If you had to kill off a character?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by issreliant, Mar 16, 2010.

1. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

TOS - Chekov - They brought him on to be a pretty face. It did not work for me.

TNG - Riker irritated me from episode one. Seeing him in the boy-toy costume actually made me sick. Frakes played the "arrogant" first officer a bit too well.

DS9 - Rom. Has to be the worst acting of any recurring character. At least Nelix was played with some talent. I'll take irritating character over bad acting any day. When you put them together it spells R.O.M.

VOY - Harry Kim - Word is they started to drop him until a magazine put him on the "Beautiful people" list. Then they dropped Kess instead.

ENT - Reed. A suspicious death after he turned his back on section 31 could have been interesting.

2. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

TOS - Sulu (never liked him)
    TNG - Troi (hate her)
    DS9 - Jadzia (yes, I know they did, I would have done it eariler)
    VOY - Neelix (in Caretaker)
    ENT - Reed (I actually like this character, but his death would have been dramatic and moving.)

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    If we had to see some dead best friend angst, I'd prefer to see Chief O'Brien mourning over Dr. Bashir, not the other way around.

Presumably, if someone doesn't like the character, than he doesn't think that their potential for storylines & development was worthwhile. Furthermore, this is Star Trek we're talking about. Their follow-through is generally so poor, killing off a major, popular character would be counterproductive because all of the emotional reprecussions surrounding their death would be forgotten after a couple episodes. Also, why should we want to kill off the likable characters that are the ones that keep us watching week after week? No, in the case of Star Trek, major character death is mostly only useful for thinning out the chaff or explaining an actor departure.

4. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TOS: Scotty. His death would throw the main triumvirate for a loop.

TNG: Beverly Crusher. Not because I hate her (can't stand Pulaski, but she wasn't on for more than the 2nd season anyway), but because losing both parents would have meant some rapid growing up for Wesley. I suspect that losing her husband made Beverly so insufferably over-protective of Wesley. Watching her treat a 14 year old like he was about 7 gave me the creeps.

DS9: I'll be boring and say Captain Sisko. It would've been interesting to see Kira in charge of the station for longer periods of time. As someone said earlier, Sisko's death need not have been permanent, the prophets could always bring him back.

VOY: Tom Paris. He bores me with his captain Proton and fancy vehicle stunts. Besides, provided his death occurred after the start of his relationship with B'Elanna, it could lead to some pretty dramatic stuff.

ENT: Hate to say it, but I think the death of Reed would lead to the most dramatic consequences, particularly if he was killed by Section 31 after refusing to work for them anymore. I don't want him to die, though, he's my favorite character!

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

TOS: Rand (died shortly after confessing her love to Kirk)

TNG: Picard (at the start of "Best of Both Worlds, part II")

DS9: Jadzia Dax (oops, already done)

VOY: Neelix (heroic sacrifice to save the Voyager crew; a shuttlecraft renamed in his honor)

ENT: T'Pol (heroic sacrifice inspires other Vulcans to join Starfleet)

6. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could just about get behind killing Miles off if it was going to be in the last few episodes, not before though, since I think he'd be too big a loss to the show. However, if I had to kill off one I'd probably pick Bashir, likewise in the last few episodes. Not that I don't like him, but I could see the Section 31 storyline going that way and I'm pretty sure Miles would be able to give him a memorable send-off.

7. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Someone said something about Dukat killing Kira...first of all, that would suck, and second, I don't think it's possible. :) Kira's way tougher than Dukat, hands down. But it would have actually been very poignant if it happened. Just another reason for Dukat to die horribly. Personally, I think it would be far more fitting for Kira to kill Dukat in the finale. After Dukat killed Damar for killing Ziyal, I don't understand Dukat letting that go. It doesn't seem to fit with his personality, he loved Ziyal more than anything.

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, we agree here... that does not happen often:rommie:.

On the first part, I thought I was the only one who believed Emo-Spock (perhaps your Angst-Spock is a better term) was one of the worst parts of the new movie.

On the second part, since it is much like real life, it is to be expected.:guffaw:

9. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not following you on the "not possible" part :cardie: or Kira being way tougher (in what way? Psychologically? Probably, at least post-Sacrifice of Angels, but what does that matter when someone has an opportunity to kill you? Physically? Eh, I really don't think so. As far as skills go? You know that Dukat is a highly trained Cardassian soldier with decades of experience?) but I agree on the other two points: that it would be a really lame plot-wise. What purpose would that serve? To show that Dukat is a bad man? Well, duh. Kira killing Dukat, OTOH, could be really good if done well, and would have been certainly preferable to the ending he got. And, I definitely didn't buy Dukat forgiving Damar for the murder of Ziyal (or blaming Sisko, who had absolutely nothing to do with Ziyal), that just didn't make sense.

I'm afraid we don't agree as much as you think :lol: I had no problems with Angst-Spock in the movie, I just really don't think he needs any more angst...I mean, geez, they blew up his planet, killed his mother and the vast majority of his people, and now someone wants to kill his girlfriend, too? Can you say overkill (no pun intended)? :vulcan:

Yeah, exactly.

10. TiberiusMaximus

I have to admit I was being a bit facetious. Dukat could very well kill Kira with the right opportunity. In my personal opinion, she would win in a fair fight but it obviously could go either way. I'll resist the temptation to turn this into a DS9 discussion and hijack the thread...:) and just say I agree with your other points.

11. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

Keiko for sure.

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Which Chakotay would unceremoniously crash the following week.

13. TiberiusMaximus

:rommie::guffaw::lol:

14. Irishfox

Irishfox Ensign Newbie

None! I like all of them. :)

15. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, here's an idea...IF someone wanted to make DS9 not just dark, but nuBsG dark, kill Odo as a penalty for his treason to the resistance during the second Cardassian Occupation.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Sad, but true.
    :sigh: