50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

75 minutes? That's not "feature length"! :)

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

75 minutes isn't far off, I can think of plenty of films that hover around the 80 minute mark, and Moffat wasn't lying when he said it'd be longer than 60 minutes. I figured around 75 would be what we'd get and I'm happy with that. Just hope it's a good episode!

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

75 minutes (or rather a 75-minute time slot, with a length somewhere between 65 and 75) was pretty much inevitable.

That is a lot of secondary programming, enough to justify Moffat's "take over television" soundbite. It's not a patch on actually airing a full series, or making more than two episodes in the anniversary year, but it's something.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Movies that run 75 minutes include Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Battleship Potemkin, and The Ox-Bow Incident. Frankenstein and The Invisible Man are 71 minutes. The Nightmare Before Christmas is 76 minutes. Primer is 77 minutes. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and The Triplets of Belleville are 78 minutes. Hitchcock's Rope, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and Death Race 2000 are 80 minutes. Army of Darkness, Toy Story, and Run Lola Run are 81 minutes. Many classic Disney movies are around 75 minutes give or take.

So 75 minutes is feature length in the sense that 50,000 words is novel length -- it's toward the low end of the spectrum, but it definitely qualifies.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to start looking short films up! Add in Rec at 78 minutes and Before Sunset at 80 :lol:

I wonder if there is an actual cut off? Presumably anything under 70 minutes maybe?

Actually according to Wikipedia:

40 minutes seems a bit on the low side however, and that would mean every modern episode of Who has been feature length!

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Technically qualifies but it's dissappointing. The original series managed to have a 90 minute 20th Anniversary special.

I've enjoyed the content of the recent series, but the management/production aspects not so much.

Hopefully it's an enjoyable story. If it is, probably not such a big deal.

Mr Awe

8. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

75 minutes of 10th, 11th and HurtDoctor, I am excited.

I wonder how long the Christmas episode/Matt's final episode will be.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

90 minutes for 5 Doctors vs 75 minutes for 2 Doctors?

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed today. I was only picking on Moffat's "feature length" and "quite long" comments. :)

It was never going to be any longer than 75 minutes; the filming block simply wasn't long enough to accommodate any more than that.

11. StCoop

I wonder if the title's allusion to 'Day Of The Daleks' is deliberate?

Given Rose's Max Max-ish outfit, it looks like there might be some sort of alternate timeline in play in the story.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm getting a 404 Page Not Found on the original link - did the BBC put it up by mistake and pull it?

13. Christopher

The Marx Brothers' Duck Soup is 68 minutes.

14. StCoop

Looks like it.

Let's face it, it wouldn't be a Doctor Who news story without some sort of cock-up attached to it.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I still think there are ways you could stretch it out, expanding effects shots and whatnot, but you'd be talking a matter of minutes only.

16. StCoop

Films prior to the 1940's were a lot shorter than they are today.

17. Christopher

True. When TCM showed Melies' 1902 A Trip to the Moon last week, the host mentioned that the 14-minute film would've been seen as feature-length at the time.

18. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

And of course features from the first half of the century were typically accompanied by newsreels, cartoons, and/short films to fill out the bill. (Casablanca, for example, had a five-minute newsreel, a twenty-minute short, and three cartoons of about eight minutes each, despite being 102 minutes itself.) I do wonder if there'll be anything, Who-related or not, to fill out the 3D cinema showings of the special.

19. StCoop

20. StCoop

One thing that was notably absent from the (now vanished) story was any mention of the originally planned cinema release.

In fact, I don't think it's ever been mentioned again since the original story.