Supernatural 4x2 "Are you there God...?" SPOILERS/discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

In deference to Broberfett's thread below, :) here's the official discussion thread for this week. Or you can use his thread to discuss it.

2. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dean mentioned STTE.

I had an immediate sadface ;__;

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Best title ever. :lol:

Cool episode, too. :techman:

4. Dorian Thompson

I'm slow tonight. STTE?

Cool episode, indeed. I think Meg creeped me out most of all. Damn, I wish they hadn't killed of Nicki Aycox. She rocked. What rocked was Dean telling Castiel he'd kick his ass if he said that God worked in mysterious ways. :guffaw: Four horseman of the apocalypse, fires, and five dollar a gallon gas, oh my!!:guffaw:

Castiel sure took a menacing turn when he threatened to send Dean back into hell. :eek: The casting director deserves a bloody medal for getting Misha Collins in there for the audition. Once again, the weak spot was Ruby. Damn, but that girl is boring. She's not bad. She's just plain boring.

5. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah wtf is STTE?

6. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

STTE = Star Trek: The Experience. Dean mentioned it along with other cool west-coast hangouts like the Bunny Ranch.

66 seals? Revelation (singular, not plural) only mentions seven. Where the crap are they getting this lore? Oh right, it's a FICTION show. lol!

I loved seeing Castiel again. I am glad he seems to be the regular this season.

7. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Why no grading in this thread? Terrific episode, and I thoroughly got a kick out of Castiel putting Dean in his place. This show gets better and better.

8. Dorian Thompson

I've never put grading in the threads. It seems so arbitrary. I prefer discussion about the good and the bad. Most of the people are enjoying the combustible Dean/Castiel chemistry, but a few of the TWOP Dean maniacs were bristling. :lol: They're priceless.

Misha Collins is a, pardon the expression, godsend for this show. Talk about one of the great guest characters. Damn, Dean is gonna be pisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssed off when he finds out what Sam's been up to with Ruby. Meg called that one right. Damn the new Ruby is boring as hell. Katie Cassidy was ten times better.

9. mswood

You act like in the world they live in that they would take the "Bible" as a factual accurate historic document.

Which based on the Bible itself, and the shows history for folklore, mythology and urban legends is laughable.

Most of the works inspired by the Jewish and Christian faiths are not in either the Torah or the bible.

And in fact,the name of this angel character is based on those works not the Bible. And more of that is coming up (again thanks tvguide for that one). Since throughout human history thousands of various religious have been worshipped and been believed to be absolutely accurate, why would the writers assume that the Bible instead of just being an hodgepodge of myth, fact, metaphor and lots of incomplete material is 100% accurate?

Not that the Bible wouldn't be taken as a good starting point, but I do know that several elements coming up are in material dating thousands of years, just as materials of the bible are. So I wouldn't rule out that there is some actual historical fiction that some of it is based upon (I wouldn't think it would be exactly the same from any source, as I would as a writer want to acknowledge the past but leave room for any of those ancients myths/texts to be considered metaphor and be inaccurate.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  10. mswood

For the first time, I think its safe to say that Supernatural has two winners out of the gate (usually the 2nd episode isn't a good episode, last season though it was the reverse where the 2nd episode was the keeper and I could live without the opener).

While I didn't like this as much as the first episode, it still was a solid episode. Especially notable for the larger cast and most of them giving very strong performances. Nikki was at her best (and some one who didn't care for the actress until the final two episodes of season one).

Nice to see Dean be honest to Sam (I can't wait for that shoe to drop).

But the episode wasn't as focused as last weeks, which does hurt it a bit.

The largest problems remain the new Ruby.

And to make my point, lets use the demon Meg. WHen we saw Meg move on to another host, the actor playing it keep the same mannerism and dialogue style (except when trying to pass himself off as the host).

This should be no different. Even if Ruby is back peddling to try and keep Sam motivated and not just fall into despair after Dean left, she should still seem like the same character.

Here that isn't the case, at all.

Whether this is a writers problem or an actress problem is really unknown. But it is a problem. And I am starting to dread the episode where Ruby as a larger role.

But besides that a solid 2nd episode, one that (if print reviewers hadn't ruined parts in advance) would have surprised me for Dean being honest with Sam, with them bringing in that Lilith is trying to free Lucifer, ect. All things that I am surprised haven't been drug out far longer.

I wonder how long they will play out Sam not being honest with Dean. I am hopeful for November sweeps, always good to clear the air.

And it also appears that (I would assume) Mary's secrets are exposed next episode.

11. Dorian Thompson

The new Ruby sucks big time. Oh how I enjoyed Katie. Maybe she can come back as Lilith? Pretty please?

Yeah, I thought Jared nailed Nicki Aycox's voice inflections pretty well when he played possessed. Damn, Meg is right about him not exorcising Ruby from the body of her host. Sam's falling into grayer and grayer territory morally and he didn't want to hear it.

I loved Castiel's menacing smackdown when Dean called him a dick. Not many people besides the awesome Bobby (you are so right, Dean) can smack Dean Winchester down like that. :evil:

12. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You never know... there could be things out there that are unexplainable!

I loved how they finally used a Star Trek reference in the show. Last week it was Star Wars, now hopefully it'll be more Star Trek :) Although I don't know what Star Trek really has to do with spirits :)

13. Dorian Thompson

With the increased competition of the Office premiere and the two hour Grey's premiere (gag me), Supernatural scored 3.24 million viewers with a 1.3 demo. Not bad. Smallville also dropped accordingly. It'll keep the show on the air for its fifth season so that Kripke can tell his 5 year story. It's already been sold into second run syndication in Canada and Australia. Things are looking up.

14. mswood

Just to depress. Supernatural's performance in the 18-34 Demo was the lowest for the CW this week.

Even the rerun of 90210 (with 2.337 million viewers) scored a 1.5 in that demo (we had a 1.2).

And to rub salt in the wound, Privileged (with a mere 1.862 million viewers) scored a 1.3 in the demo.

Thats just Fing depressing.....

Viewer total was good though, and could easily managed to outperform anything from last season.

15. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly how many days per week is Privileged airing? I swear that I've come across that turd at *least* three times in a 6 days period.

16. mswood

Twice a week (though local markets might air it more often).

17. Dorian Thompson

Mswood, it's good enough. The show is already selling into second run syndication in other countries. Alternative channels are started to air it from the beginning in Canada and Oz. Supernatural isn't going anywhere. Warner will keep it on the air for its five season intended run. Everything's cool. It's too much of a cash cow for Warners.

Where are you getting the 18-34 demo? It hasn't been reported. The 18-49 was a 1.3.

18. mswood

Oh, I know the show should be safe for its proposed 5 year run (still pissed about getting shorted last year), but losing out in that demo to a show with 1.89 million viewers is like losing to Life Is Wild....or Runaway...

And TVbythenumbers have been posting the 18-34 fast nationals since the first new episodes of the season have been airing (which is nice to see) so between Travis finals and tvbythenumbers I can track the changes between Fast and finals.

Though I do suspect the hour long Office (a great demo performer for its total audience), the two hour Grey (damn them to hell), probably hurt us more then normal in the demo (I am less sure how Survivor and CSI compare in the 18-34 demo (so can't say if they were more competition last night).

19. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

I really liked this epeisoe. Good mythology aspects and good chracter stuff with having to deal with the repurcusions of their job.

20. Dorian Thompson

I really liked Meg calling them on the fact that, had they realized she was a girl possessed, just 50 words of Latin would have saved her life. It's true. Meg's story is pretty tragic. Of course, it's really the demon's fault, but it was the perfect guilt button to push--and Sam *is* dealing with Ruby, a woman possessed.