Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

A shot like this is also in TWOK, after the first attack of the Reliant. Somehow they moved the camera through the Reliant's roll bar thingy. I always wondered how.

2. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I used to have 2 D1 decks at my studio...cutting edge for the time, it wouldn't at all be unthinkable that they'd be using that as its WAY better than 1" which I also had at one time.

A rainbow cross-talk affect won't happen over component nearly as much as composite, but always occurs with composite. D1 is a Digital composite signal. Beta/SP & Digital Betacam are component and wouldn't show that unless high frequency detail (more of a moire effect than rainbow cross-talk) was present.

3. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

You'd have to show me a frame grab from the special or give me a timecode to look for so I can see exactly what you're talking about. But there are two D1 VTR's on this page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-1_(Sony)

D1 is 4:2:2 component. D2 is composite. :)

4. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Heads up! Fry's Electronics has Season 5 and Unification on sale today through November 27th:

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5: $49.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation Unification: $12.99

Ad here: http://www.frys.com/ads/page8

If you bought them already at a brick and mortar store on Tuesday, be sure to bring this ad with you and get a price match if available! :)

5. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

DOH!

Meant D2 haha (i never had D1 just D2)

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also from Cause and Effect, the remastering of the explosion was a little "too" good.

Now when the breakaway model explodes, you can clearly see the bussard collector fly off to the right. You can see it painted brightly red and yellow, and it looks like it popped off an AMT model kit. I never noticed that in SD. Now I can't help but see it.

They would have been wise to paint it gray.

7. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember reading an interview w/ McFadden back during the original run. She seemed exasperated because she was asked so often, and wanted to make it clear her uniform was teal. Because teal is blue/green, I'm sure variations in lighting could bring out one or the other in different scenes.

8. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So I just watched "Darmok" and I have to say so far I'm a little bit disappointed in regards to picture quality. While the scence on the planet looked absolutly outstanding, I found everything on the bridge a lot less sharp looking then in previous seasons. I thought it was especially note worthy everytime there is a close up of Jonathan Frakes. In earlier seasons one could literally count every little wrinkle in the actors faces but if you look at Frake's forehead in "Darmok" it seems almost a bit hazy.
    Again it still looks very good but the previous seasons just seemed sharper. Maybe it will get better in the next episodes.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, I've only watched the first few episodes thus far, but the PQ is noticeably softer than previous seasons. A little disappointing.

Still streets ahead of the DVD's though, particularly in terms of contrast and colour.

10. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the way this particular season was shot. Just going back to the DVDs and the lighting, sharpness etc all seemed slightly muted compared to earlier seasons. I dare say it's a lot more noticeable now it's on bluray.

11. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Yes I've noticed it as well, any time we're on the bridge it's softer. It sure seems like a stylistic choice because it's there in every episode of S5 that I've watched.

When they cut away to another part of the ship it's sharper. For example: when they have a conversation with 10 Forward in Power Play it cuts back and forth between the bridge and 10 Forward, and the 10 Forward shots are sharper (ignoring the 1:41 of SD footage they had to use, of course).

12. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

From what I understand, Marvin Rush preferred the softer look in his photography, which is why everything doesn't seem as sharp and crisp as the earlier seasons looked. He'd often use a diffusion technique. Just watch "Time's Arrow" and you'll notice all of the San Fransisco scenes have an extremely soft look to them. The same kind of look can be found in films like the 1978 SUPERMAN. Rush never went to that extreme in his Enterprise-D settings, but you can notice he'd take such liberties in other settings such as the Klingon interiors, Romulus, and many other settings.

13. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But Rush has been there since the beginning of S3. :confused:

14. MakeshiftPython

It was something he gradually used more and more over the years, not something employed a lot at very beginning, which is why S3 is for the most part crisp and sharp compared to what came after.

15. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well then i'm just glad he left after the 2nd ep of S6. :rommie:

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yes, I spotted the diffusion in Time's Arrow from day one - clearly an artistic choice in that episode. But, having watched a few episodes from this season now, even the (relatively) sharpest scenes are quite obviously softer than most of what's come before.

I am now moderately disappionted in the technical presentation of this set, but understand it may have not been avoidable.

Still, as I stated earlier, the boost in contrast and colour is a decided improvement on the pitiful S5 DVD's.

17. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, this slightly soft appearance is certainly due to the way in which the show was shot. I'm screen-capping Season 5 right now, and comparing like-for-like Blu with DVD you can see the same differences in sharpness, albeit camouflaged in SD due to the limitations of the resolution.

CBS Digital tried wherever possible to get the best out of the material, but they are limited by the way in which it was shot 25 years ago. They were certainly surprised about some of the "questionable" filming techniques used when they saw the raw footage.

18. LogicDeLuxe

LogicDeLuxe Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

And the entire run of DS9, afaIk. I hope, that this is not a bad sign. (I didn't watch season 5 blu-ray yet.)

19. MakeshiftPython

Watching the fifth season on blu, the softer look is actually growing on me this time. It never looked that great in SD, as it made it appear more video like than anything else. I remember being fooled into thinking they might have switched to shooting with video because of that. Now with the season in HD and in more vibrant colors, I'm fine with the use of soft filters.

If/when DS9 gets the HD treatment, we should definitely expect the soft look being much more prominent on that show than it ever was on TNG. I always thought that show is more suitable with that soft look than TNG anyway. I don't think VOY had that much soft filter, but an HD treatment of that might say otherwise. I think ENT definitely did, so much that many thought the live action footage on blu was just upconverted like the f/x.

20. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll have to check that out when I get up to that episode..lol So far the season looks great. The show looks a little darker and a little more muted this season, I guess they changed lighting, and film stock again this season.

-Chris