The All-New DALLAS!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I didn't even know there was a new episode last night. I thought they were taking a break for the 4th of July. ...I mean Independence Day. ;)

2. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

there was one in canada

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And from Canada the world.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Christopher wants to explain himself to Elena, why doesn't he simply tell her that he was trying to be a good husband and push her away, to remove temptation from his marriage which has now gone kaboom. Poor boy is guilty of nothing but bad timing.

I'm far from familiar with the legal process for turning property over to an environmental trust, but I would assume that Bobby signed some kind of document saying stuff like "this property is held in trust and will not be developed in any way, such as by having oil wells sunk all over it." In which case, all the legal shenanigans are moot - JR can't legally own the property since he is not a trust (the mind boggles) and even if he transferred it to a trust in his name, the prohibition on development still stands. I'd also think there would be some language about the property not being sale-able to any other entity, and certainly not one that would just go ahead and develop it.

And if Bobby didn't even bother to read what he signed and make sure it said something about "no development, ever," he deserves to get screwed out of the property.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Bobby didn't "turn it over" to the trust. He sold it. It thus became the trust's property to do with as it pleased, including sell it to somebody else who wouldn't honor the trust's or Bobby's wishes. The only way to prevent it would be a codicil in the original sales agreement to prevent the resale of the property. The only way the resale to JR could be legal would be if that codicil didn't exist, and, as we now know, the resale to JR was legal.

6. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Interesting, it seems that Mitch Pileggi, who played Ann's ex-husband, had a different role on the original Dallas back in 1990. Nice to see Ann finally get a little bit of a backstory.

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

^ Pileggi was one of the crazies institutionalized in the sanitarium where J.R. had himself checked in to (in order to get his stepfather Clatyon's insane sister, Lady Jessica Montford, to sign over some contract to him) at the end of season 12. The big cliffhanger that year wound up revealing J.R.'s son James refusing to sign papers releasing J.R. from the sanitarium, effectively trapping J.R. for the beginning of season 13. Pileggi's character was a bully and made continued threats against J.R. throughout that arc - which was not one of their best, to be honest. About only two good things came out of it, and they were both lines of dialogue.

J.R. Just great. I wanted the A-Team, and you got me F-Troop!

And afterward, when J.R. finally does get out, Bobby rages on him for not being around during April's kidnapping (and murder):

BOBBY: Where were you last week when I really needed you, J.R.?

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I am definitely stealing that A-Team line. :rommie:

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I wanted land preserved as is, in perpetuity, that is exactly the codicil I would insist is in the agreement.

Otherwise, why did Bobby expect anything other than the possibility of the land being sold to an oil developer - in a week, in a year, in a decade? It sounded to me like Bobby was doing one of those deals where land is permanently placed out of the reach of any developer, basically forever - not just within the lifetime of the person who originally owned it, or his heirs, etc. Obviously Bobby didn't bother to read what he was signing (or more to the point, the writers of this show didn't bother to research how these things actually work.)

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

There's a couple of problems with this theory. First, the fake Marta claimed to represent people who wanted to buy Southfork, which means the group wouldn't be a trust, which is who Bobby would have dealt with if his real goal were to prevent development forever. The trust would manage the place, but he would still own it and therefore it would be managed according to his wishes, even after his death if he updates his will properly.

Therein lies the second problem. His real goal had nothing to do with preserving the land, although he considered that a fringe benefit. His real goal was to not own the land any more. He didn't want any Ewing to own it, including himself, so he sold it to a group that promised to preserve it, but selling it meant he gave up any right to say what was done with it. Personally, I think he knew that and didn't care because his only concern was that it didn't get sold back to a Ewing. I also think he was lax with the sales agreement because he was in a rush and figured the most dangerous Ewing, JR, didn't have the wherewithal to move in. He was wrong.

11. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely right. Instead of wasting time on these bland prettyboys' abs they should give us all the JR they can squeeze out of Hagman.

12. A beaker full of death

Not to mention her career.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Sad, but true.

14. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, we can only go by the face they collectively present to the public. The old timers and the noobs seem to have a really good relationship on an off set. If that's the case, then that's an environment, if the noobs are serious about developing themselves as actors, they will learn a lot and mature as actors and, hopefully, into their roles.

15. wissaboo

I'm happy with the half and half balance on the show now Though I'm a little concerned with JR leaving on a helicopter last episode.

we have to remember that these actors are past retirement age and filming an hour long drama has a punishing schedule.

16. wissaboo

I'm happy with the half and half balance on the show now Though I'm a little concerned with JR leaving on a helicopter last episode.

we have to remember that these actors are past retirement age and filming an hour long drama has a punishing schedule.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Patrick Duffy said it himself in a recent article: there is no show without JR.

That means there is no "half-and-half" balance. There's JR and there's everybody else. In my opinion, it's JR, then the old timers, then the noobs. I say, I'll watch as long as Larry Hagman is healthy enough to be in it. If it devolves into "The Noob Dallas" i'm finding something else to watch.

18. wissaboo

I agree it's not dallas without jr. But the viewer is going to have to be a bit understanding of the fact that he is an 80 year old man and can't handle the screen time he did 30 years ago.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

or...

Because he stopped drinking, Larry may be handling it better now.

Imagine if classic JR was Hagman at 10 percent?

The amount of resources he used to spend slacking off inside the bottle is about equal to what it's like to deal with being 80.

20. A beaker full of death

wait. I always thought it was Jeannie inside the bottle.