50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 10, 2013.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

If the Hurt Doctor ended the Time War only people who were already going to bitch will do so. Otherwise, so long as the episode is good, no one else will care.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I understand people still being disappointed at the lack of any classic Doctors, but for me the chance to not only watch Smith and Tennant interact in an episode, but to discover an entirely NEW Doctor (even a "dark" one), is a pretty damn exciting one.

That would be the highlight of the year even without it being the 50th anniversary.

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Oh, definitely. I'm really looking forward to that. Plus I want to see Rose and Clara interact. Seeing some classic Doctors would've tempered the disappointment over Eccleston not returning, but I'm interested in seeing how John Hurt shakes out. I like John Hurt. I....just wish we had McGann or Tom Baker or McCoy too.

4. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Looking at the one with Smith hanging from the TARDIS, I wonder if HurtDoctor steals the TARDIS at one point. And 11 is hanging on for dear life.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not likely. Location footage from when that scene was filmed showed
    Clara in the TARDIS doorway and UNIT soldiers on the ground watching.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That doesn't preclude who is piloting the TARDIS.

8. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Okay, so all the Docs end up in the current TARDIS from the pictures. Obviously that's probably because they don't have the set for 10's TARDIS any longer, but I wonder what the story's reasons for it will be? Another "time crash" scenario? Do 10 and Rose pop out of the timestream with Hurt or something?

Starting to get excited. Still annoyed at the lack of a trailer...but starting to get excited.:)

9. Smoked Salmon

Smoked Salmon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10's is part of the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff and was used for part of the filming. It's only missing some wall and celing so filimg at certain camera angels would be no problem. One of the new photos shows Tennant at the controls and is shot in the direction of the wall and doors that remained as part of the exhibition (I saw it when it was in London).

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Much larger versions can be found here.

And that's why I don't grab images from the official site anymore. The images they post are almost always greatly reduced in size.

Anyway, this blog is a really good source for large versions of DW promotional images (I linked to another source above for these particular pics though because the images were of better quality there). He posts pretty much every official promotional image that comes out. It's also a decent source for Who news.

11. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never encountered any production team as prone to insane hyperbole as New Who's showrunners. Does he expect fans to even believe it any more?

Past suppposed game-changers have included The Doctor's Daughter and The Wedding of River Song.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That sounds like the return of the Time Lords to me. Of course, I'm invariably wrong.

14. Emperor-Tiberius

I doubt the return of the Time Lords would change the show, so much as return it to its status quo.

That said, I don't exactly exclude that possibility.

15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Moffat trots out similar quotes on a regular basis. "The Impossible Astronaut" two-parter was supposed to be game-changing. "A Good Man Goes to War" was supposed to be game-changing. "The Wedding of River Song" was supposed to be game-changing. To the fan audience, steeped in genre television and its conventions, they're not especially game-changing.

But to the Not-We audience that the series is pitched at, those episodes are game-changing. The Doctor is killed, that's a big deal. Amy and Rory's daughter is River Song, that's a big deal. The Doctor wipes himself out of history, that's a big deal.

When Moffat talks "game-changing," he's not talking to us. He's talking to the audience that tunes in a few times a year and on Christmas Day. And for that audience, "The Day of the Doctor" will be a game-changing experience, whatever that experience is.

18. Emperor-Tiberius

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Moffat praises the chemistry of Tennant and Smith. He says that he wrote the tenth and eleventh Doctors to have "friction," but on camera it turned into something else, "two lovable, madcap, caffeinated Doctors, they’re also quite fanboyish" and "giggly with each other."

The video the BBC released of Tennant and Smith on set together after the broadcast of "The Name of the Doctor" showed their chemistry rather well, and I admit that I wished at the time there could be a whole series of the two Doctors.

20. Emperor-Tiberius

... or maybe a slightly longer The Day of the Doctor?

:devil: