Your definition of a real 'Trekkie'?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by explodingmuffin, May 20, 2009.

1. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

Trek fans have enjoyed watching TOS and TNG, not too bothered if they skipped a week
    Trekkies have religiously watched all series and continues to do so with re-runs
    Trekkers are fluent in Klingon, both dialects...

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Close. It's cooked-in-a-bamboo-steamer, actually.

:D

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'll try to address some of your points, explodingmuffin.

Well, that's actually a good thing. Being bullied for liking a TV show is pretty stupid. I never got teased for liking Trek, either, because there isn't as much of a stigma attached to it in my country.

I'd like to believe that this is true, but I don't think it is. All sorts of different people are fans of Star Trek. They're not better or worse than the rest of the world.

Those seem to be rather personal reasons I can't really comment on. If you don't like those people, ignore them. You're not obliged to like someone just because he also likes Star Trek.

4. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I wouldn't say it's wrong of you to feel that way. Your feelings are your own. Maybe telling your feelings to other trerkkies/trekkers - many who feel the same way you do - will help sort it out.

5. JTK2099

JTK2099 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The big difference I see between Trekkies and most nuTrek fans is that when Star Trek ceases to be trendy and "in", Trekkies will still be fans. Most nuTrek fans will have moved on to the next big thing.

6. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not being especially happy that writers had to create an alternate Star Trek universe, in order to tell a Spock/Kirk origin story? Did the alledged prequel feel like a contrived, ends justifies the means, substitute way to get the Original Crew back together fast, while appealing to that sexy young demographic desired by the studio, but which you never ever felt part of, even at that age?

Yep, you're a old school Trekkie for sure... (but one still able to laugh at himself).

;)

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  7. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I a fan, or a Trekkie?

Good question! Well this difficult question inspired me to write a little quiz to help people find out.

The Trekkie Temperament Sorter:

8. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Thats really not that different from people who watched any one (or more) of the series when they aired (or films when released) and never watched them since.

It's just on a big screen with more hype.

Some will join the fad, some will become full on fans, some already are and a few are batshit crazy. Nothing changes ;)

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Good idea.

Well, that settles that, I guess. Can I have the neuropressure session with nuSpock?

10. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ He doesn't arrive until Tuesday :lol:

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

God knows, anyone who's willing to call themselves a "trekkie" is welcome to the club (such as it is)...

12. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I decided a long time ago that the difference between a "Trekkie" and a Star Trek fan is this: a Trekkie allows Star Trek to "leak out" into his/her real life, blurring the line between fact and fantasy. If you watch the show, buy the DVDs or the occasional book or toy, you're a fan; if you wear a Starfleet uniform to work, speak Klingon regularly, or flash the Vulcan salute to stangers, you're probably a Trekkie.

13. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I consider myself a trekkie, but I do not own a uniform, attend cons or speak Klingon.

That said, I DID once make a 2hr detour to visit Vulcan, Alberta...

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now we understand why it's other namesake got turned down, when they asked if they could host the premiere!

I wonder if a black hole has subsequently removed it from any map. :lol:

15. Tentacle

Tentacle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know how you feel, I've been thinking about this question ever since I saw the new movie.

It annoys me that the bullies that tormented me for being nerdy and liked star trek in my youth are now all fans of trek.

I do believe its those loyal fans that endured the ridicules, kept trek alive long enough to have this "cooler" new version made for the masses. And now star trek is cool, those old loyal fans are being ridiculed again for being too nerdy and trying to hold on to the old school trek.

For those new fans that like the movie and now call themself fans, this is only a pass fad for them. Most of them will not stay.

I believe for those that claim to be hardcore fans, "trekkies" as they call themselfs. They certainly do know their cannon and all that. But they never did buy into the grander ideals of trek. That is why it is so easy for them to like this new movie. Those fans in my opinion liked trek for all the cosmetic reasons, and not the heart and soul of it.

16. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

The fact that they don't even have a movie theater was probably more an issue in this case! :lol:

I did see an interview of Leonard Nimoy on Space about the movie and this came up. He himself made some calls to arrange for about 200 resident of Vulcan to go see the premiere in Calgary.

Just shows how nice he is. And he's not even Canadian unlike that other trek guy... :scream: Just kidding obviously but how Shatner ever got a university pavillon named in his honor is beyond my understanding.

17. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

Thank God this didn't turn into a retarded Trekkie Vs Trekker debate:

A Trekkie to me, is a fan of the show, a big fan, not a casual one. That of course, doesn't mean that every Trekkie is such a big fan that they go to Trek conventions, dress up in uniforms etc. Like previously mentioned, there are degrees. Trekker doesn't exist in my eyes, it's just something that was made up because the name Trekkies had been ridiculed too much. Pussies.

18. Tentacle

well since the début of this movie all trekkies can come out f the closet now.

Because this movie is so cool, there is no longer a need to be ridiculed anymore.
    Lets all jump for joy...

oh wait not unless you cant stomach the dumbness of this movie then you are back into being an social outcast once again...
    So from now on I'll call these outcasts trekkies as how a social outcast should be called.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I'm a trekkie and I like the movie so we can't call them that.

I'll call them something else. ;)

20. Tentacle

You shall not take the stigma away from the word.