Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

GornMcCoy,

Welcome to the forum! Don't fret to much about TNG -- all the series have their "growing pains" and TNG matures rather nicely given time ... even Wesley -- but you'll find out for yourself. So enjoy them all - that is what they are there for!

2. Jonno1971

Jonno1971 Ensign Red Shirt

Hi, i'm really glad to find a forum with so many discussions going on. Superb.

Here in the UK back in the 70s Star Trek along with Doctor Who (which i also love) were my two fave shows. I remember the animated show too which to my five year old self seemed interchangable with the live action one. It was only years later i worked out these were separate shows.

Through the 80s i saw all the films and remember the anticipation over TNG. Wow those were amazing times to be a fan.

I loved TNG but i must admit i lost interest in the other spin off shows and never saw DS9 or Voyager beyond their opening instalements.

Fast forward to 2009 and i was blown away with JJ Abrams new interpretation. I absolutely love both films and feel a bit baffled by some of the hate i read online.

Anyway good to be here and be a fan. I'm buzzing for the new series. I really hope it can be a series that really makes an impact and creates a whole new group of fans. Much like the new Doctor Who did back in 2005.

Jonno

3. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I think I might not be the only one to think that you should watch more than just few episodes of DS9 and Voyager and maybe Enterprise too, those shows, if any show, don't open up fully until you've seen several episodes or even seasons.

4. Jonno1971

Jonno1971 Ensign Red Shirt

Yea i'm open to another go. I think perhaps i was just loosing interest in sci-fi in general back then.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the '90s, I missed a lot of DS9 because I thought it was too talky and I got a bit bored with it. But that was right before the show started to pick up and get really good. So when I revisited the show later, I regretted not having watched it all in the first place.

On the other hand, I faithfully watched VOY every single week, if only because of Jeri Ryan's, um, acting skills. Yeah. Now I can barely stand the show.

Kor

6. FleetCommodoreCarver

FleetCommodoreCarver Ensign Newbie

Hi there. I decided to sign up for this forum not only because I'm a rather rabid Trek fan (just recently saw the Ultimate Voyage show in Detroit and it could have been longer IMHO) but also because I need to ask an interesting question related to a project I'm attempting (any Vulcans in the area should be all ears :) )
    My project is this: I'm assembling a complete set of the TOS episodes for a friend of mine. He's almost completely blind, but wants the episodes anyway so that he can at least listen to them. Now, here's the conundrum: At a resolution of 320p, and given the fact that each episode has an average running length of 50 minutes, about how much space (in GB) would be taken up on a hard drive for storing all 79 episodes?

7. The Night Sky Guy

The Night Sky Guy Ensign Newbie

Hi everyone, I just joined. I'm a fan since childhood in the 70s with particular fondness for TOS and films. I am a science communicator by trade specializing in astronomy - which has been my hobby for three decades. I am also very proud to say I authored a new book coming out in June titled - Star Trek The Official Guide to Our Universe: The True Science Behind the Starship Voyages - that melds my two loves. My hope is that I can connect with fellow fans here and share some of the cosmic edutainment we love so much.

8. DS9-31

DS9-31 Ensign Red Shirt

New member here.

I'm a fan of TNG and DS9 and I trudged through Voyager and Enterprise but I've been missing Trek on TV and I started re-watching the old shows and enjoy seeing the commentary on here.

Not interested in the reboot and hoping we'll get a TV series that picks up around 2380 after the Dominion war.

9. Romdoll

Romdoll Lieutenant Red Shirt

10. OtherGene

OtherGene Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Morning all. I felt it was about time I joined the forum for one of my favourite interests. Star Trek has always been a fixture of my life as my older brother was a big fan but I think my first proper introduction was the animated series which I would watch as a kid in the late 1970s. Things really kicked into gear once I started enjoying TNG and it's been a constant since. Moving on to the present day, I enjoyed Star Trek in 2009, I thought it was a good attempt at making the franchise inclusive and I felt positive about Treks future and whist STID had some good in it I was left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Too many corners cut, too many unlikely plot points and a pasty faced white guy playing the Big Bad (he played it well though).

The future? Beyond is looking distinctly iffy to me but I'll give it a chance. The new series? Cannot wait.

11. Daegon

Daegon Cadet Newbie

Greetings, and welcome all to my entrance. Glad to have you all with me.
    That works in reverse too...
    Where is Suzy?

12. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

Glad to be here. Hello to all. I recently discovered my inner sci-fi nerd and I want to dive into the Star Trek universe. I have seen some of the shows and movies in passing, but I just recently tackled Stargate from the beginning and now I want to explore everything Star Trek.

I'm going to start from the beginning with TOS and I'm looking for good lists on where to start with the literature. I'm open to any lists and suggestions. Thanks for having me.

13. Nveid Jo'rek

Nveid Jo'rek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Howdy, all.
    I just joined the forum today. I've read some threads on this site, but was disappointed that I wasn't able to join in on the conversations unless I signed up. Well, I finally mustered up the courage and "enlisted."

I do have one more question. When I'm changing settings on my profile, it asks if I wanted to join on the Neutral Zone. what does that mean, exactly?

14. Pure Antiproton

Pure Antiproton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, all. New person here. Been enormous fan of TOS (in reruns of course), TNG, and DS9. I watched Voy during it's first run because it was Trek but not a big fan except for certain episodes. Lost interest in Enterprise in the 2nd season and fell into dark star trek-less days for a while.

Love most of the movies! Really DO like ST 2009 and STID despite a lot of fan hate. Hey, it's Trek! On the screen. Bring it on.

Very excited for the new movie and TV series! Can't wait.

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

I've been a member of this forum for a long time - some fifteen years - but I've never been zealously active, only posting once in a great while. I joined in 2001 and am still a "red shirt", but I've lived through several different software iterations of this board.

I'm an old guy - in my sixties and retired and living in Florida - and i watched STAR TREK from its very first broadcast, now coming up on fifty years ago this September.

I tuned in and out that first season, mostly because I couldn't abandon BEWITCHED, which switched to color that same season that STAR TREK premiered. I'd watch the first half of a STAR TREK on NBC and then switch midway to ABC for that night's episode of BEWITCHED. It ate me up inside that these two shows had to be on opposite each other, but the night "City On The Edge Of Forever" aired, I watched it in full and continued with STAR TREK for the final new episode and then the summer rerun season. Once it moved to Fridays, I no longer had a conflict with BEWITCHED.

We were lucky enough to have a color TV in the house. We'd gotten it earlier in the spring and were ready for the color explosion on all three networks. I just changed my avatar to a midpoint image of the NBC peacock that aired before ever episode of STAR TREK originally. These days, being owned by CBS, it's become a relic of the past. But we original fans remember it fondly, even if we tend to hate the network for what it did to the show.

Let's not forget that then-competitor CBS did all it could to ensure STAR TREK's failure too!

Anyway, I thought I'd log into this introductory thread even though I am an old-timer here.

Harry

16. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Better late than never, or something. :)

17. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

Hello, I'm Six of Twelve and I found this forum last night after googling a Trek question I had. After seeing that this forum had not become deactivated through disuse and was still active, I decided to join.

I've been a Trek fan since the beginning in 1966, when I was in elementary school. Previously, my favorite series had been DS9, but lately, Voyager has taken over that position. Too much emphasis on the Dominion storyline kind of ruined DS9 for me. But, I like all the Treks, with the exception of the animated series.

I wrote two DS9 fanzines in the 90s and more recently have posted 3 Voyager one-shot stories on FanFiction Net and Archive of Our Own.

I am happy to be assimilated into this collective and hope to gain answers and the insights of others when writing future fanfics.

Kilana2 likes this.
  18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Welcome to TrekBBS (the same goes to all of you newcomers). Just be sure not to stare directly into @HIjol's eyes.

You've been warned. :p

19. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi everyone.

Been a Trek fan as long as I can remember (so about 3 years old and around 1980) although I have a huge soft spot for any sci-fi although Trek, Star Wars and the Alien series will always have my attention first.

While I love Kirk and crew, I've grown to really appreciate Next Gen and while I didn't really enjoy DS9 when it was airing, now that I can binge watch it it's become one of my favorites of all the Trek series. I've even found some gems in Voyager and Enterprise, and yes I do enjoy the JJ verse as well. I'm a sucker for big action flicks too.

Right now a lot of my binge watching and admiration of fan comics has spurred me into working on my own Trek stories and making me exercise my 3D modeling skills for sets and ships that aren't out there for purchase or freely for people to grab.

I end up working a lot as IT is my regular job and I end up with all sorts of weird hours. But when I'm not working, sleeping or spending time with my wife, I do game quite a bit both at the table with RPGs and other games as well as on my PC and consoles.

Just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself, so hi!

20. Noirtha

Noirtha Cadet Newbie

Not much of a TV person, however started watching TNG and I got hooked. Cannot stop watching Star Trek. Star Trek has now become my new obsession.