Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What an utterly fantastic quote.

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I've been watching B5, I've watched the first five episodes and it really hasn't grabbed me. They've all been ok, nothing great. Just....ok. Does it get any better? I loved DS9, and I love BSG, TNG when I was a kid but I'm not a big sci-fi fan and this seems huge on sci-fi.

3. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

let me put it to you this way: the last B5 thread in this DS9 forum had something like 1095 comments before it was finally closed. that's 1095 comments. in a DS9 forum (DS9 being B5's biggest competition).

so unless you have absolutely no confidence in the taste of your fellow DS9 fans, you can safely continue to watch, secure in the knowledge that once you get past the first season, and into the second, you'll forget why you ever questioned whether the show was worth watching.

and once you get into the third season, well, you'll just have to get there to understand the ecstasy :D

may the force be with you!

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

DS9 can be seen as "competiton" I suppose, because of the similarity. However, I tend to view it more as a companion piece, mostly because of those same similarities. Consider them to be quarterbacks for two different football teams. THey each have their own philosophy, uniforms, etc.... but in the end their jobs are much alike. Consequently, they have a common frame of reference making for good discussions.

And chalk me up as another who liked the "root beer / scotch" quote. :thumbsup:

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

It's difficult to describe just how little you understand of B5's scope at this point. Suffice it to say, you're still in the portion of the story establishing Setting. The Rising Action portion hasn't even begun yet.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

On first viewing, most of season one isn't going to grab you. However, as you move on with the series, you'll realize how important *most* of it was. If you're not onboard by the end of season two, though, (which, I realize is a long ways away) then I'd bail. But it's really a series that took me a long time to appreciate, and I think it is the same for a lot of others, too. However, after viewing the entire thing (twice now), it really is a fantastic series. It's not without it's quirks and faults, but it's a fantastic series nonetheless.

7. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I always tell people that the series rewards patience and close attention. If you simply accept some of the SF aspects like hyperspace and PPGs as just being methods of transport and another form of gun, you'll find that the majority of the show is very character driven. The characters will grow and change and there's no 'reset button' to B5.

You're welcome to post here with youre impressions and questions, though. We enjoy that and we'll try to avoid spoilers when we answer.

Jan

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Alright, so, I'm sittin' here, right now, watchin' 'A Voice in the Wilderness, Part One', and I started laughin' so hard, I almost had tears.

Damned in Londo singin' & rantin' about "The Hokey Pokey" ain't the funniest thing I've seen in a sci fi television series in awhile!

"It doesn't mean anything! I have been studying it for seven days! I had the computer analyze it! I swear to you, it does not mean a THING!"

:lol: :guffaw: :lol:

9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I'll stick with it. I didn't watch DS9 for years because I was put off by a lot of episodes in Season 1 and 2.

10. Neroon

No matter what, be sure to stop by and offer your honest opinions or ask any questions you might have. This forum has been an excellent place for those topics. There are a few websites that might be of some help to you during your B5 journey as well. My personal favorite is: The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

So, The Lost Tales came out almost a whole month ago, and we still don't have any word on sales, future installments, anything. What's the story with that? Am I just an impatient newbie whose become to used to having new Babylon 5 ahead of me?

12. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

You do not understand, but you will.

13. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Welcome to the time-honored tradition of The Wait For Word. WB always keeps us on tenterhooks for as long as possible before allowing news of renewal (or in this case, more Lost Tales) to come out. This time there aren't even any deadlines for pick-up the way there used to be for the series.

The true B5 fan accepts this as part of the price of fandom and has even turned it into a mark of pride. You'll oft hear the First Ones begin a tale with "I remember, back when we were waiting for the series to be greenlit..." or "Back in the olden days, when we used to have to wait weeks, even months for new episodes...". Yes, you've had it easy up to now, always having new B5 within reach. Now comes the test.

Just know that you're not alone. The other fans are all waiting with you. It's simply something we have to endure as the few...the proud...the Babylon 5 Fans!

(can't you just hear the stirring music coming up in the background? ;) )

Jan

14. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

15. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Well, as you know, you are most certainly NOT alone in that sentiment. Londo is still my favorite character in all of scifi, and will likely always be so. We went through the range of emotions when it came to Londo - we loved him, we despised him, we rooted him on during his redemption...and in the end we felt sorry for him.

It doesn't get any better than that, when it comes to a character's journey.

I think the main reason I don't care that much about going to scifi cons these days is because I have already met the two most important actors in my scifi-related world - Peter Jurasik and Avery Brooks.

Everything after that is anticlimactic. :lol:

I've met Shatner, I've met Patrick Stewart. But nothing compared with meeting Avery Brooks and Peter Jurasik. :lol:

16. Neroon

I met Peter at Dragon Cona couple of years ago, and we had the most delightful conversation about the cast phot IO'd had him sign. It's the one of them all lfipping the bird at the camera. He is a trip and so relaxed and enjoyable to visit with.

17. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

To answer a couple questions...

'fraid not. We see plenty of Psi Corps guys throughout the series, but Combs doesn't return.

You'll find out in time. ;)

18. PKTrekGirl

Neroon, I was very fortunate, because I met him at a mainly Trek convention where Leonard Nimoy was the main event. After the discussions that day, everyone rushed over to get on line for Leonard Nimoy, while I went straight to Peter Jurasik. :lol:

As a result, I ended up getting to talk to him for several minutes before anyone else showed up. It was MARVELOUS!

He was most kind, and made a very nice inscription on the photo I had brought for him to sign. He was also THRILLED that Londo is my favorite scifi character - I think he was ready to adopt me, he was so happy to hear that! :lol:

One of the most enjoyable conversations I've ever had with a scifi actor. :)

19. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Bummer. I kinda liked seein' Combs in a human role, and he's only the second or third "nice" Psi Corps agent seen.

Mean!

:p

One thing I forgot to mention in my LiveJournal is that I really like how the episode promos are included in the first season set. Not many shows do that, nice to see Babylon 5 did.

20. PKTrekGirl

^ They did it for the entire series. :)