What can the iPad be used for?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by ReadyAndWilling, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Multi-tasking will be supported via software update this fall on the iPad, so will it be supported on iPhone 3GS with iPhone OS 4.0.

It isn't a complete laptop replacement, but for some people, it will be. For example, for me, it would completely replace my laptop when I travel because I use my laptop for A) being entertained on long flights - iPad check B) Surfing the Internet and checking email - iPad check C) Taking notes in meetings and or recording the audio - iPad check

I carry a small laptop around for all that, but honestly, it is too much for my needs, too bulky, as someone mentioned takes time to boot up and shutdown, have to set it somewhere like your lap where it is farther away, is heavier.

I like the format of iPad type devices, smaller, lighter, faster to get going on. It has all the features I need when I travel and will be easier to manage. iPhone could probably do the same stuff, but the screen is small, and honestly I'd prefer a bigger screen, like the iPad, but still have an easier to manage format than a laptop.

I'm not however closed minded to other devices in the same format as the iPad. HP has some good competition coming for the iPad, and I will look at that device as well and see which one suites me best. I do however love the 3G deal included with the 3G version of the iPad, I think it is a good value in terms of surf anywhere pricing. I love the idea of these tablets/slates though, and for me, I can see it replacing my notebook quite easily.

2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm glad you got a chance to play with it but sorry to hear that you didn't like it. It has been my experience that once someone actually uses it and understands what its use is, gets what its about. However from reading your post, I don't think this would appeal to you anyway.

I agree that the iPad is not for everyone and maybe one day, a few versions from now it will be a laptop replacement. I'm glad you could add your voice to the debate and hopefully we can continue this way.

I also think that you can't judge anything by price alone, you have to judge it on value. To me, the iPad offers me a lot of value. Looking at all it does, in a small lightweight package that I can take pretty much anywhere.

I have built a couple of Keynote presentations on the iPad now. Two to be exact and while it was not as easy as using Keynote or Powerpoint on my Mac, if I had to do it while I was traveling I could.

3. Defiant

Defiant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You know, one crazy idea that would suddenly make this work a WHOLE lot better for me, though I know it would add to weight and complexity: make the iPad in a tablet style, where I could flip open and twist the screen lid around - and have an e-Ink display on the opposite side for eBook/PDF/Doc reading. As light and ultra-thin as both the LED backlight and the e-Ink display are, it's do-able, though the mechanical design and weight would become more critical.

Crazy, I know, but that one design change, if the price point could be equal, suddenly makes this a virtual no-brainer for the e-Book market. To go from $200-$250 to $500 for a larger screen and all the extra internet capability, is a pretty good deal. Still needs a copule of buttons - a least on the e-Ink side.

I still fret over internet security on these types of devices, but video playback and basic web services would make that suddenly a lot more interesting...

4. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

No need to have to flip it over!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/video-pixel-qis-e-ink-lcd-hybrid-screen-demoed-at-computex/

I don't think they're in any shipping products yet, but Pixel Qi has been ramping up their production lines so hopefully soon. Essentially it's an LCD/e-Ink hybrid... when the backlight is on, you get a full color LCD. When it's off, you get black and white, low-power e-Ink.

5. Defiant

Defiant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

THAT's IT!!!! THAT is what I want! Yup - if iPad had that screen, I'd seriously think about it. I can't read on a glowing screen for a long time, but I love e-ink displays... That is very cool

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  6. I just watched the whole video - HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! E-ink like screen with no refresh or speed problems and switching between regular LCD. :eek: Why hasn't this hit the market yet?

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

8. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple points.

One why do people make arguments that they can't see spending $500 (and change) for something that is a passive media device. Do we not already do just that, and have done that for decades. It's called television and they are in more homes then computers. Hell we had VCR, then DVD players, and cable boxes, then DVR's and Blu-Ray players all for having a stable media device.

So clearly there is absolutely a market, a vast one at that. That is geared to being a fully passive video device.

I love mine (with very few quibbles). I have read several books now and have had no problem (one quibble is in direct sun light, ie if you read outdoors, it works poorly, but thats something I don't do outdoors) and have not been bothered at all by weight (again I have several large books that weight more then the ipod).

Internet as mentioned above is avery beautiful thing, but it isn't what eats the most of my time.

Video isn't perfect (no 1080, but 720) and the ability to take with me a vast selection of video and get into almost any position (sorry no laptop can do this) worth a screen large enough to make the viewing experience enjoyable (unlike phone/ a large mp3 players). One that I can easily use in bed at night with my boyfriend and not disturb each other, and both fit on the bed (this was a problem with laptops, even our net books taking up to much room).

Comics, simply put I would have bought it just for this. I have half a TB of digital comics that I love being able to fully access and enjoy.

My best friend is using it for children books (the color something quite common in books for children) and screen quality really are a joy. And on the go so much easier for story time (in the car, waiting for the other kids fits easily in a her purse and allows a variety in the amount of space one book would take).

It truly is a great all around mobile media device, in a way that laptops aren't. And on the media device side it has one vast, vast advantage that has nothing to do with its mobility or weight. And thats it's exceptional battery life. I mean to watch the Theatrical cuts of the Lord of the Rings and not have to recharge or be wired in, is simply not possible on any laptop I have seen.

I have yet to travel with this, but clearly as a mobile media device its ability to nail so many forms of media and do it for such a long period of time and in such a small (yet still large enough to be enjoyable) should be a huge boon for travelers, and packing.

Now to another quibble, the lack of camera's. Personally I hate cameras. Don't use them on my phone, don't use them on my computers, just don't use them. And I certainly don't see the need for one to really be used to take photos. But I can understand for people who like to video conference (I have a coworker who's only means of seeing her family is this form of communication) and in that regard I do hope they eventually add this.

Quibble #3 is being addressed and according to news reports will work on the first versions of the Ipad (which is nice thank you), and thats multitasking. Not a huge issue for my use, as it does allow my primary multitasking music and reading already, but it is still something that is needed and should be up very soon.

Quibble #4 If you are a huge video watcher from the net as opposed to owning your own media (my personal preference) then its forever lack of flash is limiting. But this hardly ever effects me. But everyone is different on this issue. And for many this can be a huge factor.

Games, while the games on the Ipad so far are far, far superior to the products for the iphone, they aren't going to replace console or Computer games. But they kick the crap out of any portable game system I have seen. But this is something that I not that into (my boyfriend is far, far more the gammer then I will ever be).

And for those who are looking for something to fully replace your laptop, this isn't it. For starters it isn't supposed to as it needs a home computer (laptop or desktop to act as its hub).

But to expect it to, seems illogical to me. When laptops first came out, how long did it take to get laptops that were cheaper and did everything as well as desktops? I don't even know if we are there now and laptops have been out for many, many years.

Another often mentioned complaint is that the device isn't geared for being a creative platform, but one of consumption. Which isn't 100% true but it is geared more for consumption then creation.

But I don't see that as being much of a limiting factor as most of the computer use in the US is consumption and not creative.

But it is a luxury item (as all media devices and computers devices are).

For me and my boyfriend we both loved it enough that we ordered are 2nd one today. And neither of us are exclusive Apple consumers as we both have computers both from apple and others, mp3 players from apple and others, and only one of us has had an iphone. In fact its the first apple product that we both immediately fell in love with.

9. mswood

The video states it still a work in progress. So I would expect several months still at the very least.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I've recently downloaded the Marvel App. Best app ever!

11. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently they had some production problems which were recently cleared up. But they say they're now ramped up to full production.

It is a little... worrying, as the company has been promoting this for a while now and a real product using it has yet to appear. But I'm still hopeful!

12. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd really like to see a working example 'in the field.' The concept is tremendously exciting! :techman:

13. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got my second one in the mail this weekend. We use them pretty much like most people would use a laptop (and then some).

I hate laptops, have to work with them every day. Compared to any nice desktop they ain't good at anything. They are a major pain in the butt, in fact. So, in our house there are no laptops, but there will be even more iPads (or comparable devices).

Unfortunately, there won't be any competition from MS or HP in the near future, but I hear about Android based devices might be coming out.

Today, I found the Captain's Log app - it has an LCARS interface.

:)

14. mswood

It is very cool. But for myself I can't wait to start editing my scanned comics into a book format (probably start next week when I have a bit more free time), currently just reading them as images (which is till works great as you can still easily expand the page (or even just a panel), and unlike a laptop (or desktop) its orientation can display the book in a proper manner.

If you are a comic fan, as far as major players there is nothing out there that beats the ipad as a comic reader.

For just that, it was worth my money.

15. mswood

Very true, and I want to actually see how it handles colors and there gradients.

I also am very hesitant about trusting video's (and this includes apple, as I waited to actually use one before making a purchase) as a my primary source of opinion about a product as it's so easy to manipulate.

But if it does what they say as well as they say, and it doesn't take a lot of power or size then thats huge.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The video made it sound like it wasn't actually e-paper but rather 'e-paper-like' when in "full reflection mode." It just looked like an old B&W LED screen essentially.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Net browsing, email, eBook reading, and MLB.COM At Bat are my favorite uses for the iPad.

18. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

What's better? Wi-Fi iPad or 3G iPad?

19. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

if you don't ever plan to use it as a navigation device, get the Wifi only version. GPS is the only other difference between the two. And if I don't turn off the celluar connection while I'm on wifi, then I lose about an hour of battery time.

20. Well uh, depends on whether you want to pay $30 a month for internet access many places (I didn't say anywhere b/c ATT's 3G service misses a lot of parts of the country).

Other than the 3G monthly fee, they are both the same device.