(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well 3 points in the bag but my GOD England were piss poor, simply no fucking movement. I don't buy this Wembley fear bullshit, its Capello who screams at players for even attempting to go forward to support an attack...Negative tactics from a negative manager.

We only have to avoid defeat in 4 weeks against Montenegro to qualify though if we do lose then we hope they don't beat Swiss in basle.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Once we qualify I wish the FA would have the bottle to fire Capello, what's the point of qualifying if we don't envisage actually doing anything at Euro 2012!

By the way, will the Olympics be before or after the Euros?

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

After - Euros start in June, Olympics the back-end of July.

I've got tickets for the bronze medal football match!

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Excellent. The footy is the only thing I'd have been interested enough in...and even then not interested enough to actually try and get a ticket!

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best two players on the pitch by a mile last night - Ramsey and Bale.

England played well for the 10 minutes after the goal, spanning HT, but before that, and after that they were absolutely diabolical. Seriously if we're going to continue playing like this in the finals then I'd rather we didn't go through.

Sadly, I suspect that the Montenegro result is fairly redundant as I don't see them winning in Switzerland. In fact, but for Switzerland's ultra-slow start to the group, they'd probably have won it.

Capello's got to go. Preferably before the Euros but that will never happen.

6. Angel4576

Forest 1 Derby 2

Despite being 0-1 down in the first minute and down to 10 men for 89 minutes! :lol:

7. HappyDayRiot

Love that Derby result. Great goal by Ward to equalise, too.

I can't decide who the more comical team is out of Arsenal and Forest at the moment.

Just glad we went to Blackpool and didn't lose today. Apparently we were all over them and should have won it at a canter - but I suspect the spectre of Wembley was just that little too much for some.

8. Angel4576

Yeah Forest weren't too happy with Ward's equaliser because we played on when Cohen was lying injured. Seeing as it was Cohen, who earlier was the chief sh1t-stirrer with the ref in getting Fielding sent off, I didn't have a problem with that at all. I'm getting sick of the sight of Forest players surrounding the ref every time they feel that they can swing a decision their way.

Still, didn't do them much good today. :lol:

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

There are few things that I hate more than one team demanding the ball be kicked out of bounds because of a supposed injury of one player without the referee having declared a foul. Literally 99/100 times I see this the assumingly injured player suddenly experiences a miracle healing and hops around like an excited puppy again as soon as he's off the field and immediately demands being let back in again. And funnily this almost always happens when the opposing team is just starting a promising attack, how strange...

If one team exploits sportsmanship in such a way I say the other team isn't bound to it either anymore. They can kick the fucking ball out when they get it back.

10. HappyDayRiot

^ Completely agreed.

The introduction of a yellow card for anyone who undergoes a Lazarian healing on the touchline should help!

11. Angel4576

I agree with this as well. Also punishment for players who surround the ref. IMO they should make it like rugby union where only the captain can approach the ref.

Yesterday, Cohen actually did do himself an injury. Seemed innocuous at the time, but he had to be stretchered off. Thing is, the ref was right there, he could see that it wasn't a head injury, and the play was developing. No need to stop the play, and we didn't.

Although, technically, Ward did eventually put the ball out of play by slotting it into the net. :lol:

12. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Or at least broadcast the referee microphone as they do in international rugby.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

If Forest remain in the bottom 3 for a few more weeks I think its safe to say McClaren don't forget your brolly on the way out. If we end up being relegated this year it will ruin us because our budget is already dangerously thin with mounting debt.

As for the game, clear penalty BUT it was not a red card because the keeper was not the last man (defender behind him) and also the ref should of booked our players for telling the ref to send him off. I am not surprised Derby didn't put the ball out and the ref should be the one to get in trouble, Cohen had to be taken off the pitch on a stretcher.

end of day FOREST are still shit and refs have no balls.

14. Angel4576

Agree with most of that.

I think I have more sympathy with the ref over the Cohen injury. At the time it looked fairly innocuous, and it clearly wasn't a head injury.

Again, to use the rugby example, I don't see why the trainer can't come on in those circumstances. In many ways football is so NOT progressive.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh what a lovely weekend!

I'm actually horse today from all the screaming at the radio I did Saturday! Was driving home from seeing my mum listening to the game, and obviously just a couple of minutes in I was devastated...luckily emotions reversed with time!!

Forest just seem to be in self-destruct mode at the moment (much like, as has been said, the Gunners) I'm not sure if it's the board or MaClaren to blame but I have to say, signing only name players isn't really the best use of a budget (seriously who did Andy Reid eat?) I see Jewell is intent on making the same mistakes with Ipswich that he made with Derby as well.

I still don't think we have what it takes in the tank to go all the way this year, but I can't see how we won't finish considerably higher than last year now, and I don't think a tilt at the play offs is beyond us.

16. Angel4576

I still think mid-table for us come the end of the season.

We haven't really played any teams yet that I consider to be title contenders, or even playoff hopefuls to be fair.

That being said, it's nice to build some momentum for when we do play these teams, and the teams that we're currently beating are the kind of teams that we'd struggle against ordinarily.

I think I was still bemoaning Hendrick's (lack of) composure when he cooly slotted in from 25 yards! :lol:

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Signed!

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I dunno, I reckon Blackpool will be there or there about...

Besides last year we didn't do too bad against the top teams (we certainly played well against QPR and Swansea)

19. Angel4576

From memory the QPR games were the couple of games where Sav decided to put in MOTM performances! :lol:

We've still got Green and Addison to come back in later in the season as well to add further options and cover.

Since Saturday's match, Nigel's spoken of the need for another couple of players to add to the squad - with those, in the right areas, we could be onto something.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well Bailey's gonna be out for a few months apparently so midfield reinforcements are definitely needed. Hopefully Addison will come back fighting fit (and a lot trimmer) and Greeny will be back too, but in the meantime we need to ship the deadwood out and get someone on loan, even if it is just Oakley.