wether or not the movie will keep doing that) still stands.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My anticipation for Man of Steel has gone up from 4-5 out of the big movies to possibly even #2 now. It's an astoundingly impactful trailer in Imax 3D.

RAMA

13. Gojira

I have to laugh that you can be so harshly judgmental on a character who has only been flashed on the screen for seconds from a few very fast paced trailers!

Anyway, if you have watched the Adventures of Superman, when Noel Neill played Lois Lane she had red hair through out the rest of the series. In the last season, according to the commentary on of the episodes, she had to dye it and even brighter red.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Close. It's a Kryptonian gun :D

TV Spot number 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu-JMgYhvpA

[​IMG]

15. davejames

I'll never understand this fanboy need to have every character in a superhero movie look exactly like their comic book counterpart (especially when it comes to female characters like Lois or Mary Jane).

16. kirk55555

I don't need them to try for an exact match. Heck, I liked Lois in Smallville (most of the time) and she doesn't look like a traditional Lois. My problem with MoS Lois (well, the biggest one) is that she's extremely bland and not memorable. I could see myself watching the movie and then just forgetting who she is if they don't keep constantly calling her name.

I mean, in a perfect world, comic book movie actors would look like the comic book counterparts all the time. I'm watching a movie based off a franchise I like, I'm not there to see them pull out some random actress, call her "Lois" and then just have to accept that this random woman is the character I'm used to. If you're not going to use the characters normal liknesses/personalities, or close to it, why bother to use them at all? Its like casting Patton Oswalt as Thor or Christopher Walken as Captain America. No one in their right mind would do that, because its just stupid. MoS Lois isn't that bad, but she is bland and forgettable. Still, I don't need characters to be exact. I was fine with black Heimdall in Thor and stuff likie that, but you should be able to identify a major character on sight, and the actress for Lois is just too bland for that.

That said, a forgettable Lois is a very small problem in a movie that looks to be full of them. I just mentioned it because I started noticing it.

17. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

I'd still really, really like to see just one shot of Clark Kent in the glasses. I'd prefer to see the shirt open with the S showing, but I'll settle for the glasses.

18. davejames

Wow, yet another trailer. They're really cranking these out.

19. Gojira

It just makes no sense to judge Amy Adams as a bland Lois based on what we have seen. You haven't seen the movie yet and there is no way you can judge her unless you have a preconcived notion to judge and hate the movie before even seeing it, which you have demonstrated that that is the case for you. :crazy:

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

How dare anyone describe Amy Adams as bland!