Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's battle armour.

Elbow pads and shit.

Only losers who don't know what they are doing need kevlar.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

From what I've read it sounds like Michael Peterson working with the team isn't going to be a regular thing.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wouldn't expect it to be. This show's brief is to focus on the normal(ish) people trying to cope with a superpowered world.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jokes aside: If anyone should've been fast-tracked for a clearance upgrade aside from Avengers already on the SHIELD payroll to get them "in the loop", it should be Cap.

6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

While, from an in-universe perspective, that makes a ton of sense, I can completely understand wanting to deal with the significance of Coulson still being alive in Avengers 2 when everyone is together. It makes more sense from a dramatic perspective. Plus, I think they want to deal with "what happened to Coulson" before they bring in the Avengers.

FWIW, Captain America seems to be based in Arlington in Triskelion, where Coulson's team hasn't gone yet, so there's probably no need to know. Plus, Steve Rogers can be a bit temperamental at times and there's no way to know how he'd react to believing he'd been lied to. Really, the most logical people to tell would be Romanova and Barton who have shown themselves to be more loyal company men than Rogers.

9. DEWLine

10. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, it's interesting that we can't have an entirely United States-centric view of ratings anymore (or a television-centric view, fwiw). Although I can't imagine that the Canadian numbers should be all that disproportionate to US numbers.* Are there big shows in the US that aren't airing in Canada? Number one new show isn't the same as number one show, after all. What else is new this season?

* Throughout this post, I resisted desperately the urge to refer to the United States as American or use the adjective American. I'm proud of myself for succeeding. ;)

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The obvious show not mentioned in that CTV press release (which has a chart for the top 20 of Canada's Most-Watched Programs) is The Walking Dead. I guess it's not as popular in Canada as in the US. Perhaps AMC isn't as widely available? :shrug:

12. Marc

Well I speak to my wife's cousin Walking Dead is very popular with her :)

In Canada is carried on AMC.

I'm suprised that Agents of Shield is up so high but Arrow doesn't make the top 20 programs.

To keep relevant to the subject of the thread. Would overseas have much of impact on whether the show survives the first season or is the most the area of the distributor/producers area than the broadcaster?

13. DEWLine

Rest assured that we get pretty much everything we want to get from the States via cable and satellite providers. Including The Walking Dead on AMC.

14. Alidar Jarok

It could. Certainly, if the show is profitable enough overseas, it would affect how much they charge for licensing fees for ABC. They could accept less money from them because they'll make their money elsewhere, which would make the show more profitable for ABC even with less than ideal ratings.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

No overseas broadcasters would purchase a show if the show has not proven to be successful in its home market. So for the typical show, most overseas broadcasters would wait to see season 1's american ratings before making a decision to buy. So if a show performs poorly in season 1, it would probably get axed since overseas broadcasters would not even be interested in it.

Taking Lost as an example, season 1 only aired over here 6 months after its american broadcast because my local broadcaster decided to get Lost only after it had solid ratings for its entire season 1 run in the united states. However season 2 and onwards was broadcast simultaneously on the same day as in the states because my local broadcaster knew it was popular over here too.

Having said all that, Agents of Shield is not your typical american show because of its MCU connection. Because the Avengers sits at the number 1 spot in the box office, most broadcasters view the show as a safe bet. That is why they are willing to purchase the show before they have seen any ratings.

So at least for Agents of Shield, I think overseas ratings will have some weight in determining if the show has additional seasons.

16. Alidar Jarok

Things were very different when Lost aired. Agents of SHIELD is currently airing overseas so they haven't waited until the second season. It airs on Channel 4 in the UK, for example. Also, I assume the question meant "overseas" as in non-US since it also airs in Canada even though that's obviously not across an ocean.

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I haven't lived in Canada for about a year and a half now, but when I was there we had AMC, although not in HD which was really annoying.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we get american shows over here all the time, usually within a week or two of them airing in the states. The days of being a year or more behind (as I think we were often with TNG IIRC) are long gone.

19. Marc

Overseas broadcasts can also depend on their ratings period.

For example in Australia the ratings count over mid-Feb to mid-November with a few breaks (and we don't have sweeps)

It used to be that the new season for a show would start a few months after broadcast in the U.S simply to fit the ratings time.

Now they do a fast track where the episode airs broadcast fairly close to the U.S broadcast (such to timezones) and I think part of this is due to tormenting where people can get new eps very quickly (as well as being tired of the bullshit behaviour of the Australia tv networks)

According to wiki the show started October 13th in Australian it's still on there. No idea of the ratings though.

20. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, simultaneous broadcast has a lot to do with cutting down piracy. It's also why they avoid waiting on worldwide releases of movies (although, these days, it seems like world releases are earlier than the US release).