Worst examples of jobbing?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, given that Lobo only exists to serve as a grotesquely exaggerated parody of Wolverine and similar characters, I can't blame them for letting Logan get some payback. I mean, Lobo is a joke rather than a realistic character, or at least that was the original intent, so I'd expect Rule of Funny to outweigh realistic considerations of relative power levels.

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y8WqbrhAs4[/yt]

3. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For all his powers it seems Superman is a class-A jobber. He has his beloved father's Kryptonian tech at his disposal, has high situated friends in the superhero and alien communities, can scan the Earth from one side of the surface to another. Yet it never occurs to him to search and clean up every last molecule of kryptonite from Earth? :wtf:

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He won by dropping a whale on Namor. And it wasn't even a big whale!

5. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

No kidding... This was even worse in the Silver Age when he had all the powers of a physical god and then some....

6. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

It's certainly a legitimate POV to have, the Wolverine/Lobo fight, however, is considered an egregious example of this for a couple of reasons for the purposes of this thread.

1) It was a write-in vote. As has been commented on by a couple of others, there are a few other ridiculous examples put up regarding some of the other match ups in that particular series (Aquaman/Namor being one such. Superman/Hulk was another I see debated to this day). Some of the fights were so poorly choreographed that it's obvious even the writers didn't know how to deal with them... which leads to ...

2) The Lobo/Wolverine fight is reviled even more for the fact that the writers didn't even TRY to justify it. For those who haven't read this series, the entire fight goes like this...

-Lobo sitting in space bar, Wolvie walks in. Both exchange pleasantries
    -The two fall behind a bar, where they fight OFF PANEL
    -Wolverine gets up, spits a one liner and walks out.

Thats. It.

When the writers don't even bother to justify it with so much a handwave, you know it was a bad call.

7. MLJames

MLJames Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What makes the fight even more ludicrous was that this was during the period after Magneto had stripped the adamantium out of Wolvie's body. Lobo should have turned him into a greasy spot on the floor in nothing flat. (I had almost as many qualms with Storm beating Wonder Woman.)

8. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

As I recall, Wolverine didn't say anything, just took a puff of his cigar. But otherwise, yeah, that was it. I remember voting for Wolverine in that, mainly because I found Lobo so damn obnoxious that I didn't really care about story logic there. :lol:

Aquaman I can see potentially beating Namor. Namor is most likely stronger, but I think Aquaman's greater intelligence and control of sea life would help give him the edge.

Didn't Storm also beat Wonder Woman in that series? That seems a bit unbeliveable to me.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that's lame.

I'd have given them credit for just mind-controlling him in a two-panel fight.

Fair enough.

I could see that. If Wonder Woman ever actually got her hands on her, Storm would be dead. But Storm could probably kill you without you even knowing you were under attack.

I guess it really depends on how resistant WW is to lightning. I've never been entirely clear on her level of invulnerability. On one hand, she isn't bulletproof, at least not thoroughly. On the other, she can take a punch from Superman (badly, true, but she can stand up afterward). Frankly, these two facts don't really mesh.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was a "Superman/Batman" story arc a couple years ago that dealt with the two characters trying to rid Earth of Kryptonite. It's been done before, trouble is writers keep bringing back the mineral because everyone knows it is harmful to Superman. As long a Kryptonite remains an easy writing tool to use for a writer's plot it will always exist no matter what happens.

Also regarding Superman's Krypontian tech...I'm not sure what StarTrek1701 is referring to. Clark barely uses any of the Fortress technology to aid him in his crime fighting. If anything that tech has been provided to the JLA for their various headquarters.

Regarding Lobo/Wolverine...I'm late to the discussion again...is this to do with the DC/Marvel crossover? If it is then blame the fans for how all of those fights turned out because they had a vote. Guess what? The popular characters won...so those fight results were what we got. Unless you're not talking about the crossover...if that is the case never mind me :)

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was the crossover where fans voted for it. This was mentioned a few posts ago. You're lucky Admiral Young didn't see your post, he hates it when people ask questions that have already been answered in the thread. :p ;)

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

:) Touche my friend. Yeah I know I should have gone back and looked :) LOL.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Talking of wolverine, something has always bugged me about the character - his metal laced frame. Think about punching a piece of steel as hard as you can, you'd break your hand, yet they often show normal human characters slugging it out with him with no ill-effects. Equally, Wolverine pushing someone in the face would be the same as getting hit with a brass-knuckle.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good question, but this is one that DC finally addressed, or attempted to in Superman/Batman: The Search for Kryptonite.

http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Batman-Kryptonite-Michael-Green/dp/1401219330

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I thought the heroes' powers grew as the story progressed? Something they couldn't do as novices would be relatively easy when they were older.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Or you know that they were treating it as a joke. Lobo is a parody character to begin with, one without a trace of plausibility, and the very idea of characters from two separate fictional franchises interacting is merely an "imaginary story" sort of thing anyway. I'd imagine that handling it that way was deliberately poking fun at the very absurdity of "If character A fought character B" stories and the artificiality of the situation. It sounds like a rather clever way of deflating the expectations of those fans who take things like this too seriously.

I mean, really, when are these "crossover fights" ever handled in a "realistic" way? They're always determined based on fan preference, in that they usually come out to a draw so that fans of neither character will be offended. They're always contrived and artificial, a fairly superficial way of indulging a fannish wish-fulfillment impulse, and rarely carry any real weight. So the whole concept strikes me as being ripe for mockery, and having the characters fight off-panel with the victory not being justified is simply a comedic way of pointing out how arbitrary and silly the whole thing is to begin with. If fans were upset by it, it seems to me they failed to get the joke.

17. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Same for Superman. Supes holds back because he is moral and doesn't want to accidentally kill someone by looking at them funny.

18. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He also doesn't seem to be appreciably heavier than any average joe, even though he probably ought to weigh about 400 pounds.

Unless "adamantium" is "adamantine," and his bones are just diamond nanorod or something.

Meh, this is the same guy who can be defeated by red light. (Luckily Superman never saves people from fires OH WAIT.) Superman's greatest vulnerability is bad writing.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. More so in this case, since DC and Marvel had set up a poll (because that worked so well for Jason Todd [rolls eyes]) and let fans vote on who would win certain of the fights in the series, including this one.

Wolverine beating Lobo and Storm defeating WW were the two that made no sense whatsoever and simply reflected which characters are more popular with the fans (the same thing could arguably also be said about the Batman/Cap fight, but they're so closely matched that having Bats win [and in part by luck], wasn't particularly offensive).

20. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

There are some extremely strong, low density metals, titanium for example. I doubt adamantium has the same density as steel.

I also don't know what comics you're reading, but Wolverine makes mince-meat out of "normal" humans. It is like they're getting punched in the face by a set of brass knuckles, or hitting a steel door. Also, there is some flesh and muscle between the metal and skin, so punching him in the gut for example isn't going to result in a broken hand. And from the movies, the very first time we see Wolverine he's fighting in a cage, and a guy hits him and you can hear the "ping" and Logan just kind of shrugs and proceeds to devastate him with two blows.