DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Being along time fan of the JSA, both Earth 2 and Worlds Finest are the ones that pique my interest.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I'm a bit behind, but I'm really starting to lose interest in Action Comics. The general storyline is still interesting enough, but the writing and dialogue are so choppy and hard to follow that I often have to read every page a couple times just to understand what the heck is going on.

Next to something like the new Ultimate Spider-Man, which flows absolutely beautifully, Action just seems like a mess.

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree ... Batwing is a solid book with a tricky central idea (child soldiers in the DC Universe).

On the continuity issue: it's not either/or when it comes to story. Continuity generates story as much as it shuts story down, but I also think it's true that continuity generates a different kind of story (smaller scale, often, and circular to some degree - continuity generates "down the rabbit-hole stories").

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

China Mieville!? :eek:

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I have indeed read Batwing and enjoy it quite a bit but thought I was in the minority on that. Good to know otherwise.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The difference between what Grant did and what DC is doing is that he made Batman's history work and interesting. DC in my opinion is not making this five year timeline work. I'm merely just voicing my opinion. As others have clearly said it's really not a big deal. I just personally dislike it.

Interesting only a few books are being cancelled. I expected more. I am of course looking forward to the return of Batman Incorporated. The war against Talia is going to be bonkers! Extremely pleased that Chris Burnham is returning as the artist. Batman looks like he's wearing his New 52 costume. Might check out Earth 2.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i'm just glad to have the JSA back.

8. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It just struck me as I was reading the latest issue: I wonder if THE SHADE mini takes place on Earth 2? His ties to the golden age and Starman seem to suggest this as a possibility.

Also, another thought: if Power Girl is trapped here on New Earth (along with the Huntress) then how does she tie to the un-powered Karen Starr that appeared in MR. TERRIFIC?

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's the question isn't it? I'm assuming it'll be an alternate Power Girl.

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

The concept of Earth-2 doesn't thrill me, but I am looking forward to the JSA being in a monthly again.

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    So long as Power Girl is back, I don't care. Maybe that Karen Starr isn't PG at all, or perhaps she is PG and she somehow gets trapped on Earth2 in the final issues of Mr Terrific.

12. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Karen knows Mr. T is close to a breakthrough where the multiverse is concerned and is sticking very close to him. I haven't read the comic, but that is my guess.

13. Nerys Myk

Levitz on Worlds Finest and Earth 2

Looks like the Karen Starr from Mr Terrific is the PG from Earth 2 and the Huntress from the current mini is Helena Wayne from Earth 2

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll have to double check but I think the Huntress mini has her mentioned as Bertinelli. She is in Naples, Italy to check on her family's holdings. Ergo, she can't be Wayne.

That interview is full of retcon sounding speak already. "That Bertinelli is in there as a tease." This has facepalm written all over it.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be established immediately as a pseudonym per Levitz, sorry.

16. Nerys Myk

The Bertinelli ID is a fake. Read the article in the link.

17. Captain Craig

^^^
    I did, I still smell a rat. I bought the first two issues then decided to wait on the TPB.
    If it's Wayne I don't care.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Levitz isn't cut out for writing anymore.

The harder he tries, the more embarrassing it turns out.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, in fairness, when the Huntress mini was announced, it said that it connected to the an upcoming JSA title (which, at that point, was already known to have something to do with Earth-2). Huntress being from Earth-2 shouldn't come as a surprise.

20. Captain Craig

^^^
    I didn't see that material. I showed up at my LCS and a Huntress #1 was on the shelf. News of her mini got lost to me with the deluge of all the nu52 material I guess.

I'm not a fan of the multi-Earth concept. I started reading a few years before '86 Crisis. Really just young enough to not really know I was reading other Earths. However the bulk of my reading DC came post-Crisis so all this nostalgia of taking things back to the way the now Editors grew up with things irks me. It was personal for them to retcon this all back so it feels personal that the characters I invested in for 20+yrs is now up in the air.