Galaxy Quest Sound Effects

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JarodRussell, May 30, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Random observation of the day: the sound effects for the weapons in Galaxy Quest are the very same sound effects for the weapons in Spaceballs.

That reference/in-joke/homage just made my day.

And while we're at it: why was there never a sequel? So much potential.

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I still reckon Galaxy Quest is the best Star Trek movie ever made -- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World coming a close second.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to watch Master and Commander again someday, I never got this Star Trek connection everyone mentions.

4. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

M&C is what a great Trek movie should be like... but in space. Exploring, hunting enemies, harsh conditions away from command... things like that.

And yes, there should have been a sequel to Galaxy Quest... maybe they were afraid they couldn't do a second movie as good as the first and decided to leave it as a one off classic.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^True enough. How many of Mel Brooke's classic comedies had sequels, including the aptly titled History of the World Pt. 1?

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek has been called Horatio Hornblower in space, particularly by Nick Meyer. The Aubrey-Maturin series of novels, one of which was adapted as Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, has some similarities to the Hornblower series.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The same reason True Lies (aka the best Bond movie) didn't. Quality dilution. :)

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I had no idea that one of the most important things about Star Trek is "hunting enemies." Learn something new every day.

9. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

I seem to remember Kirk hunting and chasing down Gorn, Romulans (ala Balance of terror one of the best episodes of TOS), it adds action, tension, loss. Some of the best parts of M&C was the hunt of the bad guys, the action added drama... I'm not saying it's the whole thing but there it is. So yeah, glad ya learned something.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Mark Johnson, who produced Galaxy Quest, was asked about a sequel recently and said this:

11. JarodRussell

A sequel would basically write itself with all that Star Trek reboot and Star Wars sequel stuff going on.

Producers want to reboot Galaxy Quest, spouting stuff like how lame the original was, how pathetic the fans are, etc... the original cast is outraged that they are going to be replaced by a bunch of tweenagers. Especially Tim Allen, because he is not getting asked for a cameo, but Alan Rickman ist. But then they and the reboot cast are sucked into another interstellar adventure aboard the Protector. With time travel and alternate universes, so that they actually do reboot reality.

12. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Get it written and get an agent-I'll pay to see that.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Galaxy Quest is a very, very funny movie with a smart premise and a great cast. I really don't see any benefit from revisiting it in a new series or movie, though, without suffering from diminishing returns.

14. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

^I agree. Neatly tied up with no loose ends, the quest is over.

15. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm... He says, "...I wish...It's complicated. I can't get into it because it only gets me angry,..."

...sounds to me like there is some Hollywood shenanigans behind the reason...

...By Grapthar's Hammer, get it done...Make It So!!!...Engage!!!

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The sound of vengeance in ST:ID to me was laughable--that would have fit in with Spaceballs or galaxy quest

17. JarodRussell

Good I'm not the only one.