50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That was even more true of the old series. If anything, there have been more "Everybody lives!" outcomes in the Moffat era than there ever were at any previous time in the show's history.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Moffat episodes do tend to not feature any characters getting killed. In his episodes under RTD, the only deaths to occur were historical facts (The Girl in the Fireplace) and old age (Blink). Okay, so the Library story did feature quite a few characters getting killed, but they kind of live on as a digital essence within the Library computer, and one of them has become a recurring character anyway.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Off the top of my head...

Several people die in The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone

Multiple people die in A Good Man Goes to War (even accepting that Strax comes back and Dorimum is still with us that still leaves Lorna Bucket amongst others)

Multiple workers are massacred at the start of The Snowmen (and one aspect of Clara)

Multiple people are killed in The Bells of St John as well, given how many people probably didn't have bodies to go back to.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

They could use the "K9 is doing something in the TARDIS" excuse (ala: SJA) and have him appear once in a while.

V - Sorry, I missed a page when posting this. I'm just thinking about a very occasional appearance.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh god, not K9. I never did like him much. First the Ponds, then the Silurian/Sontaran/Jenny trio, now K9 again? A trilogy of unbearable assistants? What a liberty. :P

6. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That's a picture. Not an explanation.

An explanation would be something like, "we didn't have any hi resolution pictures or great poses of them in character, so, we decided to do this instead."

OR

"We wanted to mix it up."

OR

"We hate the fans of the 6th and 7th Doctors so we did it on purpose. We're trolling you all."

Those would be explanations.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think what's he's trying to say is that instead of digitally inserting Colin Baker into the shot the way they digitally inserted McGann, Eccleston, and Davison in that sequence, they had a dummy dressed in Colin Baker's costume, eliminating the need for digital trickery with at least one of the Doctors.

9. Professor Zoom

Sure. But that's not an explanation for the CHOICE to use a dummy. That's what they did. Why did they choose that? That would be interesting. Two doctors didn't have their faces revealed. For some reason. (And no, I don't expect there to be a conspiracy against them...)

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. Maybe it was the coat. Maybe the coat would be difficult and time-consuming to animate in CG so using a dummy was a simple solution to the problem.

11. Professor Zoom

But nothing is really animated. Everything is frozen in space (and time...;) ) I would imagine once it is scanned in it would be easy to rotate. And the face might be harder than the coat.

And then, what would the McCoy explanation be?

12. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Meanwhile, has anyone else noticed that Tom Baker seems to be missing a leg?

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I hadn't noticed, but looking at it again, I would say the idea is he's kicking his leg back as he's falling. They maintain the consistency from both the below and above views.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's a reference to his legless pirate captain Redbeard Rum in Blackadder II! ;)

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So it will be in 3D on the big screen then?

17. Bob The Skutter

Yep, as far as I know.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Very cool. I'm going to be in London that weekend. I wonder if there's some way to pre-order a ticket (the above link is blocked at work so I can't look at it right now).

19. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Ooh, I will get to see it in a cinema in Dublin. Excellent!

20. Bob The Skutter

Yep, you'll have to book from the cinema's own website I believe. so Odeon, Vue or Cineworld. Not sure tickets are on sale yet though.