Insignia Class Starship c. 2299

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Patrickivan, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

[​IMG]

This is something I've been working on for years. I'm clearly inspired by the TOS insignia for the crew of the Enterprise. I've been playing around with shapes (quite literally for years now) trying to pin down something that I'm pleased with.

A goal of course is also to make it look Federation, even though it doesn't have the traditional nacelle/ hull(s) structure.

I'm going with the Sovereign styling, despite it not being my favorite, because this shape seems to really work with it. I've tried other era type shapes and I think this looks best.

It will be about 13 decks in height. Yet wider than the E-E.

The hard part is getting the bussard shapes right since they will be inbedded in the side of the main hull. I want it to also make sense while still being pleasing to look at of course.

I'm thinking of a small Voyager type upper hull deflector since the bottom protrusion is too far back for a deflector to make sense. Plus I have the main photorp deck sticking out (as you can make out) as well.

One main impulse engine. Two shuttle decks. And of course the normal array of windows, access ports, phaser banks, et c...

Any thoughts on this? Drawings are welcome. Sketch right over top of mine if you like. ;)

The end goal of course is to build it in Google SU.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You mean Trimble SU? ;)

Cool design btw. I'll be interested to see how it comes out.

3. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

2299? That puts her the same era as the Enterprise-B. She looks way more like a "modern" TNG era ship.

4. Patrickivan

That's what I said- Trimble SU... Ya... :rofl:

And thanks

Damnit... :klingon: You're absolutely correct... 2399 is what I meant. Damnit. Gah- this has been a crappy week. Can't get do anything right.

Oh well.

5. Patrickivan

Working on some more sketches today. I think I have the bussard shapes the way I want them... And refined the nose a bit. Again- just sketches to get the shapes I want for my TRIMBLE SU! It just doesn't sound right.

[​IMG]

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really, REALLY like that!! Original concept, but very Starfleet.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It shows the progression of ships. The saucer and secondary hull lost the neck in the sovereign, began to merge in Voyager, and now is finished.

8. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
  9. trynda1701

trynda1701 Commodore Commodore

Somewhere in the darkest reaches of the Universe!
    Re: Insignia Class Starship c. 2399

That is looking really nice, looking forward to seeing it fleshed out.

I can see this as being used by Starfleet testing out the newer technologies, perhaps slipstream drives? (It reminds me a little of the "Dauntless", while retaining the TOS insignia as its original inspiration.)

10. Patrickivan

Re: Insignia Class Starship c. 2399

Thanks!

That makes sense. Don't forget the poor little Defiant...

Thanks. I forgot all about the Dauntless... I certainly see similar lines.
    ---------------------

I made some progress in SU
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Patrickivan

Well- I had some more pictures, but wordpress is completely useless to me now. My computer keeps going nutty when I try to use it... And I hate photobucket- it's soooo slow. Arg.

12. sojourner

What's slow about photobucket? It uploads my files in seconds.

13. Patrickivan

I guess what I mean is not everyone's computer and internet connection is equal. I have yet to be on one computer that loads up those bloody photos from that site at a reasonable speed.

14. sojourner

Huh, strange. I just have a basic cable internet connection. I'm not paying extra for more bandwidth or anything.

15. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Well, I don't know what he has, but when I was using my dial up a few years ago, many of the phone companies digitally split the lines, and resulting in slow connection, I was able to get a technician to admit this.

16. Patrickivan

I'll give PB another shot- but in the mean time, a photo and upload to my WP took all of 5 seconds... It's a cheat, but it will do for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not leaving that texture on the hull... It works on the smaller ships I make, but not so much here.

I'm really liking where this is going and pleased that I'm finally seeing my ship built up here.

17. sojourner

Dailup =/= standard wideband connection.

18. Patrickivan

Just wanted to see her whole... She's docked at a starbase (well, an 1/8 of a starbase this part is about 600m) I'm making based on another thread... I am really excited about this ship. It doesn't look like I've done much, but I'm presently scribing dozens of tedious grid lines. It's a pain, but it's coming along nicely. The windows are what I'm putting off... Stupid TNG and after with their ships of a million windows! ;)

[​IMG]

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Looks nice!

20. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Very nice work, I hope we can see some closer views of it soon. What program are you using?