Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

No, we are not there yet!

As awesome as the group producing Exeter is, a they are fans, not pros, and they have to deal with oh... making a living... beside their work.

I understand your confusion. I did not know about BBS when I first discovered fan films... in MAY of THIS YEAR, and I delightedly watched each part of TTI until I tried to download Act IV. I thought I was having a computer problem!

Anyway, my blog will announce it in it's top "News" section very soon AFTER it's actual release (my blog is only in the present, what's available to see RIGHT NOW, TODAY, and does not deal with the future... except to the extent Star Trek stuff deals inherently with the future, of course!). I want Dennis and his Exeter friends to know we are waiting with great interest and gratitude for their past work and looking excitedly for Part IV, but with full knowledge that yes, YOU HAVE A LIFE and WE respect that!

In the meanwhile, Captain April, you are welcome to look and see what fan films, shorts, parodies, you may have missed (or tell me of any I may have missed!) while you wait for the release of ACT IV. That's what I'm doing! (my signature is a link to my collection of fan films on and off the web).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

3. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I must agree with you! Starship Exeter: TTI is already a truly outstanding episode of Trek!

As many know, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the final act. I even held off on watching the first three parts until a few months. I totally regret holding off now because of how gripping and how amazing those first three acts were. I am very excited about seeing the conclusion. It feels close. Based on posts by Dennis and others, I'm hoping we'll see it in November.

Now, here's a fascinating new angle. Many of you know that Phase II had planned on releasing Blood and Fire - Part 2 around Labour Day or early September or sometime in September or the fall or .... now the official release date is Nov 20 (I think).

One of things I keep reading is how you can count on Phase II to release an episode when they say they will. And I have found that to be true. Along with this goes the common talk about how they are not like Exeter... they won't keep fans waiting for years. Well, as I said, I'm hoping to see Exeter release TTI: Act 4 is November. Wouldn't it be amazing if after all the hype, all the fan teasing, if Exeter released the finale to TTI before Blood and Fire 2 is released?

I think that would be ironic! Dennis, could we get Jimm to aim for that? I love both productions and want to see both of them but given all the teasing over the years about Exeter's timetable, I think it would be great to see the ending of The Tressaurian Intersection before seeing the ending of Blood and Fire.

Anyone wanna gamble on this horse race? ;)

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

All my money is on The Last Dangerous Visions. :bolian:

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think that Jimm is even aware of other folks' schedules. He's doing his own thing.

I'm really busy right now with another project, through at least mid-December. I don't think that my contribution to getting Exeter out involves more than another hour of my time, though.

6. CaptainKen

Thanks for getting back, Dennis.

Do you think a 2009-release of Act IV is still possible?

It sure would be awesome to finally be done with it, wouldn't it? ;)

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I just bought the final issue of Planetary, so I now believe anything is possible. :eek:

8. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I would not mind seeing the final act before the year is out. One can only cross fingers.

9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Speaking from my own experience in post production, it reminds of the old joke: Q. "How do you eat an elephant?" A. "One bite at a time". You keep plugging away and plugging away at what seems like an impossible mound of work and then at some point you realize you can see the finish line. Once that happens you get a lot more motivated to work more quickly. While I gather Jimm is an extreme perfectionist, I'm sure that at some point he will get to where he can smell the finish line and like a great jockey, sort of goes to the whip to get it done.

One thing I am absolutely certain of: when Act IV is released it will be the absolute best that Jimm and company can make it.

10. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

That you can bank on. The Starship Exeter crew has set an incredibly high bar for themselves, and so far they have delivered in spades. In royal flushes, even!

11. CaptainKen

Great new avatar, Professor! But here's the thing, a hand may look like a Royal Flush but until you get that final card you can't know for sure. Too many gamblers have been sure of that final card. Like you I have the best of hopes for that final act of TTI; I know they've put a TON of work into it. But it's not a Royal Flush until we see that Ace of Spades!

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I've seen various edits of Exeter over the years, and I can tell you, even minus finished VFX, Act 4 is better than Act 3. :)

13. RobertMfromLI

RobertMfromLI Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well folks, while I for one am looking forward to the rest of this episode, I am also very content to wait until the fine folks at Exeter feel it is ready for release.

Fact is, they only get one chance to release it the way that they want, and jumping the gun and releasing it before they are comfortable with it's state would ruin that chance. If it's next week or next year... whatever... it just has to be what they wanted to release, complete to a level they are happy with, in whatever timeframe that takes.

Anxiously, but very patiently awaiting the final part...

Robert

14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Well said, Robert.

15. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I've waited this long, I can wait longer. While there are many fine fan productions out there, this is "mine" for lack of a better term. To clarify, this one captures what I as a fan want to see.....a classic Trek show that takes place on a different Constitution Class ship that feels like it was a spin-off around season 3 of ST. Stylisitically, it captures that feel better than ANYONE else in the game.

And for what it's worth to all involved with Exeter.....For my three nephews, Exeter was their first introduction to the world of Star Trek. And for awhile, before they became Star Wars junkies thanks to Clone Wars, anytime I'd show up, they'd beg to see "the coolest spaceship...EVER" (They don't know that there are different ships, and describing the Enterprise thusly was the way I got them to watch some VFX).

To my surprise, they actually preffered the "pink lizard man" to the "green lizard man".
    And they wanted to watch him over and over and over and over LOL! They preferred Exeter to the original show. Once the last act is out, I'll revisit it with them. Hopefully by then this Star Wars thing'll have died down.

Glad you guys are making quality job 1.

16. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

AS long as I get my DVD and my name is in the end credits, they can take as long as they need. I'll wait forever if I have to. :)

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, we've completed the end credits sequence. :)

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I saw that, what, in July? :)

19. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL. Cool! But only if my name is on it.

Sean Koury. Should be under Intercom Chatter or something like that. :)

20. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell, I could've done the end titles.

It's the stuff before the end titles that we're concerned about.