Stargate SG-1 vs. Voyager

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Maxillius, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Maxillius

Maxillius Commander Red Shirt

Has anyone noticed that there are two stories on SG-1 that are almost exactly the same as two Voyager episodes?

The two I'm talking about are:

Stargate SG-1 (7x8) "Space Race" -> ST:Voyager (7x3) "Drive"
    Stargate SG-1 (9x12) "Collateral Damage" -> ST:Voyager (1x7) "Ex Post Facto"

Yes, there are differences, but the similarities are too glaringly obvious to ignore. And in the case of "Space Race" and "Drive", they're only 3 years apart! Someone must've noticed, even though it's the latter that got my attention ("Collateral Damage" and "Ex Post Facto", 11 years apart).

Weird, eh?

2. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SG-1: "Beneath the Surface" / VOY: "Workforce"
    SG-1: "Prisoners" / VOY: "The Chute"

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    somebuddyX likes this.
  3. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Shows that the writing for both shows was lazy at best?;)

4. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that may be at times, but it doesn't necessarily show that. Look at Farscape: plenty of those episodes have the same premise as eps of Star Trek and other shows, but they do it in a new bizarre way.

somebuddyX likes this.
  5. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Simpsons did it.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that one. There are superficial similarities, in that our heroes are sent to an alien prison unjustly where they adapt into prison life. Certainly, the Stargate is used in a similar manner to the titular Chute in the Voyager episode, but beyond that the two are rather different storylines.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

SG-1: Window of Opportunity / TNG: Cause and Effect

:p

I don't care whether sci-fi shows "borrow" from each other as long as they do a good job of it.

somebuddyX likes this.
  8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

We are talking about Voyager here so it's far from a good, or even decent job.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I don't find it as strange because a lot of scifi tells similar tales with different twists and takes. I mean, Star Wars borrows heavily from other elements but gives us something new as a result. As others have said, it isn't so much the borrowing as it is how well it is executed.

Personally, if SG-1 borrowed from VOY, I doubt it was from a place of malice or laziness. A friend of mine, who works in the film industry, mentioned recently that he sometimes watches other films in the same genre to get inspired while writing.

I'm also generally more forgiving of SG-1 because their episodes build a universe and feel more character driven, but VOY is hit and miss in terms of continuity and character moments.

somebuddyX likes this.
  10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Just annoying. I loved SG-1 and hated Voyager, so the two sharing stories just irked me on SG-1's behalf.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  11. Maxillius

Maxillius Commander Red Shirt

I should note that without exception, the SG-1 version of the story is the better one. I don't know if it comes down to production, acting, directing or just the passage of time. I suspect it's all of these.

I never thought of "Window of Opportunity"/"Cause And Effect" for the simple fact that "Window of Opportunity is soooo much better. It's more engaging, less obviously repetitive, has HUMOR, and does a great job of building the characters of O'Neill and Teal'c. "Cause and Effect", storywise, basically didn't happen at the end. In-universe, you may as well skip the whole part from about 2 minutes before the opening title to 5 minutes before the closing credits.

I just cited SG1-SR, VOY-D, SG1-CD and VOY-EPF because they're the most obvious. And "Collateral Damage" is the closest to the point that it's almost a blatant copy and I can't believe they got away with it (despite telling the story better).

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

"Window of Opportunity" is basically SG-1's version of the film Groundhog Day.

somebuddyX likes this.
  13. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

^Indeed. I would hazard a guess SG-1 was influenced more by Groundhog Day than any ST episode ...

14. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Finding the point of origin (see what I did there?) for a story can sometimes be a tricky process. I agree that WoO was more inspired by Groundhog Day, but then the question is was C&E also inspired by Groundhog Day or does its roots lie elsewhere?

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cause and Effect aired in March 1992, nearly a year before Groundhog Day was released in theatres, February 1993. So whatever else Cause and Effect was based on, it most certainly wasn't Groundhog Day.

somebuddyX likes this.
  16. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

Whereas Voyager just seemed like Ground hogs day since the ship would re-boot back to new at the start of each episode.

somebuddyX likes this.