Who has the most realistic 'future'?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by QuarkforNagus, Feb 23, 2014.

1. QuarkforNagus

QuarkforNagus Lieutenant Red Shirt

When you think about the future, which television show, movie, and/or book is the most realistic? Why?

I think, when we come into contact with aliens, it will be like District 9. First, we'll probably be scared of them and then, if they don't go all Independence Day on us, we'll round them up and mistreat them.

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Who does it best?

Yea that movie is a pretty good portrayal of what would happen.

I'd say 1984. That book (and the movie for that matter) showed how governments react to people if they try to learn, either by books or other methods. They'll do their best to keep the people in the dark.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I think this would be better suited for the science fiction/fantasy forum than general TV/Media.

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Futurama

We have all this cool technology, but it hasn't changed our basic nature. We're still selfish, petty, drunken, lazy slobs...

:lol:

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Moved to SF/F.

I don't agree about 1984 - that was a book written about the time in which it was written and has so far proved a poor imitation of our actual future (far from the control of knowledge, we now live in a world where there is so much of it it is hard to filter or critically analyse and we are immune to scandal and political dissent because of overexposure - much closer to Brave New World)

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Star Trek, as Earth is largely portrayed. The future's only gotten better and better with each passing century. Don't see any reason that's going to change, especially if we ever develop a means of nearly infinite clean energy and the ability to replicate/produce food for everyone.

At worst, overpopulation will be a problem.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

A really big problem that can lead to war, ecological collapse, and famine to name a few. World population is already too high to support a standard of living for everyone as practiced by citizens of most western countries.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I think Demolition Man looked at the future realistically. They ditched the flying cars for top of the line cars, corporate buyouts, and a sub class living in poverty.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Almost Human does a good job of extrapolating current technological trends and developments and also their impact on general life.

What we see on the show are things currently in the development stage at various companies and universities and given the 30+ years in the future i expect to see some things in real life.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think it's the reverse, if we encounter aliens they will likely be much more advanced than us. District 9 is a pretty good parable, but not realistic.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

District 9 just has the roles reversed.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Minority Report minus the precog stuff.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The most all-encompassing realistic future, unfortunately(?) is probably the Matrix. Great misery is had by the human race before there is a truce. Most other speculative futures in visual SF only look at small aspects of it, Matrix takes into account the whole. Some of it's most important speculations: Strong AI equivalent of humanity; AI superseding humanity; AI re-creating man in a simulacrum of society; humanity and AI making "peace" to develop on it's own.

Two solutions to the Matrix: Transcendent humanity must supercede machine-only AI ahead of time. Or, like in the movie universe, if humanity must fight, going retro isn't the only way, humanity must become transhuman, and then develop it's own counter AI.

I like Almost Human, Continuum, they include plausible aspects of the future, but in order to tell a story they ignore many implications their world building postulates. Almost Human plays it particularly safe despite the narration stating law enforcement can't cope with future technological expansion. Person of Interest has an interesting AI, I'm curious where it goes.

RAMA

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Robocop, look at the state of Detroit now.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Brave New World. We'll become more shallow, self absorbed, more eager to control different "classes" of people.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The Time Machine (that remake) depicted the future well (the immediate one, not the Morlock future). AI, interactive menus, and 3D technology is already used.

17. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

..."To Serve Man"...

Ole' Rod had his finger on the pulse...

"...pass the gagh, please..."

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Minority Report (aside from the psychics) had a plausible future. Their highways and police dispatch responds to overpopulation.

19. Valley Forge

Valley Forge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Space 1999.....no, wait....never mind, the moon was just behind some clouds...

Vf

20. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Idiocracy