A surprise in Google Maps...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Nightowl1701, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

He's keeping busy! :lol:

3. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I wish trebbs had a like button. :) Way cool

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In a search for further Easter-eggery, I did a location search from "Police Telephone Box" to "Gallifrey," and I got driving directions to a place called The Who Shop, apparently a Doctor Who memorabilia/merchandise store on Barking Road, London. I tried "Metebelis III," but Google Maps didn't recognize it. (Granted, the Doctor had trouble getting there himself...) I guess there's a limit to how elaborate the Easter egg is -- so far.

5. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

They have one in the centre of Glasgow too, had my picture taken with it being the geek that I am :p

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a proper vintage one (I think), while the Earls Court one is new, about ten years old.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Really? Is it a working police telephone of some sort, or just a tourist attraction?

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

More importantly, is it bigger on the inside?

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Lots of reviews. Did anyone say that their baby was conceived at the hotel?

10. diankra

It is a genuine, used by the police, police box (though the design is a bit of an indulgence. And possibly an attempt by the police to re-establish their claim on the design after the earlier copyright dispute with the BBC... though that's mainly my speculation).
    Its main purpose is as a backup access point for the emergency control room systems in the tube station itself, ISTR.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  11. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have walked past that police box many times outside earls court, and every time i do i grin. Great to see it make an appearence here again. Just googled it, it was built in 1997. :)

I still love the earls court police box gag in the series 7.2 opener 'Bells of St. John.'

Mahler: ""What's happening?"
    Alexi: "Blue box, South bank. Definitely wasn't there five minutes ago."
    Mahler: "Are we sure this time? Earl's Court was an embarrassment."

12. diankra

The down side to the Earl's Court box arriving is that the mini-boxes (a sort of stripped-down police box, just the phone on a plinth, but with the same style - the Stan Laurel to the TARDIS's Oliver Hardy, as it were) that were all over the City of London through till the 1990s seem to have been stripped out over the 10 years or so.

13. hammerhead

hammerhead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Funny I used to live in Earls Court and never noticed that police box until about a year after I moved in! I do marvel at it. For the smaller versions mentioned above now that I think about it there is a mini one at the entrance to Houndsditch at the entrance to the City of London by the police check point (never really manned). Never thought about that one til you mentioned it!