About that episode with the Klingon D-7 attacking Voyager...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Vito Corleone, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Vito Corleone

Vito Corleone Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There's something that always bothered me about this episode...

How could a 23rd Century Klingon ship that hasn't seen the Alpha Quadrant for generations possibly recognize a 24th century Federation ship? :vulcan: Voyager doesn't look anything like any of Starfleet's 23rd century vessels...

http://youtu.be/kmnoN6lCtwg

I'm sure there was an explanation in the episode's dialogue but, I don't remember now...

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Presumably the scanned Voyager and there was a recognizable Federation signature.

OR perhaps they could read.

[​IMG]

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Being Klingons it's not a certainty that they can read.

4. teacake

They would have some translation device on their ship that they would run it through. Plus it's not like the Federation decided to start calling their ships the FFF whatever in place of USS so I think it would be clear when they first saw the hull that it could be a Federation vessel. After that they would be interpreting whatever their scanners told them.

The real question here is why is Vito Corleone the color of blood.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saucer, lower hull, nacelles sticking out... looks similar enough to me! There are also energy signatures and stuff like that. Not to mention the name and Starfleet logo painted on it.

6. Guy Gardener

And the friendly automated subspace Transpoder/handshake signal on a loop...

"We're from the Federation, and we want to be your friend!"

And you wondered why the kazon opened fire almost immediately?

7. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Looks a lot like Voyager fires its phaser shot from the rear torpedo launcher there.
    Oh well, I'll just assume it's a nod to Darmok and get on with my life :rofl:

Still, props to the very first scene though. It opens up and you're thinking "Oh well, standard establishing stock shot, how boring" then BAM, something exciting happens.

Way to throw us off there :)

8. teacake

I like the idea of Klingon cultists. I'm thinking there are probably tons of splinter schism cultic Klingon groups. They are passionate and while traditional they are given to splitting off from those the disagree with.

Too bad this was the most dreary and eye rolling theme ever in the books.

9. F. King Daniel

It'a okay, they can't bore us anymore. The Borg got them all!

10. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I've always wondered why the Klingon ship is referred to as a D7 even though they used the DS9 K't'inga-class CGI model to represent it. Weren't there meetings between the writers and the SFX artists?

11. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it was just a really, really bad episode.

We're supposed to believe Klingons are going to recognize a Federation ship a century more advanced and brand new hull design but crew of the Enterprise-C couldn't recognize the Enterprise-D at all until told.:rolleyes:

No, writers and FX artists don't usually interact.
    The writers are most likely writing scripts at home while the special effects are done in a completely different studio most times not even on the Paramount lot. I believe George Lucas' company ILM was the EFX studio at one point. ILM is in a different county in Cali., than Paramount.
    The writers don't describe and aren't involved with what the ship will look like or what stock footage in used in FX scenes. A whole 'nother dept. handles all of that.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  12. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Let's not forget that these Klingons are fully aware of how much time has passed. Captain Garret was not. And she didn't really get a good look at the ship from the outside until AFTER she knew anyway...

13. F. King Daniel

Although various technical books have drawn a distinction between the Klingon battle cruiser as it appeared in The Original Series (D7) and The Motion Picture and beyond (K't'inga), I've always thought they were the meant to be the same. After all, the only difference is the added detail that wasn't possible on TOS' budget in the 1960's - and much of that detail (hull plating, glowing engines and torpedo tube etc) was added in the "Trials and Tribble-ations" flashbacks and in TOS-R.

That same K't'inga CG model would again represent a D7 in the Enterprise episode "Unexpected"

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The whole concept of Klingon cultists doesn't bother me. The concept of them running into space doesn't bother me. Really the odds that they just happen to run into Voyager does. That does stretch credibility to say the least.

15. exodus

Yeah, but the Federation layout designs and color schemes inside hasn't differed that drastically all those years.

16. Vito Corleone

Vito Corleone Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What can I say, my job gets messy. ;)

17. exodus

No, it was faith.
    Wasn't the whole reason they set out on the journey was that they were looking for the child in their prophecy?
    Acts of religion and faith don't have to be proven to be credible.
    Wasn't that the point of the ep.? :shrug:

18. Guy Gardener

The point is wrong.

Jones Town proved that.

Idjits attach faith to ungrateful and poisonous concepts constantly.

For that point to be right, the so called faithful would have to have faith in a concept that benefits them, even though it wouldn't matter if it didn't, since faith is more important than how well the concept treats the faithful.

Job was a punk.

19. exodus

Jones Town nor Job is relievant to the episode or current topic of conversation.

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a good thing they didn't just randomly run into the Enterprise D then... Alexander would be their messiah then, and that would screw up any religion more than it already is.