General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have disagreements about stuff with you guys and a couple of my friends...but nothing really bothersome or overt. Can't say that I've encountered ass hole fans...or the fanatics as I like to call them.

2. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

In a forum elsewhere, somebody started a thread asking for a rough list of who everyone thought were the best wrestlers to hold the WWE Championship (not the best champions, just the best performers). My initial list caused a shitstorm because I ranked RVD and Kurt Angle higher than Randy Savage, so I spent that weekend going over some old matches and the like in an effort to tweak my original list given that it got to so many people. Again, the thread starter had said give a rough list, which wasn't something I really thought much into, regardless I did the list again and came up with this:

1. Shawn Michaels
    2. Ric Flair
    3. Bruno Sammartino
    4. Steve Austin
    5. Bret Hart
    6. Hulk Hogan
    7. Kurt Angle
    8. Rey Mysterio
    9. Bob Backlund
    10. Eddie Guerrero
    11. CM Punk
    12. Chris Jericho
    13. Brock Lesnar
    14. The Undertaker
    15. Edge
    16. Randy Savage
    17. Randy Orton
    18. Triple H
    19. Rob Van Dam
    20. The Rock

And even though it hasn't resulted in any shitstorms, I'm sure it still drives people mad. Just out of curiosity, what would you guys rate as the 20 best wrestlers to have held the WWE Championship?

3. Admiral_Young

Interesting list. Don't have much problems with it...I think I would rank The Rock and Triple H higher on that list based on your criteria of best performers, along with the Undertaker. I think the three of them would be in my top ten to be honest, but otherwise I think that's a great list.

4. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ I'd personally reverse Rey Mysterio and Chris Jericho's positions, but that's just me.

5. Admiral_Young

As I thought Brock is being advertised for the 1000th episode, so is Bret Hart!

6. Mr Silver

I know, it's exciting stuff, I'm wondering whether they have the beginning of some big angle planned, to commemorate. Hopefully they won't blow the show, regardless of what they have planned for it!

I have a feeling they may introduce the new WWE Championship belt at the show, since the WWE Championship is the only title that has been permanently active since the beginning of Raw. (the Intercontinental Championship briefly ceased being active in 02-03, ludicrous decision in hindsight!)

I'm also wondering whether they will announce a stipulation for the Lesnar/HHH match at the show. A straight up wrestling match would be good, but I think a HIAC or Street Fight is a more likely candidate. Of course, WWE could really buy into Lesnar's UFC days and have it so he only accepts the match if it's inside an octagon cage, which would of course, serve as a storyline advantage for Lesnar.

7. Admiral_Young

I've theorized that we could see the unveiling the new WWE Title there as well...I could see Triple H walking out with it to present it with Punk, only to be interrupted by that familiar music...out walks Brock (maybe even with Paul at his side) hops up to the ring takes a long look at Punk (who smirks back at him) and then grabs the mic and says something like "Summer Slam...I'm going to bring you pain!!" (yeah that was bad I'm tired right though lol). Or it will happen something similar to that.

8. Mr Silver

[yt]v=OIK28dRUDXg[/yt]

Viscera claims that he was scheduled to win the WWE Championship in 1995... I honestly can't put it into words, so I'll use a GIF instead,

[​IMG]

9. Admiral_Young

Cornette face suffices in response to this!!!

10. Admiral_Young

This thread is dying a bit...I guess there isn't much to discuss right now until the 1000th episode, and since I haven't been able to see Raw or comment on stuff that is going on.

The Rock tweeted that he would be there and hash tagged his intent to recapture the WWE Championship.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_63169.shtml

11. Mr Silver

^ Can you imagine WWE pulling something like booking The Rock to capture the WWE Championship at Raw #1000? It's almost worryingly possible if John Cena wins the MITB match... Rock vs. Cena: Part II @ Summerslam

I noticed a few people were pissed at the mock revelation that Hornswoggle was the Anonymous Raw GM. I knew that it would be a farce conclusion given that Santino was the person engaging in the investigation. At this point it was just WWE ribbing the audience, they probably had a few people in mind for the role back when it was relevant, but decided to quietly bury the angle because Michael Cole was getting over instead of the Anonymous GM concept!

12. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

In that case the obvious conclusion would have been to make the anonymous GM Michael Cole.

13. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

If they tried to ignore all the wrestlers with sordid bits in their histories, they wouldn't have anyone left to talk about. Pro wrestling is a dirty industry. Everybody knows that; they just don't talk about it.

14. Admiral_Young

Yeah I am another fan would thought it logical to reveal that it was Michael Cole...that ship sailed a long time ago though. @Admiral M...I agree that revealing of Hornswaggle as the Anonymous GM was a gag and not meant to be the reveal of their actual plans.

15. Mr Silver

I'm somewhat amazed and scared at the same time, by how much Ric Flair has aged in the last decade. Check this out:

[​IMG]

(Flair in 02, 07/08 and 12)

16. Admiral_Young

It's been really noticeable in the last year or so IMO. Every time I've seen him on TNA, I have thought, wow he's really showing his age now. I loved him during his WWE run.

17. Mr Silver

^ Agreed, in the last couple of years his muscle mass has almost completely declined, he no longer looks like a wrestler. I was thinking of doing one for Triple H, who has always been a built individual, but illustrating how his body focus has shifted over the years.

I don't get Flair, I find it extremely hard to accept anyone in their 60's as being as controversial as he is. Sure, his wrestling schedule may have delayed the onset of a mid life crisis, but as far as anyone can tell, Ric Flair has always been a flamboyant character who acts first and doesn't think later. I'd really like to see him back in WWE, if anything so he will be provided with financial stability and good role models and the chance to be in the limelight without having to don the trunks and do blade jobs. He's one of the best of all time, one of my favourites and a guy who owes it to himself to preserve his legacy.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  18. Admiral_Young

Yeah. I don't understand his mind frame either. He might be one of those types of athletes that has just only known one thing their entire lives and has unable to give it up. His business management of his finances doesn't seem very good either, not to mention his personal life. It's sad to see, because I have long respected and admired him since I was a little kid, even though I wasn't always a fan of his.

19. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure they'll hire him once the whole TNA suing them thing has fizzled out, but in the meantime he will make the round in the indies I guess, like Juggalo Championship Wrestling.

20. Mr Silver

In many ways, I think Daniel Bryan is the contemporary Ric Flair and I'm pretty sure WWE has picked up on this too and have finally realised one of the many reasons as to why they should get behind him:

- Repetitive (and always over) one word signature utterance: "Wooo!!"/"YES!!"
    - Use a famous classical piece of music as their entrance themes
    - Seen as technical wrestling masters of their generation.
    - Very over with the crowd either way, but really shine in the heel roles.
    - Signature entrance attire: Flair's robes/Bryan's leather jackets and coats.
    - Signature strike: Flair's chops/Bryan's Puro style kicks.
    - Use a submission as a finisher: Flair's figure four leglock/Bryan's YES! lock.
    - Distinguished minor league background before making it big: Flair in NWA territories/Bryan in ROH, PWG, FIP, etc.