THOR: THE DARK WORLD - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

4.5%
  2. A

28.2%
  3. A-

21.8%
  4. B+

20.0%
  5. B

10.9%
  6. B-

8.2%
  7. C+

6.4%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

If Anthony Hopkins isn't back for the next film, they could kill him off? I'm sure I'd read somewhere he'd had enough.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, it's pretty apparent from the interview in question. But I still can't see how Loki could rule except as disguised as Odin, which would require Anthony Hopkins or a recast.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Betting that Heimdall's knife was made of the same stuff as Mjolnir.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Or just set the next film past the point where Loki's been found out, in which case he'd want to be disguised as anyone other than Odin.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess they could do it Quantum Leap style, showing the real/non-visible Loki most of the time and only giving us some (perhaps CG) renderings of the visible Odin disguise in brief shots here and there, but I do hope they coax Hopkins back, if only for a few scenes.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If they get rid of Odin off screen, I'm going to throw my shoes against the screen.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Forged from the heart of a dying star?
    I think Mjolnir is unique in that regard.

So Hopkins may not be back? I didn't follow production and interviews closely on this film. That's a bummer to hear. Hope he changes his mind.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Heh, I kinda like that. Even then, I hope they get him back because at least some setup for the Quantum Leap premise would work best with Hopkins recording some of the dialog. Even a scene where you see Loki speaking (from his perspective) and it cuts mid-dialog to the other perspective to make it clear that everyone else sees Odin speaking would be helpful. Really just that one scene would be enough, though. After that, you can use old footage and a gratuitous amount of Asgardian mirrors to take care of the rest.

It's a little sad that the big name actors are often regarded as the weakest links in the Thor movies. At least Natalie Portman seems to like being in the movies, though, so I appreciate that.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't be to surprised if they just recast, at least for one movie to finish up Odin's story. They've already done it several times in the franchise, so it obviously doesn't bother them to much.

10. Robert Maxwell

Shouldn't you throw them slightly to the side of the screen?

11. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My 11 year old son and I saw it Monday night. I gave it a solid B+, but he would give it an A+++ if it were up to him. The Asgard home world is a little too prequel Star Wars-y for my tastes.

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Just got home from it - LOVED it!

Best blend of SF and fantasy I've EVER seen.

Now Playing Podcast can stick it up their arse - they've just lost ALL credibility with me - they DO NOT know what they're talking about!!!

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not fantastic, but enjoyable - a good solid 'B' from me.

Hiddleston was brilliant, as normal...

14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As for the idea of any version of Odin being taken out off-camera...no.

No, thank you.

15. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

Ditto. Nice humor, great special effects, forget about a coherent plot . . . its just not part of the package. Sit back, ignore and enjoy.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it:

One question.. and I've heard it answered both ways.

When Loki was in his cell talking to Fredda, and you learn that she was an illusion, was it her projecting herself into his cell, or was it Loki creating an illusion of his mother to keep himself company.

By the way, Fridda's fight scene was awesome. She trounced Meleketh. No contest

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure it was Frigga projecting herself into Loki's cell. I think either she or he mentioned how she taught him how to use illusions. She later demonstrated her ability by projecting an illusion of Jane to fool Malekith.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oh ok, thank you.

But somehow, it would have been more interesting if Loki needed her so much that he projected her. It's through her that his vestiges of virtue come through.

Also, Frigga did better in her fight against Meleketh than Thor. She trounced him.

19. Robert Maxwell

I don't think the scene makes any sense if she's an illusion from Loki's mind.

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Maybe so, but there are many other scenes that don't make sense throughout the film. I'm not saying the film wasn't enjoyable, but there wasn't much in the way of logic.

This film had awful editing. There was that great scene where Erik was at Stonehenge, but it was funny once. They literally showed the same scene twice. Ugh.

Te end battle, which played like the video game "Portal" was pretty inspired.