Star Trek-TMP Directors Edition NOT on Blu-Ray!!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by marknetprod, Nov 16, 2008.

1. marknetprod

marknetprod Ensign Newbie

http://www.spleenworld.com/coverart/images/trek_I_hires.jpg

I read on The Digital Bits web site that Star Trek 1 to 6 WILL finally be available on Blu-Ray next year BUT only the Original Version of ST-TMP will be on Disc! This is not what Robert Wise would have wanted so I plead to everyone esp. the Producers of the Directors Edition to re-do the Visual Effects for 1080p HD specs. I think it would very ideal for William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Stephen Collins, Douglas Trumbull, and one of the Producers who worked on the new Special Effects to provide NEW Video Commentary that can be shown allowing them to comment as they watch the film. I think this feature would really complement what has already been done for the DVD release. It would
    also be fitting to have NEW Tributes to Gene Roddenberry, Robert Wise, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, and Jerry Goldsmith included.

Finally, it would be GREAT if the ST-TMP Music Score was in DVD Audio format and re-released on 200 gram Vinyl too!

Please write to the Producers of the Directors Edition DVD about bringing it
    to Blu-Ray!!!

Markus McLaughlin
    marknetproductions.wordpress.com
    Hudson, MA, USA

:vulcan:

2. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    Woohoo! :cool:

Fuck Wise. He should not have walked away from a semi-complete ST:TMP after its 1979 premiere or - infinitely worse - turn it over to those despicable hacks at the now thankfully defunct Sharpline Arts two decades later to do with as they please (i.e., Photoshopping Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers into those fuzzy digisnaps of present-day San Francisco to make it look futuristicky) in a failed attempt to raise their industry profile. :rolleyes:

TGT

3. NCC621

NCC621 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, on one hand, I agree with TGT in being thrilled that TMP will be released in its original version. However, I'd ALSO like it to come out in the Director's Cut, which I regard as a significantly improved film.

"Fuck Wise"? Clearly, someone needs to learn a few manners, even if you disagree with the judgement of the Academy Award-winnning director of a film that you claim to like.

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Malfunction. Malfunction. Malfunction."

"Emergency alert -- negative control at helm. Emergency alert -- negative control at helm."

I'm so glad to have the original sounds back.

5. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Indeed...

6. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

How about releasing the TNG movies on bluray as well

7. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

The Director's Edition met with widespread acclaim, and I do think it'd be worth it for them to put the effort into a Blu-Ray release, but I am not surprised they aren't doing this just yet. Give it a few years.

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

This is TGT. He considers sub-human anyone who doesn't do exactly as he wishes in regards to Star trek.

9. GodThingFormerly

Robert Wise had an obligation, not merely to Gene Roddenberry, or to the production crew, or the cast, or to the studio, or even to himself. He had an obligation to the film, to complete it as an integrated artistic entity to the best of his abilities irrespective of what difficulties he may have encountered shooting with an unfinished script and an apparently non-performing visual effects contractor. Paramount supposedly gave him the opportunity to reedit ST:TMP for its European premiere, after it was effectively "audience tested" during its initial US run. Although several of the visuals - particularly the Vulcan and Wingwalk matte paintings executed by Apogee - may have remained substandard, we would have got a far more refined approximation of the film that was originally intended. But noooo, Wise instead decided to spite by walking out on the project the few fans (such as moi) to whom the 1979 theatrical cut managed to speak, even in its chewing gum 'n' duct taped workprint form. Of course, in retrospect I was probably expecting too much from a man who began his rise to becoming the quintessential studio journeyman by happily recutting and reshooting Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons at the order of RKO while the latter was out of the country. How ironic that a spectacularly successful directorial career which was born through the conscious betrayal of a friend and colleague ultimately ended with Wise betraying himself. Fuck him.

Oh, Gep, you tragicomic result of an apparently iodine-deficient childhood. I very much doubt that the first two seasons of TOS were made to my exact specifications by Gene Roddenberry, considering I was only biologically conceived well after the series itself was cancelled. :rolleyes:

TGT

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Hey, unless you buy into the ludicrous auteur theory, then every creative has stuff to admire and to dislike.

Wise did DAY THE EARTH and ANDROMEDA, but he also did STAR! and some other lesser things. His notions on TMP seem to have changed from 78 to 80 to 00, and so I agree he was probably brainwashed into these modest ineffective DE changes, and deserves some criticism (only 1 percent of the criticism he deserves for not saving a workprint of Welles' cut of AMBERSONS, but criticism nontheless.

11. GodThingFormerly

Run Silent, Run Deep, The Haunting and in particular The Sand Pebbles are also childhood favorites, and I must say that I was quite impressed with Born to Kill which - when compared to Wise's general good taste in filmmaking - was notably sleazy in both its story and performances.

I think that "brainwashed" is vastly overstating what happened on the DE. Wise simply didn't care enough about ST:TMP to put any constraints on what was ultimately nothing more than an advertising campaign for Fein, Matessino and Dochterman's leap into the DVD packaging big time. In any event, now that the telephone number on their website (which hasn't been updated since late 2001) appears to have been disconnected I may need to reconsider my position on the existence of natural justice in the universe.

TGT

12. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

If they're gonna release the theatrical cut on Bluray, then they better bloody well release it on DVD as well.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original version of TMP had much better Red Alert klaxons than what they stuck in The Director's Edition.

14. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Post, not poster. Please stay away from the personal comments.

I don't care how you gussied it up, you still called him a retard. That plus your ill-conceived bit of trolling by thread tag gets you an infraction. Comments to PM.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

What the fuck is trolling by thread tag?

16. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I must admit that I don't understand it myself...:vulcan:

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Glad I'm in good company, maybe somebody will enlighten us. I mean, if TGT wants or deserves a warning, he can usually give a lot more to earn it.

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The thread tags, which you can view at the bottom of the thread. He had added one titled "Gep Malakai's brainfart," which I have since deleted.

19. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

I thought that they could branch on Blu-Ray and provide all three versions of the film on a single disk?

20. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

They can. Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Blade Runner both branch three versions on one disc. However, in the case of the Director's Edition, Paramount is either a.) unwilling to shell out the money needed to uprez the DE effects to 1080p resolution for Blu-Ray.... or b.) is waiting to double-dip later on.

Now what Paramount can do is branch the theatrical version and the TV version on one disc but they'll probably put the extended TV scenes in a separate section.

I'm interested to find out what kind of features the disc will have. Will they recycle the same self-congratulatory featurettes from the original DVD or will we get something a little better? And since the original DVD commentary was recorded for the DE, will they record a new one or simply edit out any comments that pertain specifically to the DE?

I admit it will be nice to have the original version on Blu-Ray for posterity but Paramount should really give this film the Blade Runner treatment.

I agree that new tributes for Robert Wise, Jerry Goldsmith, and James Doohan are a must, along with composer Alexander Courage, writer Jack Sowards for ST:II, composer Leonard Rosenman for ST:IV, and writer Michael Piller for ST:Ins.

As for the soundtrack, I doubt it will be re-released anytime soon. IIRC, it took forever to get the extended TMP soundtrack we have now out on the shelves. You can always e-mail one of the specialty soundtrack companies like Varese Sarabande, Intrada, or Film Score Monthly but Paramount seems to be a bit fickle with licensing this stuff and the re-use fees could make the whole project cost-prohibitive. On the other hand, I'm listening to the just-released expanded version of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom so anything's possible. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008