So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I realized that shortly after I'd started! I guess I should amend to say that I've just finished Dawn and am now about a third of the way into Adulthood Rites. Really enjoying these books!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Troublesome Minds is a good one you don't really hear much about.

3. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Don't be so hard on Scott being in Vulcan's Glory.

I haven't finished the book yet, so I don't know if it will say that Scott is a permanent member or something, but like I said earlier:

I don't see why Scott couldn't board Pike's Enterprise, fall in love with the Enterprise, and then get transferred to another ship for a few years.

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will have Foul Deeds Will Ris wrapped up this weekend, then, Killie, I plan to use your chronological list, and begin my own adventure reading everything in that order.

5. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I love Octavia Butler!
    The Lilith's Brood trilogy is really excellent. I've read most of her books. My favorite is Wild Seed, which involves an immortal ancient mutant woman trapped in a love/hate relationship with another immortal, this one who survives by jumping from body to body, killing his hosts when he leaves their body.

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the first of her work that I've read, and it has really drawn me in. I will definitely be checking out the rest of her catalogue!

7. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Re-reading some more, due to being on an unemployment budget....started work again yesterday, so hopefully can afford some new books by next month. Being a seasonal employee sucks when you're poor, it's awesome when you're actually able to save some dough during the working times.

I'm on the 'Dominion War' series, about halfway through the first book by John Vornholt. I have no complaints, it's well-written, the story is engaging, and there's a nice mix of character drama and action. The characters in the story are a little cartoonish, there's no real development aside from the developments Ro has to make in Trek literature to become a well-rounded character. The minor one-shot characters are interesting also, albeit stereotypical. I don't remember the story from the last time I read the series, but I don't find myself surprised when the plot takes an obvious twist. Just good, solid entertainment.

8. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the moment, "Disavowed", then after that, I'll probably try and get back to finishing "Protectors" and starting "Acts of Contrition"

9. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm reading it now and really enjoying it so far. I originally met Dave because we both worked at Gallaudet (he mentions working there in the acknowledgments of the book), and having the same background as he did to write the book, I must say it's really well done. Can't really review until I'm finished, but so far it's excellent.

10. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished: Neptune's Inferno by James D. Hornfischer.

Just started: Section 31: Disavowed by David Mack.

11. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just wrapped up TOS: Foul Deeds Will Rise. Excellent novel, Mr. Cox. and that climax/twist at the end with the villain, wow that was very good. Thank you so much for giving us an adventure in the TFF/TUC era. I can't wait for more.
    Last night, I just started TOS: From History's Shadow. I'm already getting sucked into this one. I didn't even think I'd find it interesting.

12. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Xenogenesis trilogy is my favorite, but Kindred is pretty good, too - give that a try!

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished rereading Star trek Titan Orion's Hounds by Christopher L.Bennett I thought it was a good story. I'm now rereading Typhon pact Brinkmanship by Una McCormack she said in a recent podcast interviewthe G&T show
    That a Tzenkethi character that appears in Brinkmanship will appear again in The new Ds9 book .The missing continuing a story that began in Brinkmanship she talks about the Tzenkethi storyline will bring a lot of surprise twists and turns in the new book
    The interview with Una is really good .If your a fan of Una's books the interview she talks about writing the Crimson shadow and her new Ds9 book coming out in a few weeks.:)

14. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I just re-read that book, I hope she comes back. Very interesting character, if I'm interpreting this correctly.

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm rereading Dorothy Sayers' Whose Body? (the first of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries) for the first time in about fifteen years.

Two things stand out for me. First, the casual and pervasive anti-Semitism. The victim of the murder may be (but isn't) a Jewish financier, and Sayers' characters drip with prejudice. And second, Sayers writes Wimsey here as Bertie Wooster by way of Damon Runyon. This is a personality that, if I remember correctly, gets "rebooted" later in the series (Wimsey becomes less colloquial and a little more together), and I'm wondering if this came about because Sayers began to fall in love with her own creation. (Wimsey's eventual wife, Harriet Vane, is widely recognized as an author surrogate.)

I generally don't remember how Whose Body? goes down. I do remember how Wimsey knows that the corpse isn't the financier Levy (the corpse isn't circumcised). But the motive and the perp, that's totally gone out of mind. So, in a lot of ways, this feels like reading a new book. :)

16. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished reading Star Trek Brinkmanship by Una McCormack . She's done another Pod cast interview at http://www.visionarytrek.com She talks about writing Brinkmanship and the Crimson Shadow and The Missing . Again she mentions important story arcs for certain characters that were in Brinkmanship. That also will be an important part storyline plot for some
    Charcters like Beverly Crusher and as I mentioned in a previous a Tzenkethi character will be returning too.Beverly is going to have a great storyline on ds9. Una said she's wanted to have Katherine Pulaski in one of her books and was glad she finally got to feature her in one of her stories.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  17. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I just finished V-Wars: The Crimson Queen, a compilation of the first six issues of the V-Wars comic written by Jonathan Maberry, who originally created V-Wars as a shared world vampire anthology series. (Full disclosure -- I've contributed stories to two of the three anthologies.) It's really good action stuff, with some excellent character work.

18. EnriqueH

I just finished "Vulcan's Glory" by DC Fontana.

Fast read.

I can't believe how well Fontana captured the Pike era characters. It was so seamless and believable to read Fontana, and simultaneously see the "episode" unreel in my mind's eye.

She captures Pike, Number One, Dr. Boyce and Spock perfectly! I felt she captured a young Scotty well too, though he's very much a sidebar
    character.

Why didn't Fontana write more Trek books? This is one of the best Trek books I've read.

Which Pike novel should I read next? I didn't notice the Pike books in the chronology.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Burning Dreams by Margaret Bonnano is probably the definitive Pike novel.

Just off the top of my head, there's also Jerry Oltion's "Captain's Table" novel, "The Rift" by Peter David, "Legacy" by Michael Jan Friedman, and "Children of Kings" by Dave Stern.

20. EnriqueH

Thanks, Greg.

I have them all, but I was just wondering if I should read them in a certain order.

I read "The Rift" several years ago and remember enjoying it.