Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

But just got to New Mutants and...not liking that one so much...

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So I've been reading the current Miles Morales ongoing, I just got caught up, and its actually pretty good. After playing the Spider-Man: Miles Morales game, and then reading this series, I have been won over by the character. He is so much better outside of Bendis's hands, especially since he's a teenager instead of the 12 year old that he was in his debut (which is way too young for me to care about a superhero, at least Robin had the excuse of being created in the 40s). Its interesting how stuff outside the comics can make you interested in a character, like how the Agents of SHIELD TV show took me from hating the Reyes Ghost Rider to liking him alot. The Miles Morales game was the same way. Before playing the game I didn't like comic Miles, and I tolerated Into the Spider-Verse film Miles but considered him a weak point in the movie, but I grew to enjoy the character a lot in the game and now I'm enjoying his current comic run.

One issue his current series does have though, and its admittedly not in the writers control, is WAY too many crossover interruptions. I don't care about the Outlawed event, or the Beyond Corporation Spiider-Man storyline, I just want to read the adventures of Miles Morales without being interrupted every 2-4 issues by stuff that isn't particularly relevant to his story. It doesn't ruin the series by any stretch, but starting in around the 20s there is a period in the current ongoing where its obnoxious to have to get through the tie ins, especially since I refuse to read the rest of Outlawed or Beyond. The book has just gotten past Beyond though, so hopefully Miles can keep to his own story for awhile now.

So, yeah, I think this is the first Spider related Marvel book I've enjoyed since Silk's first ongoing, and hopefully it stays at the same level. Either way I'm definitely pro-Miles Morales now, although pre-OMD Peter Parker is still my favorite Spider-Man.

3. kirk55555

After going through Miles recent run I decided to try out some Moon Knight since I'm not that familiar with him, starting with Volume 7 (which started with Ellis writing and ended with Bunn for the last few issues). It was a pretty good book (although Warren Ellis is still an asshole, obviously). It was also unique for a book made after the 90s, in that many of the issues were one and done stories, which is nice to have sometimes, especially since it hasn't been a regular thing in the Big 2 comics for years.

So I enjoyed that run, and went to the next run, and...its written by Jeff Lemire :barf: He immediately basically retcons the bits of Moon Knight lore we got in the last volume (which said that Warren Spector didn't have a mental disorder, although he did have some brain damage from being resurrected all those years ago and that contributed to his identity issues). But with Lemire its straight into a mental institution, throwing out everything from the last volume and generally just being bullshit. I suppose I should be lucky that Lemire didn't retcon Khonshu into being an Avatar of "The White" or some other BS that he likes to pull.

So I'm skipping the rest of that volume and going to Volume 9, which doesn't have Lemire. Generally speaking I've been enjoying trying out some Moon Knight stuff. I don't think he'll ever break into my top 10 Marvel heroes, but there have definitely been some solid stories with him, and I definitely have more of an appreciation for the character.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact this has on the kind of stories we see coming up.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Having skipped the Swords thing I'm now almost up to date on the mutant titles (still a couple of months behind on the other Marvel books I follow) and have just got around to Way of X, which I had skipped.

It's a bit of a gem. Someone realised there was a story in what life on Krakoa and all it entails could do to a fledgling society...

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking through the new comics coming out today, and I see there's one of the X-Men comics is a flashback story to before Giant Size X-Men #1, and that got me wondering about something. When they do something like that, do they set it back when the story was originally released, or however many years ago the original story is supposed to have happened in universe?

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Generally the latter.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

In Marvel they usually use a movable timeline for past events, which fluctuates a lot. Franklin Richards was born in our 1968 and aged about four or five years by the early 80s. Then he hardly aged all for the next twenty years. Iron Man's capture that led to his origin keeps changing over the years.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's one of these things you cannot think about too hard - for example - Magneto has a hard origin tied to WW2, Charles has a floating one. At the same time, they are intended to be contemporaries.

12. kirk55555

They usually handwave stuff with their sliding timescale. A teenage 616 Peter Parker flashback, for example, would probably include at least the internet.

There is actually a really cool Deadpool comic (Deadpool #11, from his first ongoing in 1997) where he time travels and basically ends up in a 60s spider-Man comic, complete with the art style of the era. Its hilarious (Deadpool's first ongoing was a very solid run in general), and its cool to see a 90s character like Deadpool make fun of 60s Spider-man things.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK, thanks for the answers.

14. theenglish

Is that still the case? So immortality is one of his powers?

15. kirk55555

From what I remember, Magneto has actually been de-aged in storyline at least once, maybe twice, so his body is physically younger then it should be. Xavier is a bit trickier, I'd just say there was a several decade age difference between them when they met instead of them being contemporaries, although Xavier has both died/been reborn and been cured of health problems by aliens, so that could have effected his age, too.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As annoying as the constant reboots at DC can be, at least it does help resolve these kind of issues.

17. Turtletrekker

Or complicate them further.

dupersuper likes this.
  18. theenglish

As significant as Magneto's ties to the holocaust are and as important as those stories are, they were never his original origin. His timeline could be moved as other characters timelines have been moved.

19. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Waid's History of the Marvel Universe series and Busiek's The Marvels series recently inserted a made up war in a made up country into the timeline to replace Vietnam in the backstory of characters that were originally connected to that war (Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, The Thing, Punisher, etc). Being a made up war it can take place a perpetual 15 - 20 years ago, shortly before the modern Marvel heroic age began

It's the same at DC. JLA Year One (set in the first year of Superman's/Batman's/Martian Manhunter's/Flash's/Aquaman's/Green Lantern's/Green Arrow's/Black canary's super hero careers) had Snapper Carr racing Flash: trying to look up something online faster than Flash could look it up in the base's physical library (Flash won).

20. Turtletrekker