Vegetarians - you will ove this child

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I don't mind. I could do a whole lot worse. :ouch:
    Still, I agree. I think it's funny that my family is still trying to figure out what I eat, even when I tell them, "if it isn't meat, I can probably eat it."

Of course, then I get questions asking whether I can eat turkey, chicken, fish (I consider fish to be meat), shrimp, and so on. I've been asked if I consider bacon to be meat. Bless their hearts they try, but I don't really see what's so difficult about "no meat."

2. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

So that means your sis isn't terribly offended by the bracelet I gave you then? At least not openly so.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And have been proven to scream and feel their own equivalent of pain, grown in large amounts just for us to kill, cut up and eat.

But because we don't see eyes, expressions or sounds of pain, blood or other similar traits we can empathise with as mammals, we ignore it even more.

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I'm wearing it right now!

5. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Good to hear! Still fits? My mom said they apparently stretch a bit. And then she gave me an intricate description of how to fix it in case the strap breaks :lol: Oh and I didn't remember it at the time, but the metal on it is not silver but tin, since tin was a metal much more commonly used by the Same peop- oh dear I've hijacked the thread, haven't I?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  6. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

Eating a salad because you enjoy it is killing plants for pleasure then.

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I know that very strict Jains won't eat any any food which reaults in killing an entire plant so most root vegetables are out for them.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nope - that's for survival. Eating vegetables is hardly a pleasure...

Given a choice of food source I'll go with the lower end of the developmental scale. I'm unsure how 'aware' molluscs are. Applying that criteria to vegetables doesn't give me much to worry about.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Youtube account deleted.

I wonder if the kid got eviscerated in the comments.

10. thestrangequark

And that's exactly what I meant about the moral lines being arbitrary.

And vegetables are delicious! :p

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It can be. I loves me some fresh sweet corn! :drool:

12. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Agreed. There are few things as awesome as freshly boiled corn on the cob :drool:

13. thestrangequark

^Boiled? Corn should be cooked in the fire pit!

14. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Sad to say, as Viking as I am, not many fire pits around here. Have done grilled corn and that's been delicious, so having them made in a firepit sounds awesome!

15. thestrangequark

^It is indeed the best. Just roll them in olive oil or butter, a bit of salt and pepper, wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil, and toss it right into the fire.

16. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Well great, now I just ate, and already I'm hungry :lol: Will have to try that at some point. We'll probably be burning something during this fall. How long should they cook for?

17. thestrangequark

^40 minutes, give or take, depending on the heat of the fire.

18. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Nice, will have try it is. Usually when we burn stuff like branches and the such we make some kind of food in the fire, but usually it's just hot dogs. This will be a bit more fun. And much more delicious! :)

19. Comet

Comet Ensign Newbie

My dad bought a big property for my mom and my brothers and sisters and me, far away from the main part of Mexico City, many years ago, when I was 9. We had no markets and only a few grocery stores. My mom purchased live chickens from a nearby farm and killed them in the house. I was my mom's helper and I killed chickens for her to feed the rest of the family. My dad used to bring big red snapper giant fish with scales, so I learned how to clean the fish, take the heads off, gut them, clean the scales and cut them into pieces. I am an expert with the big knifes in my kitchen.

During biology class in high school my classmates did not want to put the animals to sleep for vivisection, so I chloroformed them, ducks, rabbits and frogs.

When I moved to the USA, I became addicted to spicy chicken wings and beer. I thought that was the coolest thing to eat.

I became vegetarian for a health reasons. My doctor played football with the Cardinals and he recommend me to diet because I was obese and my cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure were high. I took a nutrition class at college, my teaches was an older lady who was vegetarian, so one day I went to Subway and I ordered a chicken sandwich, got food poisoning and felt like I was going to die. So since that day I became a vegetarian, and now I am in excellent health.

Vegetarianism is wonderful, I became more creative for new dishes and more conscientious of the health of my family. I eat dairy products, but not the meat. I love cheese. I like fish, especially salmon, I created different dishes with a variety of vegetables and grains and I like fruit.

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

That's been my experience, too.

It sure can be! The salad I just finished was soooo good.